Couch to 5k!

Options
13»

Replies

• jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used to have bad shin pain during walking/running. Here are two things that gave me complete relief: First, make sure to stretch and warm up your ankles, shins, and calves before exercise. You can do this sitting in a recliner with your legs horizontal to floor. As best you can, rotate your feet in a circular motion, pulling your toes toward your knee for half the circle and pushing your toes as far away from your body for the other half of the circle. Do this for about 30 seconds clockwise and 30 seconds counterclockwise and you should be good to go. Second, to help minimize cramps, make sure to stay well hydrated and replenish electrolytes you lose from sweating. On another note, since you can run 2 minutes already, you are going to do great with the couch to 5K. Don't try to figure out the logic behind the varying mixes of walk/run times in each week's program, just trust and follow the instructions for each session. Don't go too fast and don't be aftraid to repeat a week if necessary. As long as you stick to your MFP target calorie intake and stay consistent with walking/running program, you will absolutely lose as much weight as you want to lose.
    Thanks so much for this! I am terrible about stretching, and this seems easy enough!
  • cmajeff
    cmajeff Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I just started the Couch to 5K and we can help encourage eachother! After a previous post and lots of reading... SHOES, SHOES, SHOES, make all the difference. Go to a running store, not some big box shoe store and get correctly fitted for what you want to do.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ok my advice...

Keep going... There will be a point where you THINK you are tired, but your not really, your just not used to pushing hard.

It is those times you push that you'll improve the most.

Of course, please make sure your healthy if your 300 pounds to run/walk for a good distance before pushing too hard... :)

And please also try your best, 5km is not long and you will soon realise this. Do not give up!

Walk as long as can initially until can walk for 30-40m without a problem, then add some running for a minute, then 2m, then 3m all while walking in between for a 1-2m rest.

Finally remember this. If you give up, you will have set the seed for failure, if you truly cannot go anymore, then fine, but don't slack off because of feeling tired etc, pain is temporary, but pride is forever.
  • seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have a blog of my C25K adventures and have just completed week 7 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/seamatt

When I first started I could not complete week 1, and found that lots of walking for a month or so before starting it helped.

The shin splints are very very painful, but some good trainers and these exercises work wonders. http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-foreve-with-one-magical-exercise

Just keep on pushing and telling yourself that it is just a bit more and you'll get there.

Much love.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Even on the days you really really dont want to do it, GO make yourself go run. Afterwards you will be so glad you did. Its such a feeling of accomplishment. Hats off to you!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    If I do not stetch my calf muscles before running I get shin splints.

As others have said, some of it is mental. If your body isn't in pain (ie shin splints) tell yourself to keep going. You will finish. I had a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving and hadn't done 5 miles in over a year. At one point my mind was telling me to stop & walk. I kept telling myself, "You're almost there, don't give up". I finished and I finished in less time than I had estimated for myself. It felt amazing.

Also, shoes. These are very important. I have gotten shin splints because of bad shoes or shoes with too many miles on them.

Good luck to you!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    The most important think I learned was to land on the midfoot and not the heel. Here is a good video that explains the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Fl9t3FVis

Someone else mentioned good shoes. I agree. Consider the minimalist styles too as you look at the options. I started with VFFs and now run on Merrell Trail Gloves. These types of shoes changed running from misery to enjoyable for me.
    I disagree. I don't think transitioning to minimalist-style shoes is good advice for someone over 300 lbs.
    I suggested watching the video and learning a midfoot strike. This is good advice for any runner, regardless of weight. Landing on the heel is bad for all of the joints - from ankle to knee to hip, and also tough on the lower back and shins. I don't think you meant to disagree with this advice.

On the shoes, I'm not sure. My starting weight (when i began to run) was under 200lbs. I think it would be smart to look at minimalist shoes and see how they feel, but also listen to the advice of knowledgable people at a good running store. Conventional shoes overly cushion the heel and enable you to run with poor form, whereas the minimalist shoes more or less force you into a midfoot running strike. There are lots of in between styles which also may be the answer.

Running properly is extremely important especially for beginning heavy weight runners to avoid injury to knees and shins which can sideline a new runner in a hurry!

Great job on the half marathon! I just did an 8k and now begining training for a half in the spring.
    Hey thanks! You're right, I did agree with the midfoot strike, but even with correct stride I don't think it would have been a good idea for me to go minimalist early on. After losing my first 40-50 lbs I randomly got another gait analysis & it turned out my pronation had changed. Now I can get away with a neutral or light stability shoe if I want, & currently run in Brooks PureCadence - incidentally, this is a popular shoe for those transitioning into barefoot running because it has a thinner sole.

So I'm not totally opposed to minimalist, but looking back at my own progression I'm not convinced going that direction would have been a good idea for an inexperienced runner like myself. Now that I've been doing it for a couple of years & learned so much more about how to do it correctly, I think I could pretty easily transition into it now if I wanted to.

Back to the topic at hand (lol), running is very much mental! Whenever you feel like stopping, check in with yourself to evaluate if your body really cannot physically run longer, or if your brain is just telling you to quit. There's a huge difference. You are capable of much more than you realize. Keep at it!
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My advice is to not be ashamed if you need to repeat a day or a week. If you push yourself too hard you may cause injury and no one likes that! I also suggest that you do some form of strength training, I know many runners (including myself) that have injured themselves when they first begin running. These can easily be prevented by cross training!