I think I'm addicted to ice cream

Options
124»

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    For any of your throwing out your ice cream send it to me unless it's that fact Arctic Zero crap!
  • occupysmithmachine
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have a small carton of vanilla Häagen-Dazs in the freezer right now. It's been there a week, and I think about it every day. It's lifespan is limited, I fear. However, I have found that if you make a ton of homemade, it becomes less of something you shouldn't have (maybe it's the reverse psychology of ice-cream) because there is so much available. It's weird that way.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream. I don't bring it in the house though. When I want ice cream, I walk down to the homemade ice cream shop down the street and get one cone, about once a week. That way I get a nice walk and contain the event to one treat.

P.S. Screw that Skinny Cow. Get the best possible ice cream you can have and treat a treat like an indulgence.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I hear you. There are some things I just can't keep in the house, and ice cream is one of them.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Compulsion is not addiction. You are not addicted to ice cream. You eat ice cream compulsively. You can augment your behavior over time, but stop thinking of yourself as a victim of addiction. You aren't one. You're a sentient being in control of your actions.

If you want ice cream, eat ice cream. Make sure it fits in your goals. Buy one serving at a time (think mini haagen dazs cup or an ice cream bar), instead of a pint of half gallon. That way you get to "finish" it but you're also not consuming 2000 calories in one sitting. Take a long walk to your local ice cream parlor and get one scoop.

This may not be cost effective but it will allow you to begin to change your behavior and see what the value in all of this ice cream really is to you.

HA! I'm just observing today. Continue....
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Budget for a reasonable portion size into your daily calories/macros.

There is no reason to cut out foods you love. Just learn to be satisfied with smaller amounts of it.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I hear you. There are some things I just can't keep in the house, and ice cream is one of them.

I don't "keep it in the house" meaning I don't stock Ice Cream tubs in the freezer. If I want it, I will get a pint. Or I will go to Baskin Robbins and get the good stuff, Rocky Road, on a sugar cone.

Ice cream is like a once in a while thing so it doesn't rent any space in my freezer. It's not like the frozen veggies; that's a staple and it's always in my freezer.

But I agree about not keeping things in the house. People suggest all these "Skinny" (grrr) suggestions to keep instead but the problem is the same. Skinny or not, there are still 12 ice cream pops in a box and some people (not me) eat the whole box so it's not even worth keeping. I say spend the money, go to the ice cream shop and get a sundae. Eat it on the walk back and all is good.
  • JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can empathize with you on this one. I found Edy's had a slow churned with 1/2 the fat and is low calorie. Sorry to be an enabler! I have a serving maybe 2x a week, and ALWAYS account for it before hand. Like when I plan my meals for the day in my journal, I'll say, 'I want ice cream tonight, so I'm going to take it easy and add an extra 1/2 mile to my run" to make me feel not so horrible. Sometimes, especially with my husband being on the other side of the world, I need some ice cream.

I like the idea of the single serve or the WW ice cream. then you won't feel too too bad about it.

This!

Edys double churned is 120-150 cals for a 1/2c and its amazing!!! Way better calorie value than Haagen Daz or Ben & Jerry's. i had cookies & cream tonight :D
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Maybe just buy one or two of the mini single serve containers allot for the calories in your diary ahead of time? I can't/won't give up ice cream, so I just make it fit. Agree with the poster who suggested Skinny Cow. Their ice cream sandwiches are freaking yummy!!
  • Sammybaby85
    Sammybaby85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh my Gosh.. I have the same problem. Ice cream is consuming my life. I found your post only because I googled "ice cream addiction help" !!! I also found articles like these: http://authoritynutrition.com/how-food-addiction-works/

Pretty much we are addicts. I think I'm going to google overeaters anonymous next. I need help. I have been trying to tackle this myself and it's not working. It's to the point that I will eat so little throughout the day just so that I can have some ice cream when I get home. This isn't healthy. I cried last night! I wanted the damn ice cream!

Good luck to you! I hope we find answers!
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I have the same problem. Recently I realised that while icecream is an amazing food, it actually wasn't anything to do with the flavour, it was because i equate sitting on the sofa with my favourite show and some icecream as a way to relax, and then I'd finish the tub because I was eating mindlessly. I'm working on stopping equating icecream (and pretty much anything I can scoop out of a jar) with relaxing, but it will be a long process I fear. For the moment I don't buy icecream unless I really crave it, and work it into my week, and portion it out, then put the tub back in the freezer straight away. It helps with stopping me mindlessly eating. Also I found that I needed something sweet after dinner to feel satisfied, so I have subbed with fruit, which I love so don't feel deprived.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    do what works for you, some people eat it every day and fit it into their calorie allowance. Some people don't eat it at all and keep it out of the house. I am not a big ice cream eater, thank goodness, I am more the potato chip type. I buy ice cream maybe once in 6 months and get my fill and then don't want it for a while. I buy small bags of potato chips (my trigger food) maybe you can buy a small ice cream and not the whole gallon type.