Depressed about my starting weight.

Options
I hopped on the scale for the first time in ages and I'm super depressed about the number. I joined the site a few weeks ago and didn't weigh myself because I was afraid what the numbers would say. Turns out I was right to be afraid because I was 20 pounds heavier than I thought I would be, at 240 pounds. I'm super depressed about it. Anybody who can offer encouragement? :-\

Replies

• Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You're just starting a journey that will bring a great sense of accomplishment at many points along the way, not just at the final destination.

The higher the number you start with, the better it will feel to see numbers like "10 pounds lost", "25 pounds lost", and "50 pounds lost"
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just start setting small goals and get started. It is better to start now and not wait for the scale to go even higher. Congrats on getting started.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I used to be almost 400 pounds and could barely walk a mile. I just ran my first full marathon a month ago and have gotten down to my goal weight. It took me years and it wasn't easy, it was worth it.

You can turn this around, it won't be easy and it will take time to lose the weight in a healthy way, but it can be achieved if you put your mind to it.

The hardest part will be the first 30 days imo. Once you get past that and see the results, that should keep you motivated to stay on track. I know for me now if I eat bad, I get really sick and that movitates me now to stay on track.

Good luck, you can do it.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We all have a starting point...dont worry because now, you will never see that # again, you can watch go down in flames!!!! Congratulations on starting and staying!!!! just remember that number and let it remind you of where you DONT want to be!!! good luck and hope to see less of you each week!!! lol
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Everyone Im sure feels like that at the start of their journey.
    I know I did.
    But things get better. You're just starting out. And Welcome to MFP. We're all a bit crazy here.
    Seriously though its a great place for support when you need it
    Feel free to add me and we can do this together :smile: :smile: :flowerforyou: xxx
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I thought I was around 210, then the scale said I was 226. Ugh! This may not help, but now I can compare my starting place with how far I've come and be proud of that. If I can figure it out I'll send you pics.

Over this last year I hit plateaus, lost motivation, etc. But what is really helping me now is I'm focusing on being healthy and eating clean, and doing an exercise program that I actually like. (Ugh, hours of cardio make me want to cry)

We'll both get there :-)
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I used to be almost 400 pounds and could barely walk a mile. I just ran my first full marathon a month ago and have gotten down to my goal weight. It took me years and it wasn't easy, it was worth it.
    Amazing!
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OH Hon I feel your pain! Less than a year ago I started this journey and I too was so afraid to step on that scale... I did it though and with great embarrasment, posted that total that stared back at me on the scale.. It does get better! Honest! MFP is amazing and so are the people that you meet along the way. It's all about hard work and honest posting... Know that you may have a bad day, but stay strong and pick yourself up and do better tomorrow... I began this journey at 330 pounds, I've lost 104 pounds so far with about 65 or 70 more to go! You can do this! Please feel free to add me if you'd like.. I will be around forever, as this is a lifestyle change! Best of luck to you and don't be depressed about that starting weight!
    Patty
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I also started a few weeks ago at 242. Add me as a friend if you'd like! :)
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I started at 251 and got to 174 in 5 months. You can do it! It is HARD HARD WORK. Log every single bite you put in your mouth into MFP. Whether it's good or bad. It really shows you where you are eating too much and helps you stay on track. Walk walk walk. Then when you can, run run run. Also highly recommend circuit training, something like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to start out. To go from walking to running C25K program really worked for me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Every journey begins with a single step. You're on the right track now to make some great changes to your life. The sad fact is that weight loss is a long, boring, frustrating, time-consuming process, whatever your starting weight. It must seem like a huge mountain you have to climb right now, but you really can climb it.

Maybe try to break it down into smaller chunks and have mini-goals to aim for. That helps a lot of people. One thing I've found useful is to track my weight in a spreadsheet and plot it on a graph. (You can also use the graph on MFP, but I prefer my spreadsheet!) Also, have a look in the "success stories" section, if you haven't already, for some motivation. There are so many people on this site that have been exactly where you are now, but have achieved their weight loss goals.

You can definitely do this, and one of the biggest things that will help you in the long run is patience. At least at the moment, you will see changes on the scales relatively quickly, and that should keep you motivated. Later on, when you get close to your goal, you may find it takes weeks to lose a pound. So, however close to your goal you are, you still need to be patient and keep focused!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

You can turn this around, it won't be easy and it will take time to lose the weight in a healthy way, but it can be achieved if you put your mind to it.

The hardest part will be the first 30 days imo. Once you get past that and see the results, that should keep you motivated to stay on track. I know for me now if I eat bad, I get really sick and that movitates me now to stay on track.

Good luck, you can do it.

This, just replace 400 with 500 and take out the full marathon part. XD I've only done 5K's.
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    It is a big step to just get started - no matter what the starting number. Congratulations on starting. And it is just a number (that will go down).

I also encourage you to take your measurements - not so much to see where you are now, but to track progress at times when the scale doesn't want to move.
  • cwoodruff24
    Options
    When we get to the point where we no longer get on the scale because we refuse to admit what we have let happen to ourselves is the time you need to strike with change! I was in the same rut, I finally had to get on the scale when I got pregnant, at a shocking 315. I ended up having a failed miscarriage 8 weeks later . I was such a hormonal wreck! The day after the procedure my dad came down and sat me down and had a long conversation with me, which, I will admit, felt more like an assault (very ill timed it least). He asked me what had happened to me and why I let myself go so far! I was so angry with him, because although I weighed so much, I didn't see the weight on myself. I still looked normal to me, my mental game was gone. After that, I was so pissed and determined to prove everyone wrong about me I started my weight loss journey. Five months later I am down 42 pounds! Sometimes, the shock of the realization of just how big you have gotten is the motivation you need to stop. My biggest motivation is that shocking moment on the scale when I was forced to realize what had happened to me!

You can do it!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Turn that depression around to motivation. Make it work for you, not against you. It's a mental thing - every time you find yourself thinking about how bad it is force your thoughts to how awesome it will feel to lose this weight and feel slim and strong. don't let it give you an excuse to eat.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    gotta start somewhere.

I never used to tell anyone what I weighed when I was heavier. now I'm happy to tell people where I started vs where I am now -- NOT because I'm proud of starting at 303.4 -- but I'm proud of how far I've come and all the hard work I've done to get to the 187 that I am now! You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. I ran my first half marathon (I was never a runner - never athletic or anything) on 11/10 and I'm running my next on on 12/9.

and I feel like if I can do it - anyone can!! :)
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I started at 235. I was depressed about that weight, but once I hit 5 pounds lost, I got this feeling of accomplishment and it felt great, it was the motivation to turn that 5 pounds to 46 and going.
  • brandiemhgc
    Options
    Way to go! That is my goal~:flowerforyou:
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was 244.5lbs when I started losing weight - that was mid July and I'm now 47lbs lighter.

It's scary yes, but oddly liberating too: making the decision is the first step. Soon you will be bagging up clothes that are too big and digging into the wardrobe for old favourites. Going shopping for new clothes and actually finding some that fit... and more to the point, look nice on. These are things that will come and probably more quickly than you expect.
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I totally relate i went on the scale this morning my all time high of 250 depressed ya pissed off ya considering in january i was 185 i quit smoking and ate n ate n ate injured my foot so i couldnt work out it was just one thing after another but i start again hopefully for the last time
    ADD ME FOR FRIENDS