Do you both to count minimal calories?

Options
Edit: That title was supposed to read 'bother' :wink:

For example, I had a turkey sandwich today and the iceberg lettuce, tomato and yellow mustard that were on it pretty much have no calories for the small quantity of them I consumed (You would obviously log any turkey, cheese, bread, mayo, ect). Do you even both to log these tiny items?

Replies

• cwoodruff24
    Options
    I never bother to log things like mustard which has no calories in it anyway! If I have thinks with minimal calories like lettuce, I just keep in mind to leave an extra 15 calories or so and not consume those at the end of the day!
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I do because it could have other things in than just calories. example diet soda doesn't have any calories but does have a lot of sodium in it even mustard while it does not have calories in one serving it does have an average of 55 mg of sodium in it and 5mg of potassium in it.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Every single BLT(BITE LICK AND TASTE).
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options

exactly!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't log things like a clove of garlic, chopped fresh ginger, tbsp of soy sauce (I dont track sodium). So things with small caloric values, no, unless I estimate they hit 25 calories or more in the course of a day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

exactly!

I don't log most things that have 20 or fewer calories. But then, I also don't log when I eat samples at Costco. BAD! :laugh:

It never seemed to set me back at all, but you should figure out what works best for you through trial and error.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Definitely did when I was trying to lose. In maintenance, some days I'm not as religious as others. Agree with the others, tho, about things besides calories--sometimes knowing how much sodium you are eating is at least as important as how many calories. I also am less definite about my measurements now, but still measure.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Only if I have a differnt reason (iron) to log it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm maintaining and not trying to lose. I'm really just trying to get close and not obsess at this point. If I was trying to lose and hitting a wall, I would start focusing a little harder.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    eh. i made myself a pb&j today. i licked the knife. i didn't exactly track that. no need to split hairs, in my opinion.
  • babsc01
    babsc01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like to put hot sauce on most of my food, which has minimal calories but LOTS of sodium. I do track it to try to keep tabs on my sodium, which always seems to be off the charts anyway.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Almost everything - I can hit 100-300 or more calories on lots of little things each day. A slice of lettuce? No.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
  • NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I log everything unless it doesn't have calories like mustard. BUT, if I end up having say more then one serving of it then I'll log it anyway.

I need to keep a high fiber diet and want to keep up with protein so sometimes I like to log for more then just calories.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I don't log those things. I am usually pretty far under my calories everyday so I don't worry about the small stuff. If I have a salad then I do log the lettuce and everything else because it is a large quantity.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

exactly!

I don't log most things that have 20 or fewer calories. But then, I also don't log when I eat samples at Costco. BAD! :laugh:

It never seemed to set me back at all, but you should figure out what works best for you through trial and error.
    I'm of the mind set that 5 calories here, 10 calories there can definitely add up during the day. I do my best to log everything.

I do absolutely agree with your second comment. This does take some trial and error so try different ways of logging and given each attempt a couple weeks. You'll be able to zero in on what works for you and what you're comfortable doing.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options

exactly!

YES— Every single BLT (Bite Lick and Taste). Best way to get to know yourself, your habits, and especially the foods that work and that do not work for your nutrtion and health goals.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There's no point in logging the tiny stuff - let's be serious. Just how accurate to you think the calorie counts are on the food you eat anyway? I mean, the bag says a slice of bread is 110 calories. Funny how nice and round that number is, isn't it? And every slice is EXACTLY the thickness they thought it should be? C'mon. These are estimates, probably accurate to within 5% at best. So a slice of lettuce is just noise in the data.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I log everything (for me its easier because I rarely add any condiments) including my daily vitamins
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I'm working on that week/month. I generally don't have a hard time staying within my calories but there are times when I'm more worried about sodium or fiber or cholesterol. I weight daily so if I notice a sudden jump in the scale I like to know why. If I went over on sodium and under on fiber for a couple days, I know why and I can correct it.