ok seriously how the do i get to 100% iron intake?

13»

Replies

• divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    I am anemi and was told to eat lots of mussels and clams. :)
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I'm a vegetarian and I get 100% almost every day. I eat oatmeal, tofu, beans, nuts, dried fruits, spinach, squash, root vegetables, mushrooms, and, yes, chocolate. I also use blackstrap molasses in my baked oatmeal, which adds a little. It's just a matter of being really diligent about eating a lot of vitamin-rich, whole foods. Also, I use protein powder from time to time, and I purposely buy one that doesn't contain iron, because too much iron is actually bad for you, as well, so don't supplement unless you've actually consulted a doctor.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    strawberries. Spinach. broccoli. meat. And, I know this tends to gross a lot of americans out instantly, but I'll say it anyways: blood.

In Eastern Europe (and the former Soviet bloc) there's a fairly common "candy" bar called "hematogen" or "haematogen", main ingredient is an extract of cow's blood. At least, historically it's been cow's blood, I think I read somewhere that nowadays you can also get variations with no actual blood involved. Anyways, they're high on energy and iron. Often sold in apothecaries (no perscription) and often used as a substitute for chocolate when hiking (the good old "have a chocolate bar with you" line). It has the taste and consistency of toffee. Having tasted both, hematogen is tastier than a good protein bar. MUCH tastier than a bad protein bar.

In the German culinary influence (=North-Eastern Europe) there are lots of variations on blood sausages; and of course there's the British Black Pudding, which are usually pork-blood-based.

this doesn't apply to just grossing the Americans out. Eww.

but she's right
    also medium rare steak or liver are good sources

I didn't doubt that she was right, it's completely logical ... I just personally could not do it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I would definitely work on getting your iron up as it can cause you to be anemic if you are lacking in it. I take a supplement for it because I'd rather have to much (females almost never consistently have to much because of our monthly bleeding) then to little.

It actually could be worse to have too much than too little when it comes to iron. You can become very ill from too much iron.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I take a daily minerals supplement. I'm usually low on iron, calcium, magnesium and potassium and the supplement helps me get closer to my daily goals.
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    bump
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Like others have said, the iron levels are often wrong on user-submitted food items.

If you're worried about it, have your Dr. test it the next time you're in - too much iron is a very bad thing, as is too little. Knowing where your level is can help you judge if you need to get more or not.

Also be very careful with supplements- I've had low iron levels in the past, and the supplement the Dr. had me taking was like 300% of your daily value, which is WAY TOO MUCH if you don't need it! So if you choose to supplement, read the labels carefully!! (and this supplement is one of the more common ones on the CVS shelf...)
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    I would definitely work on getting your iron up as it can cause you to be anemic if you are lacking in it. I take a supplement for it because I'd rather have to much (females almost never consistently have to much because of our monthly bleeding) then to little.

Actually that's a misconception. At least, that's what I recall from my HS biology lessons. Because the female's body periodically discards a good number of blood cells, the body then needs to make new cells. and because the female body needs to make new cells more often than the male (in any case, the complete blood cell supply gets fully renewed about once every 3 months), then the overall health of the blood cells actually circulating is better in women than men. The same effect is noted in blood donors of both genders. Note though: I may have forgotten bits or over-simplified things seeing as it's been many years since I studied this.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member

Actually that's a misconception. At least, that's what I recall from my HS biology lessons. Because the female's body periodically discards a good number of blood cells, the body then needs to make new cells. and because the female body needs to make new cells more often than the male (in any case, the complete blood cell supply gets fully renewed about once every 3 months), then the overall health of the blood cells actually circulating is better in women than men. The same effect is noted in blood donors of both genders. Note though: I may have forgotten bits or over-simplified things seeing as it's been many years since I studied this.

The first Quote is right. The second is just a little misinformed. Red blood cells last for about 120 days in the human body. At which point the body will recycle the iron in those cells, and use the iron to make new Red blood cells. The Red blood cells that are lost through bleeding, of any kind, can not be recycled, iron is lost and needs to be replaced .
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member

The first Quote is right. The second is just a little misinformed. Red blood cells last for about 120 days in the human body. At which point the body will recycle the iron in those cells, and use the iron to make new Red blood cells. The Red blood cells that are lost through bleeding, of any kind, can not be recycled, iron is lost and needs to be replaced .

Ah. I knew there was *something* that didn't quite sound right. But I couldn't figure out what, lol
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Ohh wow, I have to look into this! I completely have neglected to check my iron levels regularly, with the thing that I take Daily Multavitamins, I take for granted that I am (more or less) covered. This is a really good thread to check.

I am not sure if it was mentioned but Blackstrap molasses are such an amazing source of Iron and calcium. There was a time I used to put them in everything coffee, tea, bread (when I baked it), hot water in the morning. They are really healthy.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Multivitamin or iron supplement. I'm anemic and have yet to ever meet my iron 'goal' by food alone.....
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I stay away from iron fortified foods and supplements/vitamins with iron as I get plenty with a normal diet. It gives me Iron overload aka makes my hematocrit value high which does a slew of nasty stuff to your body. I felt some of these to a degree(low energy, achy joints, etc). To lower it I just did it the easy way and donated whole blood a few times(they give you a free test there and tell you your value). :smile: Now I moderate my intake! If I eat normal daily foods with no added extra iron every thing is fine.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Pumpkin seeds, cocoa powder and certain organ meats are good sources of iron - you have to eat around 750g beef or dark turkey meat to hit the daily target although haem iron is better utilised than plant iron.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000119000000000000000-w.html