Who lifts weights here and does no cardio

124»

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Lift 5 days a week, do cardio once a week which is just enough to keep me in decent cardio shape (which is the only reason I bother with it)
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Not me. I both lift and do cardio.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    I mix strength and resistence training, with HIIT/circuit training and running throughout the week. One day breaks between strength training :)

I do the cardio to burn calories.. I despise cardio!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    It's taken me a while, mostly because I had to work to get my macros right (I currently eat 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs), but the last 6 months have been good for 30 of those lbs (that's when I got things right for me). In my daily life, I work in IT so it doesn't get much more sedentary than that; other than my workouts, its not like I'm getting much other activity. I work in a downtown area, in a really cold climate, so walking around the neighbourghood at lunchtime is a non-starter.

I'm fortunate that I have a good local trainer to work with, who does functional metabolic resistance training - it's a workout philosophy that was pioneered by Alwyn Cosgrove. Much of what we do follows along what you can find in the New Rules for Lifting series - maybe there are copies in your local libray you can check out. I started out doing mainly body weight, because I was a wreck when I began. The day after my first workout I could barely move...but I went back...and now I'm swinging around 50 lb kettlebells amoungst other things.

I can understand how back and hip problems can be a big issue in this kind of a program. Have you seen a doctor or a physiotherapist about them?

I was actually following 'New Rules' for 3-4 months, and I've started it over though I'm going very slowly and not really lifting "heavy" as to avoid injury. It's usually the deadlifts, sometimes lunges and squats that do me in, and those are the building blocks of the program so I can't really NOT do them. I have only seen my chiropractor, can't afford physio at the moment. I probably need to work with a trainer who can work with my joint issues, but again I can barely afford my gym membership right now, so cardio and careful, light lifting it is for now.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    OP - to answer your question, I lift and only do about 12 minutes after lifting as cardio,

Doing cardio after lifting is that to free up your muscles after the workout?

It can be used for an 'active recovery' also because glycogen supplies should be depleted by then. Plus it is best to do after as you do not want to be tired for lifting (although my massive 12 minutes should not exactly tire someone out).

Thank you, might give that a go too.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    It's taken me a while, mostly because I had to work to get my macros right (I currently eat 40% protein, 40% fat, 20% carbs), but the last 6 months have been good for 30 of those lbs (that's when I got things right for me). In my daily life, I work in IT so it doesn't get much more sedentary than that; other than my workouts, its not like I'm getting much other activity. I work in a downtown area, in a really cold climate, so walking around the neighbourghood at lunchtime is a non-starter.

I'm fortunate that I have a good local trainer to work with, who does functional metabolic resistance training - it's a workout philosophy that was pioneered by Alwyn Cosgrove. Much of what we do follows along what you can find in the New Rules for Lifting series - maybe there are copies in your local libray you can check out. I started out doing mainly body weight, because I was a wreck when I began. The day after my first workout I could barely move...but I went back...and now I'm swinging around 50 lb kettlebells amoungst other things.

I can understand how back and hip problems can be a big issue in this kind of a program. Have you seen a doctor or a physiotherapist about them?

I was actually following 'New Rules' for 3-4 months, and I've started it over though I'm going very slowly and not really lifting "heavy" as to avoid injury. It's usually the deadlifts, sometimes lunges and squats that do me in, and those are the building blocks of the program so I can't really NOT do them. I have only seen my chiropractor, can't afford physio at the moment. I probably need to work with a trainer who can work with my joint issues, but again I can barely afford my gym membership right now, so cardio and careful, light lifting it is for now.

I did New Rules and injured myself in the early stages doing pushups off a box. Bad move! Stuffed my shoulder and Ive had two infammatory injections since. Fully regretted it so went back to the old style of lifting using dumbells and barbells. The other stuff was just way too fancy pancy for me lol
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    I lift 3 days a week (usually, lately something has been cropping up and it has been 2

I do a cardio warm up for about 15 minutes.

If someone is willing to walk with me, I add that. It's not planned. I used to have a regular walking partner but she moved a few months ago. I see this as an enjoyable chatty time activity rather than one of my planned activities but I do enjoy it enough that I am looking for a good walking partner.

If I have an opportunity to do water sports or hiking, I do that but it isn't planned exercise either. Right now that has slowed down. It's harder to find people to do that with and the time of the year plays a role. But when I have an active outing, I enjoy it.

I used to do Zumba and Yoga but they aren't part of my routine anymore. If there is a special session or a friend invites me, I'm inclined to go but it doesn't happen very often.