do i have to eat fruit & veggies?

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Depends do you want to be skinny or healthy? Healthy people eat fruits and vegetables.

This.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fruit. But I eat a lot of veg. If you make them taste good, you can eat a LOT for few calories and they fill you up. My latest all time favorite is brussel sprouts sauteed in a little olive oil. One slice of bacon chopped to give it some smoky salty flavor (only 35 calories). Then right at the end of cooking a splash of red pepper sauce for a dash of heat. It is SO DELICIOUS! Almost a dessert!

YUMMMMMMMMMMM! *drools*
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need vitamins and minerals to stay healthy and you can't get them from meat, carbs, and vitamin capsules.

Find some veggies you like. Learn some simple ways to prepare them that aren't that painful to you. Start with easy things like frozen veggies in the microwave.

You may surprise yourself.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Well, technically, no, but you probably want to take some vitamins if you're not going to eat any fruits or veggies.

Also, if you eat fruits and veggies, you get to eat more for the same calorie amount. That's a bonus in my book.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    would you like to be skinny with micronutrient deficiencies?
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    No. they are both natural. If you don't eat them, you will lack nutrients and look gross. probably more grey than anything else. look up alkaline foods - eat 75% of those and 25% 'other'... that will help you.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    You'll still lose weight without them but you'll find fruits/veg have less calories than most other foods.. so you'll ideally be getting more food for less calories and they also have essential vitamins and minerals your body needs.

There's gotta be some kind of fruit/veg you like! Just try incorporating some fruit and veggies into what you'd usually eat (they're really not that bad!) and I promise you you'll feel more energetic and alive!

^^THIS. Try them cooked, raw, pickled, whatever. I target five servings a day, which crowds out the carbs that I would otherwise binge upon.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With the right marinade, sauce and/or spices, anything can taste good.

I mean... people eat frickin' SNAILS. On purpose! :laugh:

Surely you can stomach some fruits and vegetables.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No, but keep trying! I had a friend who HATED all things fruits and veggies (the closest she'd get to eating a "vegetable" was a baked potato or MAYBE some canned green beans). But over the years, she just kept ordering salad anyway and now she loves it! It's weird how you can acquire a taste for things. But it can happen, and your life will be much easier if you do enjoy them.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I put my fruit and veggies in a smoothie everyday, just in case I don't get to cook any vegtables. I usually blend spinach, frozen blueberries, yogurt, water, protein powder and flaxseed oil.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    There is one reason we are all here...

Our old eating habits were unhealthy, and created an outward representation of that in our bodies.

So, yeah, you know the answer to your own question. In order to be happy and achieve the results you want, you are going to have to change the type and amounts of things you it. A long term restricted diet of junk food is simply not sustainable.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you don't technically for weight loss, but you'll really be missing out. And I'd be worried about your fiber intake and risk for things like bowel cancer.

You could try 'hiding' them in things to start out. Roasted veggies and grated carrots in spagetti sauce. Things like that. Keep trying little bits of things - it's amazing how your taste buds can change over time. Also, you can teach your taste buds to like things, you've just got to stick with it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you can lose weight without them. But you are probably missing some essential nutrients not eating them at all.

I have a hard time believing there is no fruit or vegetable that you enjoy, though.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Depends do you want to be skinny or healthy? Healthy people eat fruits and vegetables.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

:smile: so true...
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat fruit and vegetables but you don't want to end up being skinny-fat
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    They're good for you, but you don't HAVE to eat them. I don't eat a lot.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Fruit and veg give you micro and macro nutrients that your body NEEDS!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I guess it depends on whether your goal is to just get thin or to get thin and live a long time to enjoy how great you look. Anyone can easily learn to prepare tasty vegetables. And fruit is easy. Mostly no prep at all. Your body will thank you.

^ This.

^^ This.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    To lose weight? No you don't.

However to get micronutrients, perhaps you should. There are sooo many fruits and veggies out there, just find which one of those you like and enjoy them! You don't have to eat the ones you despise.