is 140 too low for a tall guy

Options
I'm 6'2" and set my goal weight at 140. I have a thin build and all my extra weight seems like it went all to my stomach. I'm 170 now and after looking at others goal mine seems really low. I was at 140 before I got lazy and put on weight. Does this seem reasonable?

Replies

• lisag2007
    Options
    That sounds way too skinny to me. I knew a guy that was 6'4" and he got down to 210 and that looked incredibly skinny to me. I think it sounds like you are already where you need to be. Just my opinion.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Seems a little low to me, especially if you want to be fit and strong... Most people wanna lose fat and build muscle.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I havent been 140 since i was about 10 years old.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that you won't even have to dress up for Halloween at that low weight. haha. I joke. Anyway... how old are you? Maybe you weighed 140 before you finished growing (which can be well into your 20's for men). I'd say that since you are in a healthy weight range, don't focus on the number on the scale. Just focus on good eating and exercise habits. Challenge your fitness. Change your body composition. Build lean muscle mass. Have fun! :D
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My opinion is just one of several, but I think that if you're 170 now and feel you could drop a few lbs.. do so. Then assess again.
    Your bmi's lowest "normal" range should be about 159, but it doesn't take into account anything at all about you or your lifestyle.

Honestly, I wouldn't go below 160.. but I'm not you, and only you can tell if it's reasonable or not.
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'5" and is thin at 215 - 220....if he were 140 - 170lbs he would look emaciated.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You should probably eat at maintenance and start lifting weights. That will change you the most!!!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Let me put it this way. I'm a 5'4" woman and my goal is 135-140lbs. No 6'2" man should weigh the same as I do at my healthy weight. That's waaaay too small. Judging from your profile pic, I think you look fine just the way you are now. Maybe now you should start working on muscle mass and bodyfat %.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It depends what you want. Do you want to be a stick or do you want muscle mass. You could always concentrate on body recomposition by cutting fat. Once you get near a low enough body fat, if you don't like your body, than you could bulk up and add muscle mass. But yes, I think 140 is way too small for a tall guy. Based on your height, 180 would be better.
  • bgrossman22
    Options
    I'm 22 and I was 140 a couple of years ago. That could be the case buy my arms and legs seem like they are still the same.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes but at the end of the day it's your body, if you want to get to that weight then do it. Let's face it if when you get there you look ill etc then you can put the weight on, we all know it's easier to gain than to lose. I'm 5"8, 24yrs old and currently 165lbs, I want to get to 150 but am being told to stop as I'm going too low.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"10 and my goal was 161 lb, and looking at some of the progress pictures of tall women makes me think I've aimed too low. No 6"2 man should weigh 140 lb. You will look like a pepperami.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You should be 180 to 200 and lift weights. I am a 5'6" woman and my goal weight is the low 140's.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and set my goal weight at 140. I have a thin build and all my extra weight seems like it went all to my stomach. I'm 170 now and after looking at others goal mine seems really low. I was at 140 before I got lazy and put on weight. Does this seem reasonable?
    My BF is 5'11" and around 150 with a small frame and I can't imagine him any smaller than that. He'd be skeletal.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'0 and 140ish. He is naturally very slim and tends toward having lean muscle, rather than bulk. That said, he is currently interested in building some muscle and putting on something like 5 lb. I won't tell you what weight you should be, but my general inclination is to agree that 140 might be a low target.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    140lbs. at 6' 2" is too thin.

Do some resistance training or lift weights. Get plenty of protein. The belly fat will slowly shrink, you will begin to look fit. Be patient.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    get your body fat percentage tested

it will also tell you your lean body mass

at 6'2 140, you should either be ripped small muscle or just too skinny
  • lrose50
    lrose50 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think 140 is too low - workout to increase muscle and get rid of you belly
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options
    I feel skinny at 6'3 266lb.

This thread confuses me greatly.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm about your height, I doubt you will be happy with the way you look at 140. Let me find this one thread that is the best highlight of what weight training can do.