Fitness with weights, at home?

Options
2»

Replies

• jcruz2us
    Options
    hey congrats on losing all the weight. Have you tried doing some workout videos at home?

I've been using sweatn.com and it's been pretty great. I've been doing some of their cardio stuff but I've seen tons of workouts using weights and bands
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Thanks to most of you for your helpful suggestions.

To those of you that suggested buying a bodybuilding gym or benches and barbells, again I say . . . . I'm having to do this in my livingroom . . . there is no room to put this stuff.

I will look up some programs using my bodyweight and/or the weights I have and look for videos. I currently am using a Golds Gym cardio boxing, and a EA sports workout that incorporates a few band exercises.

What I WAS hoping for were a few suggestions like try bicep curls, upright rows, squats, etc. etc. for a basic workout to start out with.
  • pigote
    pigote Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Look into adjustable dumbbells. One set that goes from 5lbs-90lbs will take up less space than the few pairs of dumbbells you currently own. And you can scale up accordingly. 10 lb dumbbells don't really count as weight training.

Adjustable . . . what a great concept. I'll check in to that idea, thanks!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You are probably better off looking into bodyweight exercises, those DB's are good for assistance exercises and little else.

Unlike weights where you add more weight to progress, with bodyweight exercises you move to a more difficult exercise variant in each family to progress.

The only equipment you need for bodyweight workouts is a pullup bar. Doorway pullup bars will set you back about $20.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Thanks to most of you for your helpful suggestions.

To those of you that suggested buying a bodybuilding gym or benches and barbells, again I say . . . . I'm having to do this in my livingroom . . . there is no room to put this stuff.

I will look up some programs using my bodyweight and/or the weights I have and look for videos. I currently am using a Golds Gym cardio boxing, and a EA sports workout that incorporates a few band exercises.

What I WAS hoping for were a few suggestions like try bicep curls, upright rows, squats, etc. etc. for a basic workout to start out with.

squats
    lunges
    deadlifts
    pushups
    pullups
    bench press
    overhead press
    planks
    jumping jacks
    mountain climbers
    I love doing bicep curls and tricep extensions.....but you don't get a lot of bang for your buck with them. Compound moves as listed above will get you the best results.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a Bob Harper biggest loser tape with a good weightlifting for someone starting out. It has squats & lunges in it too that will work you out. He gives you tips to help you starting out to modify if you need to. I think its a good one for beginners.
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "You are your own gym"

Lots and lots of exercises where you are working against your own bodyweight and they can be done in different ways from easy to insane /impossible. You don't need any equipment, although a pull up bar may make some of the stuff a bit easier.

There are also android/iPhone apps which have 10 week programmes (easy to insane) with all the instructions for the exercises and it times it all for you. Dead easy, no equipment, totally adjustable to your level.