Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weights Class

Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I've been lifting light weights (5-10 pounds) for a while now and have gained quite a bit of muscle mass. I'm signed up to take a women's weight lifting class at my local gym next year. Should I expect a lot more weight gain? Should I be worried about bulking up too much?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Depends on what bulking up "too much" means to you.

Most of us will say 5-10lb weights won't lead to much muscle mass, never mind being bulky... but it really depends on the look you want.
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    I want to look toned. I have already gained about 10 pounds since I started working out; all muscle. My thighs have gone from 20 inches to 22 (basically I went from skinny fat to fit). I'm currently 5'9" and 135 pounds. I don't want to put on more than 5 pounds and definitely no more inches. That is my definition for "bulk up". What do you think?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    How long have you been lifting?
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    I've been lifting light weights (5-10 pounds) for a while now and have gained quite a bit of muscle mass.

I doubt that.
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    I've been working out for about two years, doing mostly intense cardio intervals and HIIT training. As a part of that, I've been using hand weights for basic lifting. I just worked my way up to 10 pound weights. I started with 3 pounders two years ago. Have never done any "REAL" intense lifting.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Should I expect a lot more weight gain? Should I be worried about bulking up too much?

1. Depends on how much you eat.
    2. No.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I've been lifting light weights (5-10 pounds) for a while now and have gained quite a bit of muscle mass.

false
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Should I expect a lot more weight gain? Should I be worried about bulking up too much?

1. Depends on how much you eat.
    2. No.

ditto.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    yeah it really depends on how you eat. you might have made some newbie gains (probably not 10 lbs of pure muscle though, honestly). How long have you been lifting? How much have you been eating?

and...don't worry about adding another 5-10 lbs of muscle and fat. Unless you're built VERY slim you are actually very light for your height. You will probably still be healthy and attractive at 145 or 155.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    HAHAHAHA

how much does your purse weigh?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    When you first start lifting, your muscles may swell up from the new stress being put on them (water retention and that sort of thing). This is not muscle gain.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    2/10
  • MrsScheidt
    MrsScheidt Posts: 207 Member
    I take a class at the gym called Body Pump. Its mostly women and I've never gained too much muscle mass to be considered "muscular"... it just helps lean you out. And I've never gained weight... only lost.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I want to look toned. I have already gained about 10 pounds since I started working out; all muscle. My thighs have gone from 20 inches to 22 (basically I went from skinny fat to fit). I'm currently 5'9" and 135 pounds. I don't want to put on more than 5 pounds and definitely no more inches. That is my definition for "bulk up". What do you think?

I think it's ridiculously difficult for women to "bulk up" unless you're lifting heavy weights and eating a calorie surplus. Here's a good read on the subject: http://www.louschuler.com/blog/im-still-waiting-to-get-too-big/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I've been lifting light weights (5-10 pounds) for a while now and have gained quite a bit of muscle mass.

No you have not...sorry.
    Should I be worried about bulking up too much?

No you do not.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    You can see people are skeptical of a muscle gain using only 5-10 lb weights. That's not really lifting heavy. Have you had your body fat % taken - that will be a much better gage of your fitness and muscle than the scale.
  • HAHAHAHA

how much does your purse weigh?
    Ha! You can't beat the classics.

The actual quote, though, was "How much does your purse weight?" Good times.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    When you first start lifting, your muscles may swell up from the new stress being put on them (water retention and that sort of thing). This is not muscle gain.

This!

You will not have gained 10lbs of "all muscle" since you started, I can guarantee it. When a person does gain muscle, they do gain fat as well for a start. Secondly, to put on any mass you have to be eating more than you burn in a day. If you have been doing that (which you likely have to have gained 10lbs) then it is possible you may have gained a little muscle. A little, not anywhere near 10lbs, especially with light weights.

What it likely is, is eating more than you burn, gaining a little fat, a little water weight (from the stress of starting to lift) and possibly a very small amount of muscle. Combined to give a gain in inches.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    1 - No, you haven't gained 10 pounds of lean mass using 5 - 10 pound weights.

2 - No, doing a cardio weight lifting class will not make you gain more inches of lean mass.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    The kind of weightlifting you do in a class environmnent isn't the kind thar promotes muscle growth. It's more of a circuit training type workout which is primarily done for fat loss/endurance. The kind of weightlifting you want, if you're looking to add lean muscle to your body, is the kind you need to go over to the "dungeon" section of the gym for (where all the free weights are and the dudes who hog all the plates in the squat rack and bench press).

That being said, as a woman, you can not really "bulk up" without specialized training regimens designed specifically for bulking, accompanied by high calorie diets, more supplements than you can likely afford, and most likely steroids as well.

The weight gain you've seen is either fat gain caused by eating more than you think you have been, or water retention caused by the fact that muscles in a state of repair retain fluids to aid with repair.