being unemployed...goin a lil stir crazy.

Options
gotogirl81
gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
anyone else not working right now? What were you doing prior to getting laid off or leaving a job? What are you doing for income right now? ( besides actually unemployment.. not happening)

I was a hair salon assistant. I moved for a job in Philadelphia, that I thought would be a good starting point, but in the end I wasn't doing good financially, and was staying with family for 3 months, and they basically told me their basement wasn't my apartment after a certain point, and to start looking for a real place. The thing is I wasn't making it money wise to afford an apartment, and so I had to move back to my hometown with my parents, and at 31 years old.. im a little embarrassed.
I've been trying to work anywhere, but application processes/ resumes/ everything takes weeks to get back to me.. and then its not even guaranteed.
I'm extremely lucky my parents let me move back home.. this is the 2nd time I moved back since I moved out for the first time when I was 23. I love them dearly, but I feel guilty.. and my parents are paying for my iphone/ car payment/insurance at this point. It's only been a month.. and they are laying it on thick that I NEED to get a job asap. Especially with the holidays coming up.. and what not.
I have been helping around the house, and doing things for my mom and dad since I moved home, but sometimes it just doesn't seem like I'm doing enough.
I know many of you probably work full time/ or have incomes from your so/family.. but being a single woman, i cannot rely on my parents to pay my bills. I guess I'm just looking for some ideas of places to apply at that you wouldn't have a long process to worry about for getting hired?? Or any advice on dealing with my parents would be good too! Thanks...

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Get something retail for the holidays. Not sure if they're still hiring but that's a choice.

And your parents are absolutely right. Just make sure that they're aware that you're trying and show them you are trying and be patient with them.
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    I went to a few retail stores on saturday.. basically were like.. oh you need to work now AFTER black friday. HA!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I went to a few retail stores on saturday.. basically were like.. oh you need to work now AFTER black friday. HA!

lol figures. Food service, retail... those are usually the places to get hired the fastest while you're looking for something else.

Good luck!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Cut back on expenses! Do you really need a car & nobody NEEDs a mobile phone!!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Last year when I was laid off I used the extra time to work on ME. Figured out a food and fitness program that works for me.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Looking for a job SUCKS, and I'm about to graduate college with no solid plans for a job, so I can't offer much advice. :( But I will say that in the meantime, little things like selling clothes to Plato's Closet (or other secondhand clothing shops that buy clothes), selling/trading things on CraigsList, using coupons, and making handmade Christmas presents have all helped me out when money is extra extra tight. I wish you luck and I'm sending you good vibes! Don't let it get you TOO down. You're still young, and if you keep trying, you're bound to get a decent job soon. Best wishes!!
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    Last year when I was laid off I used the extra time to work on ME. Figured out a food and fitness program that works for me.

i am doing that same thing. that is the ONE good thing about having a elliptical machine/ threadmill in my parents house. I also have the 30 day shred dvd.. and walking trails galore.
  • fitasaferret
    Options
    Hi I'm retired but still active I volunteer 3 days a week, any voluntary work you do keeps you sane and active, and looks good on a CV , employers look for motivated people. Most towns have a volunteer bureau , keep busy
  • gotogirl81
    Options

i could always take a horse to a future job?

and i don't NEED my phone.. but I'm on a family plan with my sisters and not sure how that would work?
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    been very restless lately and i think you have hit the nail on the head there! i am sooooo damn bored!! i am on the verge of leaving my job, i have been off sick and i just hate it soooo much i really cant face going back. i work for the ambulance service, its stressful, its thankless, its *****y, it just SUX, but without it, i am going a little sir crazy. i have to find a new challenge!!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

They'd probably prefer paying for it to driving her around town :P

Make the job search your job. Indeed.com is good. Go to the library and get resume and interviewing books. Make your resume perfect, pull together that list of all the addresses and etc you need when you do online applications. Consider community college night classes to get your math and computer skills up.

Try grocery stores and Target, those kinds of places. Even if you get something part time you can pay your bills and your parents until you pull together enough hours to rent a room somewhere else. (Don't think about apartments... renting a room is the way to go.)
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Day drinking should help pass the time.
  • gotogirl81
    Options
    Hi I'm retired but still active I volunteer 3 days a week, any voluntary work you do keeps you sane and active, and looks good on a CV , employers look for motivated people. Most towns have a volunteer bureau , keep busy

I am VERY busy. But being busy and not getting paid for it is no beauno... social iterations doesn't cut it, wish I could get paid for planning parties/ social events.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You sound like a nice girl and a good daughter, and it doesn't seem that you're taking advantage of anyone. Kudos to you for wanting to do more or do better. I struggled to find a job after I graduated from college, and a temping agency was very helpful. Do you have a temp or staffing agency nearby? Based on your skills, they can assign you some employment. It might be for only a few hours or a day here and there, but I found that if I did a good job consistently, they would contact me more often and for more regular work. Or can you try any volunteer work? If you enjoy animals, see if you can volunteer an hour at the humane society. Or if you enjoy reading, ask if the library needs help. This could help you get your foot in the door at those places, if a paid position becomes available, and it's something valuable to include on your resume. Good luck!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Most people really do need cars...& even cell phones.

How else are potential employers supposed to get a hold of you?
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I disagree. In this day and age, especially if you're looking for a job, you NEED a phone of some kind where you can easily be reached. I don't know where you're from, but in the U.S., land lines are much more expensive these days and quite useless. In fact, I can only think of a couple people who still even have a land line. While cutting back on expenses is a good idea, cutting out your phone is probably not advisable while looking for a job . . .

And cars are quite useful while looking for a job, too. Sure, I walk everywhere I can (and bike, too), but there are setbacks. Most places even in my big college town have no bike lanes. Public transportation is nonexistent. And where I grew up, I lived way too far out in the middle of nowhere to walk to even a convenience store (and I don't mind walking several miles, believe me). Much of the midwest is like this. The U.S. is just not set up for walking/biking, unless you live in a major city like NYC or somewhere. Furthermore, I have a friend who DOES try to bike everywhere, but no one respects him and he has been hit SEVERAL times (not his fault) and recently lost hearing in one ear when an elderly woman ran right over him. Don't assume that everyone who has a car is just being lazy, because sometimes it's the only feasible option when looking for a job, getting groceries, or doing other necessary activities.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Can you walk peoples dogs? You can charge like $10 a dog or so, and do that. At least it gets you out. It's not a lot of money, but I do know a few people who make a living doing it. But, it depends on where you live. Only works in the city.

This is something I worry about because I don't have anyone to fall back on anymore. It's just me. I would be homeless begging for change on a street corner. At least you have your parents.

Just keep pushing. Some people make finding a job a full time job. You just do it all day long. I did that when I was unemployed. I don't know if it was 8 hours, but I defintely put in a solid 5 or more almost everyday.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I found this today:

http://www.smarta.com/advice/starting-up/business-ideas/30-part-time-businesses-you-can-start-for-peanuts

Maybe it'll help you make a little money. Not a full time job, but still.
    When you are unemployed even a bit of money will go a long way.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I were laid off together about a year and a half ago, I started focusing on myself. We couldn't afford much and were way behind on our payments. Also, our car died at the same time so to get to interviews and look for jobs, I got a bike and biked everywhere. I got a job (actually 2) in fast food after about a month. See if they're looking for managers because then you can make decent money. I lucked out and had worked fast food before so they paid me $9 an hour instead of minimum wage (7.40) so I was able to barely pay all my bills and put food on the table. I did live in an expensive place though.

Now I'm unemployed again but by choice. I'm moving to Japan in 2 weeks and my husband is in the air force now so I quit to focus on me and stuff we needed to get done. I help my mom with her daycare too when I get too bored, but that doesn't happen often.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    looking does suck...i'll give you the same advice i gave my 18 year old son ...apply for everything. even stuff you don't think you are qualified for. If you get a rejection letter, call them and ask what you could have done differently to increase your chances. go to the library for help with your resume...keep a note book of where you apply with a phone number and the date you sent your application/resume...call them back in 10 days to verify they received it and offer to come in for an introduction to follow up your resume. send thank you notes after interviews. stay positive :) and good luck!