being unemployed...goin a lil stir crazy.

Options

Replies

• dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    street crime pays.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting to hear back from a few places.. sent resumes/ applied online places..
    alot of retail places are kinda done hiring for the holiday season so thats kinda out.
    I guess because I only have hair salon experience/ retail not many of the csr/data entry jobs I feel like its not worth applying because I'm not familiar with Excel/Programs like it.. and typing is about 30 words a minute esp if I'm reading from something.. not from my head.

I think that was your problem, "waiting to hear back" I know it's a lil late, but you really really should have applied for retail anything in the beginning of Nov. Many places don't hire professional job at the end of the year. Your parents might be annoyed because you didn't suck it up and take "anything" and instead waited to hear back.

Start applying to -everyone. A lot of people in retail quite after black friday because of the crap they got dealt. Christmas is still busy and then they have inventory in January. I would suggest working evenings and weekends so that you're still available for office hour interviews. While waiting, many communities offer free courses for things like csr and you can take the time to improve your typing skills.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do you have a bachelors degree? If so, get a substitute teachers license and go apply to sub at school districts.

A lot of school districts now are looking for subs instead of full time teachers/aids... and where I am, I get paid between 80 and 109 dollars a day. All that you need is finger prints and TB test.. and those generally don't cost very much or will be provided for free.

Once you start to sub, then you can look for other work... and it's a pretty flexible job.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    If you have knowledge of sports or enjoy a sport or two get your high school license. I use it as a second income and have made a couple grand in my yop months for minimal hours of work....It does not solve the problem but does provide some relief. Good luck!
  • dorkyhippy
    Options
    First, yay Philadelphia! I'm from Delaware County and miss the area tons.

I recommend Starbucks, if you'd be cool w/barista-ing. That's where I worked when I was living at home and in between jobs & I initially thought I'd hate it. However, the pay isn't horrible, tips can be good and the regulars become a part of your life really easily. It's also surprisingly not a bad place to work overall and they offer health benefits to you, even if you're part time.

Best of luck to you on your search.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I disagree with folks saying you don't need a car or phone. Cell phones are great for being reached by perspective employers. Not to mention, cheap. Keep it.

If your town doesn't have public transportation, you will need a car to get to jobs and interviews. People don't stop and think sometimes.

And in this day and age, internet is almost a necessity. Sure you can go to the library, but it is much easier (and again, cheap) to maintain a $20/month internet package and have constant contact with perspective employers (who most likely use internet for advertising jobs and applications). Keep it.

Have you tried temp agencies? They are good at getting your foot in the door at some places. Maybe even an internship. Also, look into attending college. Tech colleges have perspective job options shortly after completion. And they are cheap/free. Especially if you are not working.

If you are in a bigger city, look into becoming a bicycle courier. It's a job AND exercise!

learn cpr and become a nanny. So many people are hiring "parents" these days to raise their kids. In the small town where I went to school, many classmates had that job.

Good luck in your search.

ETA, I see you are near Philly. I still stand behind my car business. Unless you are in the city, public transportation is difficult. Philly is also not the friendliest cycling city.

STAY POSITIVE!! Take any job. You never know what you will learn from that job or someone you meet at that job!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i recently quit a high paying job in the oilfield, and moved back to my home state to use my g.i. bill(soon to be primary source of income). i recommend while you have the time, think over your goals in life and plan a way to achieve them. once you have that figured out. attack it with everything you got. but, remember, you may wind up with something that isn't your goal to fill any possible gap. like now, for me, i'm working as a plumber's helper to conserve money i saved to become a student.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Cut back on expenses! Do you really need a car & nobody NEEDs a mobile phone!!
    If u don't care why comment. This is dear to her heart and all u can do is being sarcastic and judgmental. I think u have issues.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Keep job hunting, and volunteer in the meantime - hospitals, nursing homes, etc. are always looking for volunteers, and it could be an important opportunity to network. Helps keep a "hole" from forming in your resume, and it's something that employers like to see.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    P.s. - this is long :)

Sweet , so you can pretty much ignore what most people have said, as many clearly don't know what needs these days are or have an understanding of the economy.

Before you go on acting like you know everything, please realize that you are still a student and have much to learn. Even at 40, you will have much to learn. I graduated college in 2008, when the US economy tanked. Four years later, I'm still struggling to find full time work. Many others my age *and older* are in the same position. If OP should receive any advice, it should be to value and respect the opinions of ALL who posted in this forum. It is easy to budget when you are in school and receive an allowance. However, many of us out in the real world (yes, even with college degrees) do not have money coming to us simply because we exist. Please reconsider that arrogant attitude of yours. Frankly, you have no idea how bad the economy is, either, dear.

OP, network in any way you can - temp, volunteer, or take a part-time position. Many people obtain work through networking. Don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm retired but still active I volunteer 3 days a week, any voluntary work you do keeps you sane and active, and looks good on a CV , employers look for motivated people. Most towns have a volunteer bureau , keep busy

I am VERY busy. But being busy and not getting paid for it is no beauno... social iterations doesn't cut it, wish I could get paid for planning parties/ social events.

Um... you can. I have a friend that does it (she does parties and weddings). If that's what you like to do, then I would definitely consider looking into how to make that a business venture... something you can start small and build it.
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Another few things I tried when unemployed that made me a bit of cash while I was looking for work....

*Selling things on Ebay-I love vintage clothes so I'd scour second hand shops and car boot sales, find something nice and stick it on Ebay, often making 5 times what I paid for it. You can do this with collectables, records, vases etc or even your old clothes / unwanted items

*Become a mystery shopper..In the UK there's Market Force and Retail Eyes, not sure about US but a quick Google should turn something up. It was fun, I got paid to shop and eat out, a lot of restaurant jobs also enabled me to take a friend too. It's not a full time job but it's fine for the freebies and a little cash.

*Writing short online articles..I wrote for Helium, you get $1-4 per article and you also get revenue from people reading them, you don't need any special skills except good writing and spellchecker. I write about things I know about so it's pretty fun. It soon adds up and then it pays into a paypal account.

*Work for Avon..really easy to get started and give the catalogues to all your friends and family

*Ann Summers-I don't know if this is in the US but over here it's a fun job, you organise parties for your friends / strangers or make it an event in a local centre. They give you a kit of goodies and I don't think you have to pay anything up front. If you are good at organising events this would be brilliant for you. You can arrange a ladies night in your local bar or something.

*Finally...babysitting, it's that time of year when people are going to work parties and nights out and babysitters are often in need
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cut back on expenses! Do you really need a car & nobody NEEDs a mobile phone!!

I very much disagree with this. Transportation and comunication are the #1 and #2 most important things in finding and keeping employment.

My advice is to make finding a job your job. Work at it 8 hrs a day. Go to your state's unemployment office and ask about free training oportunities.

Good luck!
  • fallbrawl
    Options
    I am also unemployed. I was told by a company that they were going to hire me. They told me to come back in a week to start my training. When i went back the lady said she never hired me and pretty much called me a liar.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I found my current job (that I LOVE) on craigslist.com.

Put out 10 applications a day no matter what, even if they don't say they're looking for someone. Persistence is the key. I put out over 3000 applications before I got a job.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    P.s. - this is long :)

Sweet , so you can pretty much ignore what most people have said, as many clearly don't know what needs these days are or have an understanding of the economy.

Before you go on acting like you know everything, please realize that you are still a student and have much to learn. Even at 40, you will have much to learn. I graduated college in 2008, when the US economy tanked. Four years later, I'm still struggling to find full time work. Many others my age *and older* are in the same position. If OP should receive any advice, it should be to value and respect the opinions of ALL who posted in this forum. It is easy to budget when you are in school and receive an allowance. However, many of us out in the real world (yes, even with college degrees) do not have money coming to us simply because we exist. Please reconsider that arrogant attitude of yours. Frankly, you have no idea how bad the economy is, either, dear.

OP, network in any way you can - temp, volunteer, or take a part-time position. Many people obtain work through networking. Don't get discouraged. :flowerforyou:

^^^^

The suggestion on looking for work on craigslist is right on. My husband found his current job there that pays a lot of money with wonderful benefits. Look high and low and put out as many aps as you can. I found a few of my jobs simply by walking in and filling out aps. Many times I was hired on the spot. You can also put up on craigs list for services offered such as dog walking/sitting. this time of year when people stay out for extended periods of time and sometimes days, it can get you money. A friend of mine, that's what she did for a living (we live in H'burg, not sure how big your area is, though) **If you have a pet, ask your vet if he has any recommendations. There are also papers you get in the mail for local jobs, search that as well. If you can get certified in CPR, you could also do some babysitting. Volunteering during church services for babies can get your name out there, and you out of the house.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I found my current job (that I LOVE) on craigslist.com.

Put out 10 applications a day no matter what, even if they don't say they're looking for someone. Persistence is the key. I put out over 3000 applications before I got a job.

3000?
    Holy *kitten*
  • gotogirl81
    gotogirl81 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i got a full time job working monday-friday 6am-2pm. I start monday. YAYY.

ill be like a zombie though working that early.. but that's ok.
    just wanted to share.
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Best of luck!!:flowerforyou: Those hours aren't bad at all!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i got a full time job working monday-friday 6am-2pm. I start monday. YAYY.

ill be like a zombie though working that early.. but that's ok.
    just wanted to share.

Congrats, take a nap after work then go for a run/walk. Your cat is adorable.