metabolism boosting pills??

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You are 21 years old, why would you need a metabolism pill? First, no pill or tuna juice will provide your body the ability to increase your metabolic rate. If anyone says otherwise ask them to show the science. If you want to increase your metabolism there are two ways to do that... exercise (especially weight training) and increasing your lean body mass as muscle needs more calories.

Next, you are a normal weight so the most you can expect is 1/2 lb per week. If you expect more than your expectations are too high. Also, 1200-1400 calories probably isnt cutting it and that is why you have slower than expected weight loss. If you are exercising, you need to fuel your body. Most women i know are around 1700-2000 calories as long as they are active. If you want, post your height, weight and exercise routine and we can estimate your caloric requirements.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I may just be biased but I take a supplement called Thermofit. It's from a company I distribute for called It Works! They also contain Raspberry Ketones that Dr. OZ talks about. Those things work. I am always hungry after taking them so I know they're working LOL.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There's cayenne pepper pills. Literally just ground cayenne pepper in clear gelatin capsules taken three times a day. Supposedly for boosting metabolism, but seriously, how are you supposed to even measure the results on your own?

Lol- Cayenne pepper pills would burn your butt hole. Seriously.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You are 21 years old, why would you need a metabolism pill? First, no pill or tuna juice will provide your body the ability to increase your metabolic rate.

Sorry but Dr. Oz says otherwise about the tuna juice.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If your looking to speed up your weight loss, thermogenics are not the answer... How do I know.. Ive tried a good many of them..
    they can be dangerous if you dont know what your taking and take them improperly. Yes..even the basic stuff sold at walmart etc.

The key to consistent and progressive weight loss is healthy eating and exercise, with dedication, patience and discipline..
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hop up and down on one leg. It works! Try it.

Dr. Oz...what a knob.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training will speed up your metabolism. So will lifting weights. I don't know about any safe pills that actually work, though.
  • jessieg515
    jessieg515 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are 21 years old, why would you need a metabolism pill? First, no pill or tuna juice will provide your body the ability to increase your metabolic rate. If anyone says otherwise ask them to show the science. If you want to increase your metabolism there are two ways to do that... exercise (especially weight training) and increasing your lean body mass as muscle needs more calories.

Next, you are a normal weight so the most you can expect is 1/2 lb per week. If you expect more than your expectations are too high. Also, 1200-1400 calories probably isnt cutting it and that is why you have slower than expected weight loss. If you are exercising, you need to fuel your body. Most women i know are around 1700-2000 calories as long as they are active. If you want, post your height, weight and exercise routine and we can estimate your caloric requirements.

Oh wow, good info! I've always been wondering about my calorie intake, too. I'm 5'5'' and my current weight as of Sunday is 151. My goal right now is 145 but we'll see how I feel then and if I want to go lower.

My exercise routine:
    Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday: HIIT for 20 or 30 minutes
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 5k to 10k iPhone app (already did Couch to 5k)
    Monday-Friday: Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones (40 min circuit training)
    Saturday: rest or light cardio

Thanks everyone!!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Oh wow, good info! I've always been wondering about my calorie intake, too. I'm 5'5'' and my current weight as of Sunday is 151. My goal right now is 145 but we'll see how I feel then and if I want to go lower.

My exercise routine:
    Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday: HIIT for 20 or 30 minutes
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 5k to 10k iPhone app (already did Couch to 5k)
    Monday-Friday: Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones (40 min circuit training)
    Saturday: rest or light cardio

Thanks everyone!!

Based on your stats, I would suggest setting a custom goal of 1850 calories, 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. This should help body recomposition. Where you can see the biggest improvement is if you cut 3 of those cardio days (as you already have enough cardio with the HIIT) and replace them with weight lifting routines. While weight loss might not be as great, you will retain your lean body mass and you will have a leaner and tighter body. And you will maintain your current metabolism. If you workout at the gym, google strong lift 5x5. It's a good beginners program. If you workout at home, there are programs like chalean extreme or P90x or you can look up routines on www.bodyrock.tv or youtube. If you need equipment, you can buy a few resistance bands. You can also get a door achor so you can do modified pullups.

Additionally, I would suggest slowly upping your calories. Set it at 1600 for two weeks. After that, then up it to 1850. After a month of 1850, you should see some good changes. If you don't get weight loss, hit me up. We might just have to adjust you calories down a bit.There is always a possibility that your metabolic rate is slower based on a history of suppressed calories. If you have more questions, let me know.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You are 21 years old, why would you need a metabolism pill? First, no pill or tuna juice will provide your body the ability to increase your metabolic rate.

Sorry but Dr. Oz says otherwise about the tuna juice.

I am sorry but Dr. Oz promotes whatever he is paid to promote. He doesn't actually do scientific research. That only way tuna juice will increase your TDEE is by running to the bathroom from throwing up. Add drinking tuna juice is like drinking salt. It's loaded with sodium which can cause water retention.
  • jessieg515
    Options

Based on your stats, I would suggest setting a custom goal of 1850 calories, 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. This should help body recomposition. Where you can see the biggest improvement is if you cut 3 of those cardio days (as you already have enough cardio with the HIIT) and replace them with weight lifting routines. While weight loss might not be as great, you will retain your lean body mass and you will have a leaner and tighter body. And you will maintain your current metabolism. If you workout at the gym, google strong lift 5x5. It's a good beginners program. If you workout at home, there are programs like chalean extreme or P90x or you can look up routines on www.bodyrock.tv or youtube. If you need equipment, you can buy a few resistance bands. You can also get a door achor so you can do modified pullups.

Additionally, I would suggest slowly upping your calories. Set it at 1600 for two weeks. After that, then up it to 1850. After a month of 1850, you should see some good changes. If you don't get weight loss, hit me up. We might just have to adjust you calories down a bit.There is always a possibility that your metabolic rate is slower based on a history of suppressed calories. If you have more questions, let me know.

such awesome info! thank you so much! i go to school on a campus with a gym so i am currently looking up the stronglift 5x5. i have set my calories to 1600 and will leave it there for a few weeks. i will let you know how things progress! but do you really think i should completely cut out the 5k to 10k? or just do weight lifting in addition to it?
  • psuLemon
    Options

such awesome info! thank you so much! i go to school on a campus with a gym so i am currently looking up the stronglift 5x5. i have set my calories to 1600 and will leave it there for a few weeks. i will let you know how things progress! but do you really think i should completely cut out the 5k to 10k? or just do weight lifting in addition to it?

Either do couch to 5k or the hiit , but not both. Too much cardio leads to a larger deficit which can lead to catabolization of lean body mass. I will note though that in terms of fat loss HIIT> steady state cardio. Also, HIIT has been proven to help maintain your lbm during weight loss.
  • jessieg515
    Options

Either do couch to 5k or the hiit , but not both. Too much cardio leads to a larger deficit which can lead to catabolization of lean body mass. I will note though that in terms of fat loss HIIT> steady state cardio. Also, HIIT has been proven to help maintain your lbm during weight loss.

what about my no more trouble zones video? is that out, too?
  • psuLemon
    Options

what about my no more trouble zones video? is that out, too?

You could always do it on a hiit day or replace a hiit with it. How long is it?
  • jessieg515
    Options

it's a 5 min warmup, 40 mins circuit training using 3lb dumbbells, and 5 min cool down.
  • psuLemon
    Options

it's a 5 min warmup, 40 mins circuit training using 3lb dumbbells, and 5 min cool down.

If you really like it and still want to do it, either sub it for a HIIT. 3lb dumbells isn't really weight training. It's cardio with weights, lol.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There's cayenne pepper pills. Literally just ground cayenne pepper in clear gelatin capsules taken three times a day. Supposedly for boosting metabolism, but seriously, how are you supposed to even measure the results on your own?

Lol- Cayenne pepper pills would burn your butt hole. Seriously.

My grandpa took those for arthritis. I don't know if they actually helped him, but he did fart a lot.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I may just be biased but I take a supplement called Thermofit. It's from a company I distribute for called It Works! They also contain Raspberry Ketones that Dr. OZ talks about. Those things work. I am always hungry after taking them so I know they're working LOL.

They all work about as much as snake oil. Show me one peer reviewed double blind study that shows they work better than a cup of coffee and a good workout and I'll have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
  • LoreyGiblin
    Options
    stay away from those things without a doubt!

just stick to a general overall multi-vitamin.

if anything, you could consider supplements. they help enhance performance, heal your body, etc.

i only trust beachbody
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday that researchers altered some mice to get hungry by day instead of their usual night hungries and given the same calories, the day-eating mice got fat. Then they gave the day-eating mice EPA and DHA (nutrients found in fish oil) and they didn't get fat. I don't know if that has any bearing on humans, but there are enough other benefits of fish oil for me to give it a try.