Boooo.

you are talking about the minority.
    most of the people that are undereating are doing it on their own

I agree that if Dr orders, it's okay, but ^^^^
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    R4WJHSH5TJ4EXVZ4IWS2A6VYE3LL3FM6.gif

If doctor says so, then it is ok but i know I can't eat under 1200 without feeling like I am starving and like poop.
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree, I eat what I want, if its under 1200 calories, so be it. Im not going to stuff more pumpkin pie in just to reach 1200 calories! lol Maybe these people are a bit jealous of your weight loss and choose to have nasty responses! You look amazing and congratulations on your weightloss :)
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Some people on here find it their God given right to expound on lots of subjects here. Especially 1200 calories or below eaters. You just have to ignore the "haters" and the "know it all's" they are everywhere. Just go about your plan your way.

What I find so interesting is that years ago people ate at minimal levels. Of course obesity wasn't the problem that it is now. There was no junk food and restaurants were a treat. Somehow we were healthier and people obviously lived through it as a human race because we are all still here. There are lots of areas of the world that do not eat enormous amounts of food consisting of high calorie and high fat diets. My grandmother lived until almost 101, she died last September . Doubt she ever consumed more than 1200 calories a day her entire life.

Everyone just needs to find what works for them and preface their advice with "this is what worked for me". That doesn't make it gospel.

Whoa!?? History lesson: Our quality of life and life expectancies are MUCH longer now than they were 50 years ago, or in the times when we "were healthier" as you put them. Those diets didn't really do much for those people, most of them died much earlier, your example is an exception.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I gained my weight not from overeating but from junk food and no exercise. I eat between 800-1000 calories a day.When I stated I went to 1200 like MFP set me at and I had trouble getting there and always felt full to overflowing. I have had WLS 4 years ago. My surgeon, and his Nut have told me to go to 800 calories to lose and 1000 to maintain.

My stomach is very small.Just because my stomach is small, I still digest and feed the same body functions as everyone else. My hair is lusious, my skin glows, my nails grow, I still have the energy to get up an dance. I sleep about 7 hours a night. I am very humorus and pleasant to be around.

I will be 800-1000 calories for life. I am not wilting, fainting or otherwise unhealthy. I get my labs checked every month and take a fist full of vitamins daily. Do not worry about what others say, everyone is different, and what works for them and for people who agree with them doesn't have to work for others. Thank God we are not Robots all manufactured on the same assembly line

Alot of people who eat under 1200 are not starving or walking around hungry denying themselves food.

Thankfully too that I pay money to get advice from an expert who took years of intentisve schooling and years of hands on training to advise me without consulting an internet website article. You can go to one for advice as well. Look in the yellow pages under "Physicians".
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thumbs down.

Bad post. Would not read again.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I gained my weight not from overeating but from junk food and no exercise. I eat between 800-1000 calories a day.When I stated I went to 1200 like MFP set me at and I had trouble getting there and always felt full to overflowing. I have had WLS 4 years ago. My surgeon, and his Nut have told me to go to 800 calories to lose and 1000 to maintain.

My stomach is very small.Just because my stomach is small, I still digest and feed the same body functions as everyone else. My hair is lusious, my skin glows, my nails grow, I still have the energy to get up an dance. I sleep about 7 hours a night. I am very humorus and pleasant to be around.

I will be 800-1000 calories for life. I am not wilting, fainting or otherwise unhealthy. I get my labs checked every month and take a fist full of vitamins daily. Do not worry about what others say, everyone is different, and what works for them and for people who agree with them doesn't have to work for others. Thank God we are not Robots all manufactured on the same assembly line

Alot of people who eat under 1200 are not starving or walking around hungry denying themselves food.

Thankfully too that I pay money to get advice from an expert who took years of intentisve schooling and years of hands on training to advise me without consulting an internet website article. You can go to one for advice as well. Look in the yellow pages under "Physicians".

Are you equating your doctor supervised experience with everyone else who is eating <1000 calories?

ETA: For those who have not had WLS surgery and are not under the supervision of a doctor, I do not (and likely will not ever) believe <1000 calories is either optimal or ideal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    One of the dumbest threads ever!
  • nanainkent
    Options

Are you equating your doctor supervised experience with everyone else who is eating <1000 calories?

ETA: For those who have not had WLS surgery and are not under the supervision of a doctor, I do not (and likely will not ever) believe <1000 calories is either optimal or ideal.

I am not saying eveyone who is eating under 1200 is because they are having my experience. The point is, I proccess calories the same way you do, I infact have more difficulty with absorbing nutrients. If my body can function and be healthy on my limited calories then why can't someone else. Why is that everyone who is under 1200 is starving and decaying thier bodies. Not true, there are people who are detrimental to thier systems but there are also those that are doing just fine. I agree with the OP, people who get all up in arms over someone mentioning that they eat that low don't even bother, I say bother, to ask the reason.
  • RavenHershey0107
    Options
    1. This is the internet and as long as people are not breaking any of the rules you have no say in what is written.
    2. Most people on here who get negative feed back about undereating are not in a "special circumstance" like you. When I see time after time young females with very low goal weights (I am talking 5'6" wanting to be 90lbs) and trying to live off 500 calories a day then yes I will state my opinion because people like that shouldn't be here and I would bet that the reason more are here now is because other sites started cracking down on pro ana type people.
    3. People under a doctor's supervision are doing right by seeking professional help but sadly this is the minority. A lot people take it upon themselves to go to extreme measures to lose weight without any concern for health and that is where all the "bashing" comes from.
  • nanainkent
    Options
    1. This is the internet and as long as people are not breaking any of the rules you have no say in what is written.
    2. Most people on here who get negative feed back about undereating are not in a "special circumstance" like you. When I see time after time young females with very low goal weights (I am talking 5'6" wanting to be 90lbs) and trying to live off 500 calories a day then yes I will state my opinion because people like that shouldn't be here and I would bet that the reason more are here now is because other sites started cracking down on pro ana type people.
    3. People under a doctor's supervision are doing right by seeking professional help but sadly this is the minority. A lot people take it upon themselves to go to extreme measures to lose weight without any concern for health and that is where all the "bashing" comes from.

On this I can agree with you
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

As it's the internet, the o.p. has every right to complain about the bloggers as the bloggers have a right to complain about people who eat less than 1200 calories. Where did anyone claim that they don't have this right? She just said that she's sick of it. I'm sick of it too and I haven't even been on here that long. Half the threads on here are people bashing those who eat 1200 calorie diets. It's getting old.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

As it's the internet, the o.p. has every right to complain about the bloggers as the bloggers have a right to complain about people who eat less than 1200 calories. Where did anyone claim that they don't have this right? She just said that she's sick of it. I'm sick of it too and I haven't even been on here that long. Half the threads on here are people bashing those who eat 1200 calorie diets. It's getting old.

Half?

You're either bad at math or prone to exaggeration.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Some people on here find it their God given right to expound on lots of subjects here. Especially 1200 calories or below eaters. You just have to ignore the "haters" and the "know it all's" they are everywhere. Just go about your plan your way.

What I find so interesting is that years ago people ate at minimal levels. Of course obesity wasn't the problem that it is now. There was no junk food and restaurants were a treat. Somehow we were healthier and people obviously lived through it as a human race because we are all still here. There are lots of areas of the world that do not eat enormous amounts of food consisting of high calorie and high fat diets. My grandmother lived until almost 101, she died last September . Doubt she ever consumed more than 1200 calories a day her entire life.

Everyone just needs to find what works for them and preface their advice with "this is what worked for me". That doesn't make it gospel.

Whoa!?? History lesson: Our quality of life and life expectancies are MUCH longer now than they were 50 years ago, or in the times when we "were healthier" as you put them. Those diets didn't really do much for those people, most of them died much earlier, your example is an exception.

Plus, I would love to see an actual calorie count for the foods your grandmother ate. I'm guessing she did eat more than 1200 calories....as a lot of people used butter, lard, and oil when cooking. Chicken was often fried, meats served with gravy. Milk was delivered fresh on a regular basis and people also used a lot of cream when cooking. People who had to scrimp and save bought the cheap cuts of meat, which had a lot of fat, and/or cooked with beans a lot (which are decently calorie dense). Potatoes, noodles, and bread were served in abundance, as they were also inexpensive and easy. Yes, people ate more vegetables, but I highly doubt that entire generations of people were eating below 1200 cals. Don't believe me? Crack open any cookbook from 1850-1940 and take a look at the recipes. Add up the calories.

Edit to say that people who are under doctor's supervision because they already have had WLS or are preparing for another surgery are the exception and not the rule.
    If 800 cals a day are all you can eat because you've had surgery, that's fine. Good luck & I hope you have long term success - surgery is a hard road to take and I know it hasn't been easy for you to get to where you are. But to equate that with a 25 year old woman who works out 4 times a week and is still only eating 1200 cals.....that's not right.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Half?

You're either bad at math or prone to exaggeration.

It's a figure of speech. geeez. I didn't go and actually count up exactly how many threads are about this topic, but the number is very high.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Plus, I would love to see an actual calorie count for the foods your grandmother ate. I'm guessing she did eat more than 1200 calories....as a lot of people used butter, lard, and oil when cooking. Chicken was often fried, meats served with gravy. Milk was delivered fresh on a regular basis and people also used a lot of cream when cooking. People who had to scrimp and save bought the cheap cuts of meat, which had a lot of fat, and/or cooked with beans a lot (which are decently calorie dense). Potatoes, noodles, and bread were served in abundance, as they were also inexpensive and easy. Yes, people ate more vegetables, but I highly doubt that entire generations of people were eating below 1200 cals. Don't believe me? Crack open any cookbook from 1850-1940 and take a look at the recipes. Add up the calories.

Edit to say that people who are under doctor's supervision because they already have had WLS or are preparing for another surgery are the exception and not the rule.
    If 800 cals a day are all you can eat because you've had surgery, that's fine. Good luck & I hope you have long term success - surgery is a hard road to take and I know it hasn't been easy for you to get to where you are. But to equate that with a 25 year old woman who works out 4 times a week and is still only eating 1200 cals.....that's not right.

They probably did eat more, but they also didn't have desk jobs where they sat behind a computer all day every day, so they actually needed to eat more.
  • LoraF83
    Options

They probably did eat more, but they also didn't have desk jobs where they sat behind a computer all day every day, so they actually needed to eat more.

So because I have a desk job, I need to eat 1200 a day?

Sorry, but nope. I'm losing on 2000 a day.

Some people may be fine on 1200. Some people can (and probably should) eat more. Everyone should run their numbers, figure out their BMR and TDEE and then determine an appropriate calorie goal for themselves.
  • Aviva92
    Options

So because I have a desk job, I need to eat 1200 a day?

Sorry, but nope. I'm losing on 2000 a day.

Some people may be fine on 1200. Some people can (and probably should) eat more. Everyone should run their numbers, figure out their BMR and TDEE and then determine an appropriate calorie goal for themselves.

sorry, but NOPE i did not claim that you should do anything. i'm losing on 1200 calories a day though. it works for me. people telling me i need to eat more are annoying.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That is lovely for you - but please remember you are a 56 year old woman
  • LoraF83
    Options

That is lovely for you - but please remember you are a 56 year old woman.

And it's also another case of volume =/= calorie count. You don't have that many Oreos to take in a lot of calories. So maybe you didn't feel like you were overeating volume-wise, but calorie-wise you probably were. Very few people become fat on 800 calories a day of junkfood.
This discussion has been closed.