I've personally added "Sitting at Work" as an exercise...

Options
According to this chart: http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwork.htm
sitting at work actually burns 89 to 140 Calories per hour (depending on personal weight)

If I sit at work for 6-8 Hours everyday, I'd be burning 756-984 calories.

Should I do this? It just feels like an excuse to add more calories to use to eat hah!

Replies

• Odiliawine
    Odiliawine Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This actually makes a lot of sense. I would love to know the answer to this too. Maybe yes if you're set to sedentary currently?
  • APESteacher
    Options
    Your daily activities are built in. You should not count this.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    that would depend on if you are still losing weight, if that is your goal????
    When I stall then I start looking for why and what to change.
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    MFP counts your BMR (the cals needed to keep your body alive), the cals needed to digest your food, plus some activity (depending on what you set it at). My BMR (had it tested in a lab) is around 1600, or 1.1 cal/minute. That's if I did nothing at all. Your 89-140 estimate for sitting includes BMR plus digestion--and isn't that much more than the 67 I burn not moving a muscle. I wouldn't add it.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Built in, you should not add them again.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    As others have said, these calories are built in to your activity level. I really like this calculator:
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

You can play around with it to get an idea of how much you burn on any given day, based on the actual activities you did that day (sitting, running, sleeping, whatever).
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Sitting isn't exercise. And it's already built into your activity level. Don't log it.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ THIS
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    apparently we burn more calories sleeping than sitting.
    maybe you should just quit your job and sleep all day?
    although i dont know if it would be worth doing that just to be able to eat the food back since you wouldnt be able to afford food anyway with no income.

i dunno.. i'm just throwing that idea out there
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    Can I add "Searching all over the office building for the IT guy or one of my bosses because they are never ever in their office when they get a phone call and they don't respond to pages"?
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

^^^ This

/End Thread
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2250 calories. This works out to 93.75 calories an hour while I'm sitting at work. I have a feeling that's what they're talking about. To add those calories ON TOP of your regular calories would be double-dipping.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    haha no, would be nice though. your body is always burning calories regardless of whether or not you're exercising. Plus, this is normal routine for you at sedentary lifestyle...so you shouldn't log it anyway.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Can I add "Searching all over the office building for the IT guy or one of my bosses because they are never ever in their office when they get a phone call and they don't respond to pages"?

if you add it, i'll log it! haha
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Funniest thing I've read today!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I staple things. Should I add that to the database under resistance exercises? Its a crap stapler.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Sometimes I staple things. Should I add that to the database under resistance exercises? Its a crap stapler.

I actually laughed at this. Very nice. : )
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna count how many times I stand up and sit down from my desk today, and when I get home, I'm gonna log that many squats!

:wink:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    actually I think logging 'sitting at work' a good idea - if only because it would prompt me to do less of it!!! Knowing that I spent 8 hours or so just sitting and not moving (by moving I mean even just walking around the office) would be a good motivation to do more activity.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    According to this chart: http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwork.htm
    sitting at work actually burns 89 to 140 Calories per hour (depending on personal weight)

If I sit at work for 6-8 Hours everyday, I'd be burning 756-984 calories.

Should I do this? It just feels like an excuse to add more calories to use to eat hah!

No.