I've personally added "Sitting at Work" as an exercise...

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    those calories have already been counted for you by MFP so if you add them again, you would be counting them twice.

if you are not eating back your exercise calories, it will not matter.
  • larrytsuei
    Options
    Aw Shucks hahahaha thought I'd run it by y'all before I gave it a shot, THANKS! :)
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Your daily activities are built in. You should not count this.

^This. Esp. if it is part of your typical day.
    If you eat those calories back, you'll be defeating your efforts.
  • AlaskaTaylor
    Options
    Same question, different situation.

As I'm a student, my job is part-time and not every day. Also, my job is somewhat physically taxing. I work reshelving books in a library. So I spend 2-4 hours on a day that I work doing the following:
    -pushing a 50-300lb wheeled cart (depending how many books are on it)
    -walking briskly (3mph maybe?) carrying ~5lbs of books
    -stretching/squatting, lifting/pushing large stacks of books

Should I be logging THIS? I've started logging it, but it seems to burn more than I'd expect . . .
    I'm not counting my really basic activities through the day, like walking around campus or whatever.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

As I'm a student, my job is part-time and not every day. Also, my job is somewhat physically taxing. I work reshelving books in a library. So I spend 2-4 hours on a day that I work doing the following:

Should I be logging THIS? I've started logging it, but it seems to burn more than I'd expect . . .
    I'm not counting my really basic activities through the day, like walking around campus or whatever.

if you do this every day (or 5 times per week) just change your activity level from sedentary to light active. it will give you about 200 kcal extra / day.
  • AlaskaTaylor
    Options

if you do this every day (or 5 times per week) just change your activity level from sedentary to light active. it will give you about 200 kcal extra / day.

It is 3 (sometimes 4, but not often) days per week.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    According to this chart: http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwork.htm
    sitting at work actually burns 89 to 140 Calories per hour (depending on personal weight)

If I sit at work for 6-8 Hours everyday, I'd be burning 756-984 calories.

Should I do this? It just feels like an excuse to add more calories to use to eat hah!

I feel hard done by now lol! I'm a secondary school languages teacher and I'm on my feet all day at work, 'entertaining' teenagers as I teach them French! I don't sit down! Plus I teach in loads of different rooms as I work part time so I'm always walking round the building carrying a laptop, bag, resources etc. The site I looked on claimed 'standing teaching' burns 88 calories an hour. How can it burn the same amount as sitting on your backside?!

I do sometimes log it, but not always.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    According to this chart: http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedwork.htm
    sitting at work actually burns 89 to 140 Calories per hour (depending on personal weight)

If I sit at work for 6-8 Hours everyday, I'd be burning 756-984 calories.

Should I do this? It just feels like an excuse to add more calories to use to eat hah!

congratulations on half arsing it and calling what you already have to do everyday "exercise"

cause obviously going to work every day is enough to get you to your fitness goals.
  • yoovie
    Options
    reshelving books is a physically taxing job? :huh:
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    That's right up there with the calories burned to re-warm ice cold water...no, do not log sitting, or showering, or washing dishes...these are everyday things.

If you do log them, I expect we'll see a thread called "I burn 800-1000 calories a day but I STILL gain weight!"

:tongue:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've had a desk job for 5 years, I attribute my washboard abs to this. Anyone need me to squeeze them out a diamond? *bicep flex*
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Working in a library, I can attest that shelving books can be a decent workout depending on speed, reach, etc (not like running a 5K by any means :smile: )

As far as sitting at work - those are the calories you burn just by being alive :drinker:
  • StrawberryThief
    Options
    No. This will be accounted for if you've picked 'sedentary' for your activity.
  • yoovie
    Options
    i lold at 5K too but that wasnt nice - everyone has to start somewhere.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    but if you TRACK something then you can EAT BACK those calories to LOOSE Weight!
  • rsm1972
    rsm1972 Posts: 283
    Options
    MFP counts your BMR (the cals needed to keep your body alive), the cals needed to digest your food, plus some activity (depending on what you set it at). My BMR (had it tested in a lab) is around 1600, or 1.1 cal/minute. That's if I did nothing at all. Your 89-140 estimate for sitting includes BMR plus digestion--and isn't that much more than the 67 I burn not moving a muscle. I wouldn't add it.

I totally agree with you :):)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    sounds like a solid plan to get fat
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Can I add "Searching all over the office building for the IT guy or one of my bosses because they are never ever in their office when they get a phone call and they don't respond to pages"?

Wait... do we have the same IT guys or bosses?? lol
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options

Nah, but you might want to try setting your activity level to "lightly active" to reflect that.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Not only that, you should write a book about it.

Call it "Sit on your *ss to get Ripped."