Free weights at the gym for women

Options
Hi all, I am starting to get really interested in weight/resistance training and want to ramp it up a level. I keep on reading how free weights and or body weight exercises have many more benefits than the machines at the gym but I have only ever used the small dumbbells for bicep curls etc plus a few bodypump classes a while ago and I don't know where to start by myself.

So the weights area in the gym has a few adjustable benches and when I checked this morning 12kg weights were the lowest (there are lighter ones in another area downstairs that has stability balls but no benches). I couldn't see bar bells etc but the grunting was a bit off putting so I will have a better look next time, I assume they do have them.

As a relative beginner what are good upper body exercises to start with? Any good websites/workouts/tips/things to avoid that you can share with me?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Eww. Grunting. Probably oughta stay away from places where there's grunting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

That is gonna keep her out of at least 2 areas of my place
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I bought a copy of Rachel Cosgroves book for my wife and she loves it.. I think its called "the female body breakthrough".

Rachel and her husband are very well known trainers, and her book covers technique, and gives routines for you to do with free weights and body weight.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Grunting pleases me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    look into programmes such as New Rules of Lifting for Women; Stronglifts and Starting Strength.

Go for compound lifts rather than just trynig to work on upper body strength - squats and deadlifts with barbells should be staples in your programme.

start light to get form down pat, then don't be afraid to up the weight. Increase weight rather than reps. Various bodybuilding websites can help as well. There's a few groups of female lufters here including a New Rules group.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I have at least 4 places that would fit that criteria.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Is there a personal trainer available? At least get one session to learn proper form with the equipment, then consider a program like stronglifts 5x5 to start building strength. Just my .02.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, after you've been lifting a while, the grunting gets to be quite comical, especially when you could swear they grunt louder when women are around. :laugh:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) Look into some strength programs such as "New Rules of Lifting for Women", "Starting Strength" and "Stronglifts 5x5"

2) Focus on compound lifts that work your whole body for the best results, rather than isolation exercises (though of course you can do these as well if you want)

3) Don't be afraid to lift heavy. With compound exercises and barbells you'll find you can probably lift a lot heavier than you think.

4) Try not to let the grunting put you off. I'm aware that it can be a bit intimidating at first, but there are really nice guys in that area, that are just working out really hard / exerting themselves.

5) If you're still unsure about what to do after looking at the programs and / or watching youtube videos of the exercises, you could always hire a PT for a few sessions, until you pick up the basics :)
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Thanks for this. It can be difficult to find specific info as there is so much on here.
  • rougenoire
    Options

When it means blokes lifting large weights in a small space where I would get in the way then yeah I think I will stay out of their way ;)
  • rougenoire
    Options

Grunting (at the gym) is kinda off putting to a newbie trying to figure it out. I'm reading something else for the second place but I'll leave that alone ;)
  • rougenoire
    Options
    I bought a copy of Rachel Cosgroves book for my wife and she loves it.. I think its called "the female body breakthrough".

Rachel and her husband are very well known trainers, and her book covers technique, and gives routines for you to do with free weights and body weight.

thank you I will check this out :)
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Grunting pleases me.

I second this. Get your lift on.

To the OP - New Rules of Lifting for Women would be a good place to start. It'll set you up with a plan and you can build off of it as you feel more comfortable.
  • rougenoire
    Options
    Grunting pleases me.

Each to their own :) I wasn't going to get in the way of guys with big weights. Maybe this time next week I'll be grunting along with them?
  • rougenoire
    Options
    look into programmes such as New Rules of Lifting for Women; Stronglifts and Starting Strength.

Go for compound lifts rather than just trynig to work on upper body strength - squats and deadlifts with barbells should be staples in your programme.

start light to get form down pat, then don't be afraid to up the weight. Increase weight rather than reps. Various bodybuilding websites can help as well. There's a few groups of female lufters here including a New Rules group.

thank you that's really useful, will check out those programmes and figure out what is actually in the weights area properly to help me :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

When it means blokes lifting large weights in a small space where I would get in the way then yeah I think I will stay out of their way ;)

As long as your working out and not just standing around doing nothing, or going up to them and talking to them in the middle of a set, you will NOT be in their way :)

You have as much right to be there as them!

My whole gym in that type of gym. It's small and has a lot of members (all male apart from me as far as I'm aware) Upstairs (where the entrance is) is a little bit of cardio and machine weights. Downstairs (where I go 95% of the time) is free weights. Big men lifting big weights. I haven't seen another woman there in months. It's great though, once you get used to it you'll be fine :)
  • rougenoire
    Options
    Is there a personal trainer available? At least get one session to learn proper form with the equipment, then consider a program like stronglifts 5x5 to start building strength. Just my .02.

thanks there are personal trainers but I'd like to find out a bit myself first so I can figure out what I need help with. Will have a look in to that program too :)
  • rougenoire
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, after you've been lifting a while, the grunting gets to be quite comical, especially when you could swear they grunt louder when women are around. :laugh:

I already like that the guts get sucked in more as I have started getting more toned ;) I guess that could be my NSV for this week! Reckon I can get good enough that I silence them?