Office treats :(

Options
So I work in a bullpen (a big square cube where four of us work, one at each corner, plus one extra girl in between. I love my coworkers, BUT one of the girls is constantly bringing in treats. She's probably 100 lbs and 5 ft tall and doesn't eat anything she brings in.

Worse yet, she leaves them literally right next to me on one of the bullpen walls. Currently there are red velvet, chocolate, and gingerbread whoopie pies sitting less than a foot from me. There is nowhere else in the bullpen to put them.

What do I do??? My willpower has never been great. This has been going on ever since she started working here a couple months ago. It's hard to resist all day when they are staring you in the face...

Any tips?

Replies

• wiglett
    Options
    I'd just move them to the actual break room and say you just dont want there to be a mess or anything in your work space.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i have a similiar issue....right now its cold and raining outside and the office just ordered chinese food...i packed chicken noodle soup which is by far no competition. :( I ordered one eggroll,but i will eat my soup before chinese gets here and i hope i dont eat it :( i just reached 159 today which is BIG for me after sitting around with 160 point whatever for like 2-3 weeks. sigh
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'd just move them to the actual break room and say you just dont want there to be a mess or anything in your work space.

Yeah, its just that she brings the treats in for our team of 12 people, and our office has over 100...so moving them into the break room kind of kills the point and I don't think she'd agree.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Agree with this... A) be honest and say you don't want the temptation or B) say you saw ants and don't want to attract more ... LOL either way the treats belong in the break room not your office :-) GOOD luck!!! I know its hard I work in the same type envioronment and there are people who bring in cheese danishes or a box of donuts ALL the time!!! GAAH!!!
  • deagh93
    deagh93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

This! Actually, I've stopped eating at my desk entirely. Walking away from the desk for food has made me snack less, plus there are no longer crumbs in my keyboard. Win win!

And if she pushes back about that then develop a clumsy streak and start knocking them off the bullpen wall. ;)
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you'll just have to learn to deal with it. I know that may not sound helpful but it is THE best thing you can do for yourself in this lifestyle change. Other people shouldn't have to not have treats around just because you can't resist.

It gets easier over time.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    can i ever relate to you. i work both in business and nursing ..both fields that are chock full of crappy food . i talked everyone into having a healthy food day where everyone brought in healthy dishes, appetizers ect and it turned out to be a good time . on most days i try like heck to bring in stuff i can eat so i dont get hungry or feel left out
  • thanich2006
    thanich2006 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have coworkers that bring in cookies and cakes all the time. Every birthday they are bringing in a cake. This year my coworkers have noticed that I have not been eating any and know now that I am trying to get into shape and really cutting out all the snacks. By letting them know this they are willing to hlep me out too. This year for my birthday they brought in a veggie tray instead of cake
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    We went to a hospital once to see my dad. When I got to the floor they were on, there was a reception area with Krispy Kreme donuts on the counter. I thought, "Okay, if I can get back to his room, they'll be out of site and I won't have to worry about them." Got to his room, went in and sat down - in comes my sister with one - smacking on her fingers, and sits down next to me with it. I
    told her, "Can you go over there and sit with that? I don't want to see it, smell it, or hear you eating it...." Everybody laughed as she got up and moved and said laughingly, "oh - sorry..."

I did tell everyone at work I was trying to lose weight so they would know. We don't have the problem so much anymoe of staff bringing in things, but Last Christmas was a different story. One of our vendors actually sent 5 pounds of chocolates to each of the directors in our office. Before we knew what it was, one of them opened the box at my desk (which is up front near the reception area) - once we realized what it was, he put everything back in the box and said, "Why dont' I take this and put it in my car...." I said, "I would really like that a lot..." and smiled.

Best suggestion: Go ahead and put them in the break room anyway; either that or put them on her desk and say, "Look - I'm trying to lose weight, and having these things right next to my desk isn't working for me. Please find another place for them."

Either that or tell everyone: "Claim what you want now, or it's getting thrown away in 10 minutes."
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would clear a space in your bullpen away from your desk and move them there. I understand having the temptation stare you in the face so if you can at least move it a little further away you're sparing her feelings, letting others enjoy but helping to keep yourself strong.

I am so thankful I have a new job where that doesn't happen. In my old office every single day during December there would be some sort of treat (mostly from vendors) but almost every Friday all year long there would be treats as well. It did make it hard to stay strong with so many temptations.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I share an office with another coworker. We have 4 small jars of different types of candies. yes ..4..lol

discipline is the key :)
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Hahahaha! I am already clumsy so it wouldn't be a stretch. :)

This! Actually, I've stopped eating at my desk entirely. Walking away from the desk for food has made me snack less, plus there are no longer crumbs in my keyboard. Win win!

And if she pushes back about that then develop a clumsy streak and start knocking them off the bullpen wall. ;)
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Unfortunately you'll just have to learn to deal with it. I know that may not sound helpful but it is THE best thing you can do for yourself in this lifestyle change. Other people shouldn't have to not have treats around just because you can't resist.

It gets easier over time.

This is true....but at the same time they are next to ME, not anyone else. In my eyeline even. I guess that's what bugs me about it
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Could you have a conversation with her about your goals and how having those yummy treats so close by is difficult for you? Perhaps the two of you could come up with a solution. Can you switch office space with her? Can anything be adjusted so they are not SO close to you? Could she pass them around to your team of 12 instead of leaving them for people to come up and take? Surely a solution can be reached that is agreeable to you both.
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm a teller at a bank--predominantly female coworkers and they always bring in snacks/treats. I usually keep a few sweet but low cal snacks in my window so there's less temptation. The Skinny Cow brand is good for that, so are pieces of fruit. Hope this was helpful!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    That's a tough one!

I'd eat one of each flavor.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Fedex them to:

1 Cranky Lane
    Crankville USA
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    One of my coworkers does this too. It's partially because she bakes and doesnt want it at home and partially because she likes to play headgames. In any case, I tried not paying attention but the treats stare at me and call my name like a siren...... sigh........I've just been delaying as long as I can and then take a small piece. I fit it in with my calories.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What about you bringing in a veggie or fruit tray for everyone and set it in that same spot instead? That way, if you snack, it's not the sweets (well, fruit is sweet, but you know what I mean) out there tempting you. That might also send the message that you're trying to eat healthy.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    free office treats don't have calories