SBF2 Reboot Boogaloo Feb 8th

Options
Happy New Week.

I got the shoes last night. I'm going to try them today on the treadmill. They are very strange to wear. They feel too tight. I also have a private lesson tonight with my yoga teacher - so good exercise times all round. Because of the success of the "Born to Run" book, the shoes are a little hard to find - oh, and they are only in European sizes. If I like them, I will order another pair. I liked the ones that cover your foot entirely. As a bonus, they are enough like the shape of you feet that you can do yoga in them.

I made these meringue hearts for my mom the other day. They are just egg whites and sugar (and very few calories), but I've been eating them. I need to stop. I noticed that I was looking around for dessert after dinner last night, which is the behavior I'm avoiding.

New boogaloo!

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Hi Pebbs,

Moving into a new week with a new attitude. I went to my life coach (I know, even I think it's hilarious, but she's helpful) Saturday and said "I feel so over-scheduled!" she looked at my calendar and said "that's because you're over-scheduled. . .where's the leisure time?". Part of my homework for her I had to bring to her was to take two "average" days and do a calendar that documented how I spent every hour. Surprisingly (to me, anyway) I don't goof off nearly as much as I think. There's always household stuff, shopping, school work that "doesn't count" (in my brain) because it's not major project work, helping students via email, etc. I really pretty much went non-stop from coffee to post-dinner (so from about 8 am to 8:30 pm) . There was very little time for myself or time with my husband on my calendar. Unbalanced, big time.

I think it's very weird that I'm being instructed to goof off more. But, as it's all part of my master plan to prevent burnout, today is a light goal day:

Spanish practice, mani/pedi, and boxing class. A light day is also in order because this is the one day per month that my special lady time lays me low anyway.

I love that my current self defines a day that includes an hour and a half of boxing as a "light day".:laugh:

In other news, I'm going to experiment with making Tuesday/Thursday double dip workout days. Tuesdays are zumba in the am, and yoga (at the gym) pm and Thursdays are spin/zumba back to back at the gym. I love zumba, and it doesn't feel like working out to me. Also, I'm really excited about the new yoga teacher who said "pick a pose goal and we'll work toward it." Full wheel and crow balance, here I come! My goal is to be able to hold both of the poses for a respectable length of time (I can only "pop up" into them for brief periods right now) by July. Seems workable?

Mary, I'm very curious to hear the whole vibram report after you've used them a bit more. I looked at them online (haven't seen an actual one) and was curious about the blistering factor. . .I would definitely be interested in using them for treadmill stuff, but would probably be too weirded out to use them outdoors (even though I know they're made for that sort of thing). Also, step away from the meringues!:tongue:

And, hey, CP. . .I got these "Barefoot Science" insoles online about a year ago. They've got a heavy-duty infomercial vibe going. . .but I have to tell you, for me, they've actually been working. The idea is that they gradually raise the arch support and that strengthens the muscles. I was having a lot of arthritis pain in my left foot, (not good when my feet are my primary mode of transportation) and they seem to be helping. Also, they don't cost a fortune like orthotics do. Might be worth 30-40 bucks to try for you.

Wishing all my pebbs a great day (don't forget your "you time":wink: hey, that's expensive advice for free.)

Leisure boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • l_slade
    Options
    I haven't heard of boogaloo... what are they? what do they do?
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi l_slade - we are just a little group who post our fitness/eating goals for the day/week and check back in regularly to chat and report on how we're doing. SBF stands for "Stronger, Better, Faster", the "reboot" part was because a while back we decided we needed to reboot our goals, and we kept the SBF2: Reboot Boogaloo! just because it made us laugh (see this Urban Dictionary explanation: http://electric-boogaloo.urbanup.com/3114360). Feel free to join in! :flowerforyou:

My feet seem to be doing pretty well after yesterday's run, so I think I'm going to push my luck and try some intervals on the treadmill tonight. And - drumroll please - I think I am finally moving on to week 6 in the pushup program. Part of me wants to stick at level 3 in week 5 for another week, but I managed to crank out over 50 pushups in my final set on Saturday, so I really have no excuse. It's gonna be tough, though.

I look forward to hearing about the Vibrams, Mary. I understand what you mean about dessert-seeking - that's the point that I try to avoid, too. Have fun at your private lesson. V, I'll check out the insoles you mention. The orthotics were expensive, but I've been using the same ones for probably 8 years now, so in the long run it was a good deal. Oh, and 1.5hrs of boxing on a light day? You're hard core. :wink:

I hope MM feels like stopping back in soon - though I understand needing to take a break. Bobbie, how was your trip? Niccole, are you out there? :smile:

New week, boogaloo!
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good morning! My trip was fabulous! My husband and I had so much fun. I even got in a couple of mornings of exercise. Now that I am back, it is back at it! I think I am caught up on my sleep now, so back to the gym for spin in the morning. I check in ith Jenny Craig today.

Goals: exercise, drink more water, back on the eating plan.

Good to be back. The hotel had wi-fi, but it wasn't free, so I didn't log on. I will catch up on your posts today.

:heart:
    Bobbie
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Well, last night marks a milestone for me.

It was the first time I've ever looked around at an exercise class and thought "these amateurs are holding me back!" Then, I stepped back and told myself not to judge, that a few years ago I would have been one of those "amateurs" and everybody has to start somewhere. But, it's weird when you think you're going to break your partner if you hit the pads too hard. I tried to concentrate on speed instead. I keep hoping (selfishly) for one of two things: that he'll break up a married couple and partner me up with a dude, or that we'll have an odd number of people so that the instructor needs to be my partner. I like to be pushed. He demo'ed something with me for about twenty seconds last night and I wanted to keep going so, so bad. He was doing this thing where I had to throw a combo, then he would move around and I would chase him and then I would throw the combo again. I was longing for a class in which I was the amateur instead of the semi-sort-of-kind-of-good-comparatively person. I cannot believe how much I love boxing. (at least the non-combat-nobody-hits-you-in-the-face training for it) I also cannot believe how jelly my arms are today.:laugh:

Back in olden olden times (late 80s/early 90s when I was an "athlete"), my karate instructor would always find the most macho (jerky) dude and partner me with him. He used to tell me that it was so that "he would know that even a little girl could kick his a--" unless he worked on "his technique and strength instead of his attitude" Ah, memories.

Anyways, today is zumba in the morning and yoga (non-competitive, non-judgemental...I need to work on these things!) in the evening.

Releasing judgement boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Bobbie - glad you had a good time.

I was thinking something along the same lines last night, V. The second hardest thing in yoga is doing a pose that you think you cannot, the hardest thing is to not do a pose you know you can.

The private lesson went well. I have another one next week. We are working towards drop backs (going into backbend from headstand, handstand, or standing. The challenge is to do them slowly. Right now I'm just falling backwards.

I love the shoes! I walked 25 minutes in them yesterday. I felt like they made me walk evenly on my feet (I could feel the base of the big toe pressing down, and I normally walk on the outsides of my feet). Also, I could feel my arches working. I think I'm going to get another pair. From a yoga stand point, they also evenly spread the toes.

Drop back, boogaloo!

Almost forgot - today is hard yoga and more walking in funky shoes.
  • Bobbie145
    Bobbie145 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Didn't do too much damage in Vegas. :smile: Made it to spin class this morning.

Today: drink more water, watch calories, maybe do an exercise video after work.

Hope you all have a great day!

:heart:
    Bobbie
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Had a hard day yesterday and turned to food. Bad choices were made, and I am frankly disappointed in myself.

So, today I'm just concentrating on re-booting. I have a boxing session with my trainer, so I get to hit someone I'm not afraid of breaking. :laugh: (well the pads, not actually her)

Also, in related bummer news, my gym unceremoniously took the "coming soon" Zumba class off the schedule. Grr. As of yet, they haven't put anything in its place. So, for now, my double workout day is Tuesday only. I feel like I've been pushing myself overall pretty hard with "just" one workout a day six days a week, so maybe it's the universe telling me to stand down. I was disappointed anyways.

In more positive news, I sort of got up into full wheel last night at yoga. The teacher did some sort of trick where I held her ankles to get a taste of what the extension feels like. So, that was cool.

goals today: good food choices, staying within calories and forgiving myself for the slip-up yesterday evening.

Re-boot boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Great, V! A trick to get into wheel/backbend - use your legs, not your arms. I wish I had a video to show you, but here's how to do it (other than grabbing someone's ankles or using blocks): come up into a low bridge, push your butt towards your knees, continue to push in the direction of your knees while pressing down strongly with your heals, place the hands slightly wider than usually directed, as you press up, think of your butt going over your ankles - this keeps the heavy end over the feet and uses the hamstrings to that end up, then the arms only have to lift the top end.

Today - more walking in new shoes - love them. Ordered some more today as well as a pair of socks to wear with them - also yoga tonight.

Site was down this morning, so I need to get busy now.

Backbend, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    OK, I officially want a pair of vibrams now. How sturdy does the sole feel?
    I would be walking on either city streets (eww. . .) or the nature trail when winter is finally over.

Alternately, do you think they'd be OK on the elliptical?

I've been wearing more flat footed, less boxy shoes, and I feel like my feet feel better. When I was a child, I never, ever wore shoes. (well, at least only in public) I roamed all over creation barefoot. It's a wonder I didn't die of ringworm or lockjaw. :laugh:

There is another brand (I can't remember now) that looks more "shoelike", but is still considered minimal. So, those might be less of a conversation piece, if you catch my meaning. I'd like to not have them questioned all the time.
  • cp005e
    Options
    Welcome back, Bobbie! Sorry you had a rough day, V. And that's awesome about your shoes, Mary. I'm jealous of you barefoot people. I wore mostly Converse All-Stars, which have no support, for years before I started having problems. I have been going barefoot in dance class lately, though, and mostly my feet have been okay with it. So that's some progress.

Let's see, haven't checked in for a couple of days. It feels like it's been a very long week already. I did intervals on the treadmill on Monday, which was tough. And I noticed a blister under my toenail. :frown: I had one just like it one my other foot, and that toenail is very close to falling off - so I went ahead and drained this one last night with the hope that it won't also fall off (though it probably will). Yesterday was dance class, which was good. And I made it through day 1 of week 6 pushups, on level 2! That was tough, too. And today I decided to give my toes a break, so I did a yoga DVD at home.

Halfway to the weekend, boogaloo!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    Hey my friends.
    I figured I am overdue for a check in. Honestly I don't have much weight/exercise wise to report. I'm finding it strange that I am not working out and I've been eating a lot and yet I weigh the same that I did right before we left on our trip. :huh: I'm not complaining. I just don't get it. Also AF never came, so next month might be a bear. No bun in the oven either.
    Alex has had a chest cough and a bit of a bloody nose the last few days. I don't feel so great myself but I'm not sick yet, so maybe it will stay away. The carpet in the dining room stinks to high heaven again. It's not the cat. It's the carpet from getting wet a few months ago. I steam cleaned and that didn't help. Today I'm going to try baking soda. If that doesn't help I am going to pull up a corner of the carpet to make sure it's not from the cat box. If it appears to be more than a cat box problem then I will somehow try to get the landlord to fix it.
    I sound really happy don't I? :laugh:
    On the bright side we have 2 inches of snow on the ground and 100% chance today and 80% into the night! It's beautiful. I was surprised at my reaction to it because I just saw a bunch of snow in Russia a few weeks ago, but it wasn't fresh and it wasn't falling like it is here. It's really coming down right now. :)
    I think I am struggling with depression, like a let down after something really excited has happened (though it's not over but we are in a lull right now). Also I am burned out on DVD's. I am praying for a treadmill. I'd like to start running.
    Today's goals:
    try to get the carpet smelling better (In laws coming on Sunday and MIL can't stand any kind of smell)
    take care of Alex
    get some sort of action going
    watch the snow and later (when DH gets home) go play in it
    That's it! I've been reading your posts throughout the week. I'll be back again soon.
    MM
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Enjoy the snow, MM. We're not getting any, though I'm not complaining. Looks like Dallas is going to get a lot!

I know the shoes are a conversation piece, but that does bother me much - it's a way to meet people. There are two things that bother me about the shoes: I can't wear them out because of the cold and I don't have socks for them, and they are so desirable right now that I'm worried about wearing them to gym yoga because they might walk off. I haven't worn them outside yet, but they held up on the treadmill just fine - I think you could wear them anywhere. I will be trying them in lots of places. Rock climbing comes to mind (inside with an auto belay).
    CP - if you get a chance to read "Born to Run" - let me know what you think. People wore Converse shoes for years with fewer problems than they have now.

Anyway, we had an eventful day yesterday. It started with a major cat fight the night before. Two young kitties trapping Janis kitty while she tried to use the litterbox. The fur was flying, and we got them separated. We took kitty in to get his thyroid checked, then next day. He's not the best behaved kitty at the vet, so we had to fast him overnight as well. Well before he got his gas, the vet heard what she thought was a cat fight in the kennel area. It was our Iggy having a seizure. We are now running all kinds of tests to find out what is going on. Before I take him in again, I want a sedative - at least for him.

It was nice to go to yoga yesterday.

Today - walk and maybe gym later - if not, I'll go on Friday afternoon.

Fur flying, boogaloo.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Poor kitties, Mary (and poor you) they are living up to their wild-child rock and roll names, huh? I once had a pair of shoes walk off on their own at my old gym. Now I always bring them in (at the gym, not at Bikram) and put them in a corner. There's a guy (I think he's a prof at my university) that I see going completely barefoot whenever there's no snow. On the subway, on the bus, outside. I always want to ask him about it, but never have. (and here I am worried about shoe judgement).

MM, so good to see you. How come everyone has more snow than me this winter? Ah well, it goes in cycles and next year I'll probably be up to my eyeballs.

CP, I live in my Chuck Taylors. I put in little insole dudes and traipse all over. I'm currently looking for a purple pair. Also, I've discovered Pumas lately. They feel like little gloves for your feet. Are we foot obsessed?

Ah yes, today is a light day, with an evening spin class and a lesson to teach. I also need to plan food for the next few days, so that I'm not tempted by take out. My trainer urged me to take another day off (so two) each week. I find I'm very resistant to this idea. I figure I'm mixing up my workouts enough that I don't need it, and find I need my fix daily. I had to fight the urge to go to spin last night, after a brutal training session in the afternoon. I may have a problem, I'm not sure. Opinions?

Slightly obsessed boogaloo!:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Go to the gym when you feel like going but don't force it when you don't (case of the "don't wannas" doesn't count).

Iggy, though he is more like Iggy Pop, was named in honor of Iyengar because of his hypermobility. The other name we thought of was Smeagol from Lord of the Rings - and not because he was precious.

Oooh, take the yoga quiz: http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/quizzes_and_tools/stylequiz/
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I got jivamukti. But, a lot of the questions were sort of hard, there were two answers that seemed appropriate for me. Except for the one that was along the lines of "what could your teacher do to send you running to the hills?" where "15 minutes of partner poses" was a possibility. It's something I'm working on, but I have real issues touching strangers. I'm fine if the teacher touches me, in fact I like it (my body is smarter than my brain for adjustments), but people I don't know. . .it's just emotionally hard for me.

Like I say, I'm working on it. I've considered trying a Moksha studio in town, but I think it's just Bikram without the copyright. I like the physically demanding (everything literally wrung out on the mat) aspect of Bikram, the heat (I've turned into a weirdo) and I like the sameness of it because I can turn my brain off and progress is evident. I love the gym yoga class I've been going to, but I don't feel "worked out" by it, although I feel better when I leave then when I arrive.

The search continues. . .
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Morning, pebbs. . .

Today is teaching. They have a major assignment due, so happy excuse day! I become more jaded as time progresses. I still love my students, don't get me wrong. . .but it is secretly hilarious to me when they think they are fooling me. I really respect the ones who just say "I procrastinated and didn't finish on time. I'll get it to you as soon as I can."

Today was a scheduled day off, but it's entirely possible I'll end up doing a light session on the elliptical. I may need some decompression. (teaching is both stressful and high energy, so I'm always pretty wired up when I get home).

Other than that, I'm trying to stay hydrated, meet my calorie target (I've been going under, some days by a lot, lately. . .so I'm trying to get a few more calorie dense foods in during the day) and not turn to food to calm myself down. I've been getting overstimulated and stressed out pretty easily lately, which is probably partially due to the lack of ice cream and chocolate.

Positive coping skills boogaloo.:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    Options
    Good morning, pebbles. Today is my last day at work for a week or so. Trying to stay calm about the reason, and also think of something nice to do for Valentine's day. I did my pushups last night after Zumba, and don't currently have anything else planned other than more pushups tomorrow. I am a little bummed that I didn't get more running in this week, but I guess I knew I'd have to work up to it. Maybe I will try for a long run on Sunday.

I don't know that I can blame my original foot problems on not enough barefoot-like walking. I think my arches just aren't very flexible. And the orthotics absolutely relieved my pain. But it's very possible that my feet are weaker now because of them. Maybe I will see if I can pick up Born To Run at the library before I leave for Cleveland.

I think it's obsession only if there's an emotional or addictive component to it. Like if you feel compelled to work out, emotionally, even if your body doesn't feel like it or there aren't rational reasons for it. But as long as you're not overtraining and tearing yourself down (which it doesn't sound like you are), it sounds like you are doing great. Especially if going most days helps you to feel good about yourself and combat the "don't-wannas".

Hoping it's not another bloody Friday... :ohwell:

Enjoy the snow, MM!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Positive thoughts, CP!

Jivamukti was developed in New York by a couple. Never taken that type of class. I read somewhere that all their teachers have to be vegan.

Tried the shoes at the gym. The elliptical worked great. The argh trainer was more difficult. Your feet slide forward on that machine, so my big toe was crammed a little. I might try a different elliptical today (yesterday was the Life Fitness, today would be Precor). Oh, one thing I saw people complaining about with the shoes - if your second toe is longer than your big toe, they won't work for you. There was a post yesterday about them too. I now hold my tongue (fingers?), when I disagree with someone on this site. It's good for me to restrain myself - occasionally. :wink:

Teaching headstand today. We are watching the opening ceremonies tonight - with crepes. I'm rooting for Canada.

Olympics, boogaloo!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Positive thoughts, CP!

Jivamukti was developed in New York by a couple. Never taken that type of class. I read somewhere that all their teachers have to be vegan.

Olympics, boogaloo!

Therefore, I can never teach Jivamukti. Interesting.

Oh, CP. . .I hope all is well. More positive thoughts for you.

Go, Canada, Go! (this is on the bus signs right now)
    Olympic Boogaloo.