Crockpot paranoia?

Options
13»

Replies

• perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Pray and ask God to protect your house and dog from any fires breaking out - and trust me he will.

You know God personally? I'm all about praying, but I'd never tell someone that God will answer their prayers.

OP- I'm sure your home will be fine. The worst you may have is overcooked food.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Pray and ask God to protect your house and dog from any fires breaking out - and trust me he will.

You know God personally? I'm all about praying, but I'd never tell someone that God will answer their prayers.

OP- I'm sure your home will be fine. The worst you may have is overcooked food.

Thank you for pointing it out.......My eye was twitching over here.......

OP, your crockpot is safe. Science for the win!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't use crockpots. They freak me out. And I'm away from my house for thirteen hours a day. Leaving a crockpot on that long would leave me on the floor in a full out anxiety attack! haha!

So I feel your pain OP but I'm sure it'll be okay if it's only a few hours?
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I can only use mine if we are home, and the same with the dryer & the oven.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Wasn't a crockpot responsible for starting the Great Chicago Fire?
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Yes, but that's because cows are notoriously bad cooks.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Nothing is guaranteed,yes there are safety devices in appliances - but there can be errors. I never had a crockpot give me danger, other than the one I set on fire myself [see above] and I've been using them on and off for30 years.

But I had a waffle maker - literally catch fire - if I hadn't been a few feet away I would have had bad damage, it was new, no frayed cord, UL and CSA approved with a thermostat, and safety cutouts. However the CSA investigation found a manufacturing defect that bypassed the safety circuits and it had turned on at full power permanently.
  • Tracy2750
    Options

OMG!!!! LMAO!! Thank you! I'm sitting herew at work and I SO needed this!!!!
    I adore my crock pot, use it and leave it unattended all the time - it probably has separation anxiety and would like therapy but it's not getting it.
    How did everything turn out?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I need to use my crockpot more often!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I need to start using my crockpot
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

They need to learn to order takeout. Why is no one trying to teach them to use phones so we can avoid these disasters? :angry:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

They need to learn to order takeout. Why is no one trying to teach them to use phones so we can avoid these disasters? :angry:

Well, I don't know how they would dial. So...... cow gives order to dog. Run, Lassie, Run, to the house and tell the cat. Cat has Panda Palace on speed dial. "Meow, meow, meow, meow, meooooowwwww". "10 meenut, okay"
    Udderly BRILLIANT!
  • framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Five hours on high isn't too long. You should be fine. If this is a frequent worry, consider investing in a programmable crockpot. They will automatically switch over to "Warm" at the end of the cooking cycle. This keeps your chicken breasts from drying out AND saves your sanity when it comes to "Ohnoismyhouseburningdownasitypethis" panic.