Peanut Butter

Options
What's so good about it? I see a lot of people eat it on here and recommend it. I tracked some on my planner today but can't see that it's packed with anything special i.e. protein, calcium, vitamins etc but nor is it particularly high in anything bad. Is that the good thing about it?

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It tastes nice.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    High in fat and calories but, good for protein!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i switched up to almond butter, not as much sugar and tastes a little better(i think)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The fat in peanut butter is not a bad thing. You need fat. Peanut butter is a great source of fat and protein, and whilst it's an acquired taste (not everyone like it), it's very much like marmite. You either love it or hate it. Personally? Can't get enough of the stuff. It is calorie dense, but it's good calories, and I find it very filling due to the stodgy nature of the product. I only use the 100% peanut type though. Nothing added. Means I have to mix it in the tub every time I open it because the oil separates, but it's delicious and only takes 10 seconds to mix.
  • shella_bella
    Options
    Interested to read what people have to say about this. I recently had an argument with somebody about how peanut butter is soooo bad for you and how putting peanut butter in my protein shakes is like "deep frying my vegetables"...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Interested to read what people have to say about this. I recently had an argument with somebody about how peanut butter is soooo bad for you and how putting peanut butter in my protein shakes is like "deep frying my vegetables"...
    Did that person happen to think that fats are the root of all evil?
  • Jordy1983
    Jordy1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The fat in peanut butter is not a bad thing. You need fat. Peanut butter is a great source of fat and protein, and whilst it's an acquired taste (not everyone like it), it's very much like marmite. You either love it or hate it. Personally? Can't get enough of the stuff. It is calorie dense, but it's good calories, and I find it very filling due to the stodgy nature of the product. I only use the 100% peanut type though. Nothing added. Means I have to mix it in the tub every time I open it because the oil separates, but it's delicious and only takes 10 seconds to mix.

I'm using "Whole Earth - Crunchy Organic Peanut Butter" with no added sugar. The general consensus seems to be a source for protein so I guess it's just a case of preference over other protein sources.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    high in "good fats" i eat it every day of my life . atleast 1tbs i see peanut butter as a fat not a protein
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i switched up to almond butter, not as much sugar and tastes a little better(i think)
    i do both
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I use natural pb...without all the added sugar and crap....gives me the little extra protein. I am sure I could just do a handful of nuts but those wouldn't stay on my apple very well now would they.

Oh and never question PB....it just isn't right.:wink:
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It is delicious. Fat is very satisfying.
  • chanellenoble
    chanellenoble Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with a dietician and she recommended I have a big tablespoon on my toast every breakfast time. I also eat almonds through out the day. I think that eating healthy fats are important, it makes your hair and skin glow. And it's a yummy way to kick start your day with a protein hit. Of course don't buy the sugary brands, any kind of food that adds refined sugar isn't so good for you.
  • Jordy1983
    Jordy1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. While i don't think it will benefit me as much as others, it does taste good and doesn't really affect my goals for the day.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    its not that magical ^^ good for getting fats in and extra calories, and also a lot of people love the taste. but by no means is it a super food and it should really be taken in small quantities do to the high cals
  • Infauna
    Options
    It tastes good, it's an easy way to boost calories and get more fats in your diet.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The sweetened peanut spread (aka fake peanut butter) is not good for you- like the traditional formulas of Skippy, Jif, etc. They are loaded with extra oils, sugars, etc.

Good ol' natural peanut butter is loaded in healthy fats. I wouldn't eat peanut butter that contains more than two ingredients: peanuts and salt.
  • JephaMooi
    JephaMooi Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER IS ONLY THE MOST AMAZING FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cmon now!
  • a_certain_shade_of_green
    Options
    i just remember how much i loooovvveeee peanut butter. so im just off to buy some (loads)
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a spoonful everyday after lunch. I savor it and it keeps the cookies away.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Good protein, good fats (inc omegas) and not altered in any way if you get the natural stuff.