Straw that broke the camel's back

Options
123457»

Replies

• Bon1022
    Options
    Sick and tired of being sick and tired;-))
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before I joined MFP - but my friends recommended it, so I signed up - and love it.

As for my initial push? I long suspected I had PCOS - facial hair, apple shape, and most upsetting of all: thinning hair. My hair was my crowning glory; my security blanket when I had a Fat Day. Now that guarantee wasn't there. And I decided - I'm losing my best feature, how about making my body a bit of a better one?

Bluntly - I can be fat and balding. Or I could just be balding.

I was 46 with crooked teeth and fat....I decided I couldn't do anything about heading toward 50 but I sure as hell could get there with straight teeth and less fat! So I did invisalign braces and started working out with DH regularly. Did some yoyoing with weight but after growing out of my jeans again i finally got serious and found MFP ( or the Cult, as DH calls it). I love this site!!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I knew I was overweight, knew my kids were worried about me, saw the ugly fat pictures - nothing made me do anything. Then just after last Christmas 2011 I hit 98 kgs. I thought I am NOT going into triple figures - so for me it was the numbers.

Now when I look back I don't think I really realised HOW fat I was.

Nearly where I want to be - and I see "me" in the mirror now, I had changed so much I didn't look like me any more. It has not been difficult, most of my weight went in the first 5 months or so. I feel really evangelistic about MFP - I see fat people and I want to sneak up and whisper Myfitnesspal in their ears - I don't, we all hate being fat, but it has to be a decision that we make for ourselves.

Well done on weight losses and commitment to yourselves everyone :smile:
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My other half told me I was unattractive - it broke my heart

To the poster above, if my other half Hubby told me I was unattractive he would not be my other half for long! How cruel I am so sorry you were hurt in this way.

Ditto. Is he still your other half, OP?
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My parents have weight related issues (diabetes, blood pressure, knee replacement) and I know that I am heading down the same path if I don't take control now. My youngest son told me I was fat. He wasn't being mean just honest. When I am their age I want to spend money on travel and fun not on prescriptions.
  • DaniellaFitton
    DaniellaFitton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just want to feel happy with my body for once in my life. Fed up of being the biggest out of all my friends.
    Reached up to 12 stone in september and a size 16-18, my goal is 9 and a half or a size 10.
    I need to change my mentality from 'living to eat' to 'eat to live'. Fingers crossed i can make it.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I looked down and my stomach didn't allow me to see my pee pee. That was a game changer
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had 2 things:
    1. A little over a year ago my daughter's babysitter got a personal trainer at $200/month (about what I give her each month to care for my child!!) and she was losing like crazy so I thought if she can lose weight so can I.
    2. My husband and I had a fight in which one of the MANY topics we discussed he told me that he was disappointed in me because I complained about my weight and did nothing about it. He did say that he thought I was beautiful, but that I did nothing hurt him.
  • lildaug
    lildaug Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Getting engaged...I've spent the last 8 years making excuses for myself. I am generally a pretty active person - I love to walk, hike, run and go to the gym but I also love food. Two months ago I was at my highest weight ever 198 lbs. I told myself that if I can't get healthy now I'm never going to do it. I'm getting married next October so I want to be at my goal weight by then (135 lbs). A friend told me about MFP and I'm officially addicted to it. I've been tracking my food and doing at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. I've seen great results so far - 17 lbs lost so I just need to stick with it. What usually happens about now is I start to feel good about myself then I relax a bit with eating well and exercising then I gain the weight back. That will NOT happen this time. I'm determined to be fit and healthy for my wedding day and the rest of my life.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I wasn't skinny, but I was in the best fitness of my life at the end of last year and was training to do a try-on triathlon. Then in the first week of January I had a brain tumor discovered. As these things go I have been very well taken care of and I'm glad to say I have no more tumor but the surgeries were hard and left me nearly unconscious for most of the first quarter of the year. Being able to balance, to walk, even to stay awake for more than 15 minutes was challenging. By the time I could do any of that a lot of medicine had taken its toll on my muscles. A course of steroids caused me to gain more than a pound a day. The only thing that kept me from hating my body was the gratitude I had that I had a chance at getting to use my body again. :)

It was autumn before I really began to stop eating junk food and start wanting to find healthy again. It's been an interesting journey this year. I can say I've lost all the steroid weight and started to regain some strength. I'm still not allowed to run, and I can't swim unless I have a partner in the same lane with me, but just in the past few weeks I've started thinking I might do the Atlanta half marathon again next year even if I have to walk it all again.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We went to Vegas last year and I rode the zipline on the strip. My *kitten* hung out of the harness like it should have been trussed up on its own.
  • nasreenbaby
    Options
    I have always been addicted to food. My fathers side of the family are all obese and I always just accepted that I was going to be big too but I changed my mind set and just because I have a big stature does not mean I have to be fat as well. I refuse to look like Shrek.

I suppose the last straw for me was a combination of bad photos (I used to hide behind others but now I can't anymore) and doctors telling me I have to drop the weight because I have developed asthma. All in all it is time to lose the flab. Hubby is so supportive and promised to buy me a treadmill when I reach my goal weight.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Getting too big to fit in my work trousers (a UK 14) and knowing I would have to ask my boss to order me a bigger pair, that coupled with seeing my BMI as obese tipped me over the edge.
    I had a rough couple of years and was not taking care of myself. I hit 30 and thought it was about time me and my health became my priority. At 31 I am the fittest and healthiest I have ever been!
  • BethStroble
    Options
    I wanted to be healthier for sure. But I don't like the way I look and need to make changes. A friend introduced me to this program. Having to be accountable and actually see what goes in my mouth is a huge help. I have only been doing this program a week and I have lost 4.8 lbs!!!!!!:happy:
  • MadelineTaylah
    Options
    I had bronchitis for 4 months last year and I realised that if I started eating healthier, my physical health would improve as well, once I was in a pattern of healthy eating, i shifted my goals towards weight loss and continued with eating healthy but just eating a bit less, so i decided to track my calories and then I found MFP. :)