Fighting hunger advice?

Options

Replies

• arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat the min of 1200 per day sometimes I eat 4 or 5 snacks. Apples, Clementine, red seedless grapes or baby carrots. The only time I'm hungry in-between meals is when I don't leave room for snacks. IN 3 Months I have lost 25 LBS and the only exercise I get is walking.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Everyone's actually giving you solid advice. Eat more. On a proper diet, you shouldn't be hungry throughout the day. If you find yourself hungry all the time, it means you're not eating enough to fuel your body.

Please read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/635529-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow!

Come one! even someone that eats 3000 cal per day can still be hungry...
    Not everyone is made the same. period.

Hate to tell you, we aren't all special snowflakes. When you under eat, like yourself and the OP, your body will source energy from an alternate source. If it isn't from calories, it will catabolize lean body mass. This means, he weight loss will mostly be from muscle. This is a problem due to metabolic adaptation. It will slow down, his LBM will decrease and you will provide less support for your body in terms of structure, immune system, insulin control, etc... We all gave him the answer to fixing his hunger, but neither you or he wants to accept that answer.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    eating more is not the answer. I was looking for tips on feeling full longer.

If you are on 800 cals a day, eating more is the ONLY answer.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you, we aren't all special snowflakes. When you under eat, like yourself and the OP, your body will source energy from an alternate source. If it isn't from calories, it will catabolize lean body mass. This means, he weight loss will mostly be from muscle.
    B*llocks. Why will your body catabolize lean muscle when it has a substantial reserve of fat? Provided you exercise and consume enough protein, vitamins and microelements your body will burn fat before muscle.

Everyone's needs are different. Whatever works.

I drink hot green tea with lemons when I am hungry and don't want to overeat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    smoking.

oh wait... crap. I cant do that anymore. drinking coffee and doing pushups!!!!!!!!
  • cgramberg1972
    Options
    make sure you are eating snacks between meals,have slices of cucumbers,carrots,etc. also before you eat lunch or dinner eat an apple i know it sounds weird but it helps you being hungry great luck and keep positive and focused you can and will do this
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hate to tell you, we aren't all special snowflakes. When you under eat, like yourself and the OP, your body will source energy from an alternate source. If it isn't from calories, it will catabolize lean body mass. This means, he weight loss will mostly be from muscle.
    B*llocks. Why will your body catabolize lean muscle when it has a substantial reserve of fat? Provided you exercise and consume enough protein, vitamins and microelements your body will burn fat before muscle.

Everyone's needs are different. Whatever works.

I drink hot green tea with lemons when I am hungry and don't want to overeat.

Do you think a young man can get adequate protein and nutrition from 800 calories? And do you really consider 40lbs to a goal weight having a substantial fat reserve? I can tell you I took a small sample of MFP users and whether or not they ate back exercise calories and guess what? The ones who didn't eat their exercise calories or eat 20% less than TDEE lost a lot more muscle. If this guy was morbidly obese, then I would agree with with. But I will ask you, do you track your body fat %?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Speed. Speed makes you less hungry.
  • katelion22
    katelion22 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Eating 800 calories a day is probably going to come with lots of unwanted side effects. Hair loss, bone density loss, nutritional deficiencies...

Sounds like fun.
  • ay1978pa
    Options
    Do you think a young man can get adequate protein and nutrition from 800 calories? And do you really consider 40lbs to a goal weight having a substantial fat reserve? I can tell you I took a small sample of MFP users and whether or not they ate back exercise calories and guess what? The ones who didn't eat their exercise calories or eat 20% less than TDEE lost a lot more muscle. If this guy was morbidly obese, then I would agree with with. But I will ask you, do you track your body fat %?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097
    I can get my daily protein from 8 oz of lean chicken which is 240 calories. Even if I were to double this amount it would still be under 500 cal. So yes, I believe you can get adequate protein from under 800 calories.

We don't know much about this guy. He can be 5 ft tall for all I know, in which case being 40 lbs overweight would easily put him in the obese category. The guy asked how to keep hunger at bay and got three pages of unsolicited advise along with some OMG and Look at his diary!!!

I am not here to argue that my way to eat is the only right way (as opposed to most people in this thread). Again, whatever works.

I do not track my body fat.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

I can get my daily protein from 8 oz of lean chicken which is 240 calories. Even if I were to double this amount it would still be under 500 cal. So yes, I believe you can get adequate protein from under 800 calories.

We don't know much about this guy. He can be 5 ft tall for all I know, in which case being 40 lbs overweight would easily put him in the obese category. The guy asked how to keep hunger at bay and got three pages of unsolicited advise along with some OMG and Look at his diary!!!

I am not here to argue that my way to eat is the only right way (as opposed to most people in this thread). Again, whatever works.

A 240 calorie piece of chicken will not give you enough daily protein unless that is all you are eating all day.

The body will go after lean muscle if you are not providing sufficient fuel for the body to run because if the body is not given enough it will turn to what gives it the most energy. Muscle will give the body more energy to run on than fat will. One reason why higher amounts of protein and weight lifting is recommended when losing weight in addition to enough calories so your body limits how much muscle you will lose.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Well if you want to know if you are losing muscle, then track it. And see for yourself if your program is working. And even if you are 5' tall (like my wife), 800 calories is not enough unless you have some metabolic disorder. And a man needs more calories than a woman.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    A quick look at some of the tips gave me a good laugh.

I choose not to fight hunger, at all, ever, anymore. I have only found one way to end the fight and that was to drastically change the food I eat. Sorry that I don't have an easier, less restrictive solution to offer.

Edit: I also eat FAR more calories than 800 per day. Ridiculous... of course you are hungry.
  • ay1978pa
    Options
    The body will go after lean muscle if you are not providing sufficient fuel for the body to run because if the body is not given enough it will turn to what gives it the most energy. Muscle will give the body more energy to run on than fat will. One reason why higher amounts of protein and weight lifting is recommended when losing weight in addition to enough calories so your body limits how much muscle you will lose.
    Again, b*llocks. The body will go after muscle only as the last resort. Fat provides twice the amount of energy compared to the same mass of protein. This is basic college biochemistry. Shall I go through the Krebs cycle to prove my point?

If you are on a calorie restricted diet and losing muscle you are probably putting the wrong kind of calories in.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I love the Nature Valley granola bars but peanut butter is what sticks to me best. I use the mini pretzels and 1 Tbsp of peanut butter. Plus I have a big thing of water with me all day.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Again, b*llocks. The body will go after muscle only as the last resort. Fat provides twice the amount of energy compared to the same mass of protein. This is basic college biochemistry. Shall I go through the Krebs cycle to prove my point?

If you are on a calorie restricted diet and losing muscle you are probably putting the wrong kind of calories in.

There are multiple articles and studies that say opposite. Not consuming enough protein and calories will result in muscle loss. VLCD should only be done for short periods of time under the supervision of a doctor.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I also eat.. bananas do great for me especially if I just need something to hold me over for a little bit.
  • ay1978pa
    Options
    Not consuming enough protein and calories will result in muscle loss.
    I totally agree with this. However, your previous statement that muscle gives the body more energy to run on than fat is the opposite of true.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Wow!

Come one! even someone that eats 3000 cal per day can still be hungry...
    Not everyone is made the same. period.

Hate to tell you, we aren't all special snowflakes. When you under eat, like yourself and the OP, your body will source energy from an alternate source. If it isn't from calories, it will catabolize lean body mass. This means, he weight loss will mostly be from muscle. This is a problem due to metabolic adaptation. It will slow down, his LBM will decrease and you will provide less support for your body in terms of structure, immune system, insulin control, etc... We all gave him the answer to fixing his hunger, but neither you or he wants to accept that answer.

LMAO... no seriously... stop.. my tummy hurts.