Things that make you go...Hmmmm....(outrageous calorie burn)

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always figure that it's none of my business what others do. I know that what I am doing works. If someone else doesn't like it, then tough titties.
  • SlimmingSarah2012
    Options
    I've wondered about that myself...when I go to the gym I like to make it worth my while and I bust my butt while I'm there usually doing a cardio machine of some kind. But when I log my exercise and it tells me something like a 1300 calorie burn for 100 minutes I'm thinking to myself, how accurate is that? I know I won't know until I break down and buy a HRM but until I hit a plateau I'm just going to smile and believe the exercise database is correct....after all I'm still large and in charge and it burns more calories for me to do something than it does an average size person...but I'm not eating back all my exercise calories and I'm still seeing a loss.

But, I think people hit plateaus for different reasons...but it's likely that they're calories in vs. calories out is not accurate on MFP. It happens!
  • green_nurse
    green_nurse Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    haters gonna hate! ya'll would do much better if you concentrated more on yourself! these forums are too ridiculous! i have to question why i even read this bs!
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Who really cares what other people do? If it works for them.. it's obviously not doing too much of a disservice.. if it doesn't, it certainly wont be detrimental to anyone else..

Personally, I have my lifestyle set to sedentary.. I log actual walking (my walk to and from uni, for example), not walking whilst shopping, etc.. I would not log cleaning if I hoovered the house and called it a day.. but if I spent the day scrubbing/bending over/reaching up/etc I would log in an hour or so of 'cleaning' just to acknowledge it.. Also a few weeks back I spent 4 hours making various batches of soup.. I logged an hour of 'cooking/food prep', again.. just to acknowledge it.. Also, I rarely eat those extra calories back, but if I do go over a bit at least I wont feel completely demotivated.

The point I'm making; you don't know the context of the burns people post.. so why be so judgemental?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I delete those people who log checking the mail, washing the dishes, house cleaning, ironing, playing an instrument, kneading bread....... ok I have to stop

Kneading bread is in the database? I wish I had known that last week. About ten minutes in and my forearms were on fire.

That's what I was thinking. I logged my Thanksgiving food prep as cooking. I guess if someone were to delete me for that, then I would be like, "I didn't want you anyway!" or "Take this friendship and shove it!" :laugh:

Ditto. I log it. It makes sense to log it if you're doing something for longer than usual or something completely out of the ordinary.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm not defensive. I just don't think a 1,000 calories an hour constitutes a big burn unless you weigh 100-120 lbs.It just AMAZES me every time I see a discussion about this lame subject. I will defend anyone who actually is doing the work. I have also caught people lying about their workouts.

Maybe you are missing my point which is WHO REALLY CARES OR KNOWS WHAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY DOES? We can't tell by pics hell we don't even know if it's actually THEIR PICS!!

I have no reason to be defensive. I teach 6 days a week mornings and evenings. When I post a burn I could care less what anyone else thinks. In fact I encourage anyone to come to my class and see how you feel afterwards..lol

And it wasn't being defensive
    This is so BS. Marathon runners and tour de france rider top out at UNDER 1k/hour. And they are going at an intensity you can not even laughably approach. The idea of calling them out an not being intense enough just speaks at how truly uneducated you are on this subject and how invalid your opinion is.

16cal/min is around the max effort someone can give sustained. Sure bigger guys can potentially burn more from their larger mass, but they will be slower and less intense to compensate. And will even out in the end. For short durations of say 1 hour max and trained for it, then possibly you can see some larger burns of 20cal/min+. I sure haven't seen any measured though.

Long story short, until you have proof of you in a metabolic chamber of this mythical 1k+ burn you're blathering about, I'm calling serious BS.
  • Jynus
    Options
    I delete those people who log checking the mail, washing the dishes, house cleaning, ironing, playing an instrument, kneading bread....... ok I have to stop

Kneading bread is in the database? I wish I had known that last week. About ten minutes in and my forearms were on fire.

That's what I was thinking. I logged my Thanksgiving food prep as cooking. I guess if someone were to delete me for that, then I would be like, "I didn't want you anyway!" or "Take this friendship and shove it!" :laugh:

Ditto. I log it. It makes sense to log it if you're doing something for longer than usual or something completely out of the ordinary.
    sigh, not this again.

As long as you all logged it with the understanding that 90% of that calorie burn was your BMR then I suppose go ahead. but understand that the prep work was prob like 100cal/hour tops.
  • Jynus
    Options
    HRM do not measure calories burned correctly while doing strength training, or some "cardio". They are for aerobic exercise only. Stuff like HIIT, uphill running or other high intensity cardio could easily become anaerobic and also measure incorrectly.

Very interesting, makes sense now that you mention it. So how do you workout how many calories you actually burned when you do HITT or weights? I always just go by HRM even when i do HITT and weights.
    Months of consistency in your exercise and food intake. And cross referencing weight lost with said diet and exercise. Otherwise there is no way to know. Bodybuilders do it by years of training and practice. And guesswork. There is no tool that measures it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people do. :flowerforyou:
  • Jynus
    Options
    neither do i. but if their stance is one of ignorance, we can try to educate. if it's one of delusion or ideology, then they are lost.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    neither do i. but if their stance is one of ignorance, we can try to educate. if it's one of delusion or ideology, then they are lost.

If people want to be educated, they will ask. You cannot force another to learn.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

sigh, not this again.

As long as you all logged it with the understanding that 90% of that calorie burn was your BMR then I suppose go ahead. but understand that the prep work was prob like 100cal/hour tops.

uum no it's not actually. you do what works for YOU but don't assume you know what went into the activities that people choose to log.
  • MarjayaG
    MarjayaG Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I queried the MFP burn when I first joined as it seemed high- And was told the bigger you are the more you burn. It still seems high but like many of you I don't usually eat my calories earned.
  • Jynus
    Options

sigh, not this again.

uum no it's not actually. you do what works for YOU but don't assume you know what went into the activities that people choose to log.
    your BMR is 150-180cal/hour from existing. Let me guess, did the calculator you use give a number like 200-250cal/hour for this kitchen prep work and kneading bread? Congrats, you just discovered how to disillusion yourself cause you actually only burn like 50-80cal for that hour.

I don't need to know what went into the activities, I just have an understanding of how the bodies work. And noone is that individual. Sorry, but you're not the special calorie burning snowflake you seem to think you are.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Some of my sandbag/jump rope workouts have been known to break the 1000cal/hour range. I'm cutting down on those though because all it does is raise my food intake to something I have a difficult time meeting.
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    when are they going put how much you burn playing call of duty :laugh: because I'm pretty swoll now lol
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not defensive. I just don't think a 1,000 calories an hour constitutes a big burn unless you weigh 100-120 lbs.
    This is so BS. Marathon runners and tour de france rider top out at UNDER 1k/hour. And they are going at an intensity you can not even laughably approach. The idea of calling them out an not being intense enough just speaks at how truly uneducated you are on this subject and how invalid your opinion is.

16cal/min is around the max effort someone can give sustained. Sure bigger guys can potentially burn more from their larger mass, but they will be slower and less intense to compensate. And will even out in the end. For short durations of say 1 hour max and trained for it, then possibly you can see some larger burns of 20cal/min+. I sure haven't seen any measured though.

Long story short, until you have proof of you in a metabolic chamber of this mythical 1k+ burn you're blathering about, I'm calling serious BS.

I weigh 210 pounds. I'm burning about 1000-1100 calories in an hour run. That's a little over 6 miles at around a 9:00 mile pace. Sometimes slower/faster depending on if I'm working anaerobic or just purely aerobic. I can assure you that the calorie burn is real. I'm eating around 3500 calories a day and I have to have the occasional 4000 day to keep weight on. If the burn was mythical then I'd be gaining weight.

I'm way too big to be a marathon runner. Those guys are probably 50 - 90 pounds lighter than me. I think for them a 1k per hour isn't real but it's pretty accurate for me. Just for reference I'm using a Polar HRM for the estimated calorie burn. The Runkeeper app on my phone has a similar estimate although it's a bit lower since it can't see my heart rate.

I'd be suspicious if someone under 140 pounds was getting that kind of burn but if you're over 200 like me it's totally reasonable.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Unless it has "HRM" somewhere in the post, excessive calorie burns for certain activities do make me pause. But I don't really feel the need to call them out on it. It's not something that honestly bothers me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom how anyone could be burning in excess of 20k a week, I mean, I would have thought even if possible, that it would put a serious strain on the body, and how could you begin to keep adequate nutrition going in to cover it?

Most I burn at 126Ibs is 600 calories per hour thus far, and that is going at it hard, heart rate at 85% of max, on the elliptical, interval training setting. Most I ever burnt in one workout was about 1200 calories and that was for over 2 hours of cycling.
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I generally just use the mfp exercises list... so if i go for a walk i just add it from the mfp database...