rapidly losing weight past goal weight...

Options

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    heres my weight chart. im really worried about this and i dont want to lose anymore weight... should i just stop cardio all together or cut down even more on it?
    You can do as much cardio as you want as long as you eat enough to make up for it. I'm doing 6 mile runs 3-4 days a week. I add in an extra 1200 calories and my weight loss problems are solved. I've been holding steady at 210 for a few months now. Just track your cardio calories and eat it all back. If you're losing this easy you can drop the weight no problem if you overshoot every now and then.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    #1: Don't "gradually" up your calories if you're at or below goal. Up yours to your maintenance level - more, if you're under by more than you want.

#2: Don't stop the cardio, unless you want to. Just eat back all the calories you burn off. Your heart and rest of your cardiovascular system will thank you for the work - especially if cardio is something you like.

#3: When eating back and upping your calories, make sure the vast majority of what you're eating is "good" food.

#4: 001-0919195404-Its-not-a-tumor.JPG
  • toothfairy79
    toothfairy79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    so you lost 5.4 lbs from Oct 30/12 til now..it dosen't seem too extreme..but being 101 is very very thin.. is that what you really want?
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stop cardio but you should keep increasing your calories now until you get to a point where the scale is no longer going down. Your obviously not eating enough for the energy your expending.
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE PIZZA!!

2vb6bfr.gif
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You can nail exactly how much more to eat to reach TDEE and maintain.

How much have you been eating on avg daily for last 3 weeks - X

How much have you lost over the last 3 weeks - Y

X + (Y * 3500 / 21) = TDEE

Eat that much for this level of activity, keep doing what you are doing.

just a little update
    so my TDEE is apparently 2,163.78755!

to everyone saying they wish they had this problem.. i think (personally) losing past a healthy point is just as scary as seeing gains!
  • stines72
    Options
    EAT ALL THE PIZZA!!

2vb6bfr.gif
    hahah YES! i love liz lemon
  • stines72
    Options
    Man, I wish I had that problem. I would taking your starting weight!

No kidding...100 pounds is extremely low for anyone, I don't care how tall you are, unless you are a midget.
    agreed... and im 5'3 so its not healthy or attractive in any way
    so you lost 5.4 lbs from Oct 30/12 til now..it dosen't seem too extreme..but being 101 is very very thin.. is that what you really want?
    well i said it was rapid just because usually when you get closer to your goal weight its harder to lose weight you know? it kind of freaked me out that it happened so fast considering how slow it was initially to lose the weight and no thats not what i want
  • aemoomoo
    aemoomoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this problem...

Ditto....

right?
  • stines72
    Options
    well ig uess to each their own but if you look at it this way... i weigh less than when ii had mono and i was very sick then
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    OP, try to balance food and exercise out better without completely stopping the cardio workout. Depending what your life style is, how much do you get to move around doing the day, cardio could be a must for you to keep healthy lifestyle up. Some kind of cardio activity is good in so many ways for us and necessary every day.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. STOP Cardio. Keep lifting - eat more. Don't be afraid to eat more. I hit my goal in May, and by July I was 11 pounds under because I didn't adjust...don't do what I did.

wouldn't that cause a yo-yo effect?

Eat more - healthy food of course
    maybe decrease your frequency but if you ENJOY it why stop? Plus daily physical activity is a GOOD thing
  • stines72
    Options
    OP, try to balance food and exercise out better without completely stopping the cardio workout. Depending what your life style is, how much do you get to move around doing the day, cardio could be a must for you to keep healthy lifestyle up. Some kind of cardio activity is good in so many ways for us and necessary every day.
    yes i am sedentary without cardio, which is why it will be hard mentally to stop it. i have never eaten back my exercise calories... sounds like its time to start
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't want to worry anyone but someone else mentioned a doctor's appointment and I second that. I lost a friend who waited too long to visit the doctor. He was dieting to get back to a goal weight but kept losing after he reached his goal, it turned out there was something else that caused him to keep losing. When the body does not reach the way it should given a particular calorie load and exercise program then you should consult a doctor.

That said, don't stop the cardio. Fit appearing people need cardio to in order to make sure that heart muscle keeps pumping the way it should - just increase the calories to compensate and stabilize. Plus cardio is good for brain chemistry and a healthier attitude.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with those that said to keep up with the cardio as it's good for your overall health, but increase your calorie intake quite a bit, with healthy foods of course. You said your TDEE is over 2100 calories/day so you should be eating at least that much and if you're eating way below that, you're going to keep losing.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. STOP Cardio. Keep lifting - eat more. Don't be afraid to eat more. I hit my goal in May, and by July I was 11 pounds under because I didn't adjust...don't do what I did.

maybe decrease your frequency but if you ENJOY it why stop? Plus daily physical activity is a GOOD thing

Ok, maybe not STOP the cardio (but if you are doing it because you are addicted to it and you feel that if you don't you will put on weigh, you need to back off it), but on the days you do cardio you have to eat back your calories, because if you don't you are in a calorie deficient and you WILL lose more weight. I agree that's it's healthy to be active but if you aren't willing to eat enough, you will keep losing, which why you came here asking for advice. I gave her the advice that worked for me. I didn't tell her to stop working out all together and sit on the couch and veg. I just think now the best thing for her is to keep up the lifting and eating healthy, just more. I also didn't tell her to go to McDonalds and Super Size her Big Mac meal. Quit putting words in my mouth...
  • stines72
    Options
    thanks so much for your help everyone. i love this community!
    i will continue to increase my calories and do cardio in moderation (eat back my exercise calories as well)
    and centralcalicycling - i think ill make a doctors appt regardless just to be safe :)
  • stines72
    Options

Ok, maybe not STOP the cardio (but if you are doing it because you are addicted to it and you feel that if you don't you will put on weigh, you need to back off it), but on the days you do cardio you have to eat back your calories, because if you don't you are in a calorie deficient and you WILL lose more weight. I agree that's it's healthy to be active but if you aren't willing to eat enough, you will keep losing, which why you came here asking for advice. I gave her the advice that worked for me. I didn't tell her to stop working out all together and sit on the couch and veg. I just think now the best thing for her is to keep up the lifting and eating healthy, just more. I also didn't tell her to go to McDonalds and Super Size her Big Mac meal. Quit putting words in my mouth...

yummm mcdonalds... hahaha
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Ditto to those who said they wish they had this problem... :sad:
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Cardio is a wonderful and healthy thing, and if you enjoy it, by all means continue! Lots of people run/bike/walk every day for health or enjoyment, and if that's your current motivation, keep at it! If you want to gain some weight, calculate your TDEE and eat ABOVE that by a few hundred calories, and lift some weights to put muscle on. If you just want to maintain then eat at your TDEE. Don't worry about slowly raising your calories up - just start eating TDEE as soon as possible and you'll maintain (maybe with some added water weight, but not fat)