Anxiety / Anger

Options

Replies

• frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It's important to note that some antidepressants can make anger worse. I got all worked up when I took Prozac, I wanted to punch somebody (not my normal easygoing self). I switched to Zoloft and had no problems, but everyone is different as far as side effects and the way a medicine will work for them.

Also, for lc52820, please be aware that meds can take a solid month to take full effect. You might start to feel better sooner, but some people feel worse initially. Hang in there, good luck!
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    I used to be terribly depressed, like took a razor to the bathtub once (and not to shave). I felt hopeless and like my life had no purpose. I met someone (ended up marrying him, lol) who introduced me to Jesus. I had heard people talk about Him, but he was the first person I had ever met that actually knew Him personally. Once I accepted Him and asked Him to come into my life and gave my life to Him it's been an upward spiral ever since! A lot of people know of God, but u gotta find Him yourself. Find a good church to start, and give Him what you are and see what He can do with it (it's amazing how far He's brought me, and I know He can do the same for you)
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's important to note that some antidepressants can make anger worse. I got all worked up when I took Prozac, I wanted to punch somebody (not my normal easygoing self). I switched to Zoloft and had no problems, but everyone is different as far as side effects and the way a medicine will work for them.

Also, for lc52820, please be aware that meds can take a solid month to take full effect. You might start to feel better sooner, but some people feel worse initially. Hang in there, good luck!

Thanks! Today was my first day taking it & honestly I felt really horrible earlier, but now I'm doing better. I've been told I'll probably not quite feel like myself for the first week or so as my body gets used to the meds...probably won't reap the full benefits until I've been on it for a month or so. I'm going to follow up with my doctor to let her know how it's working for me.

I was kind of apprehensive about being medicated but recently I've gotten to the point where I feel like I've tried everything & nothing has worked to help me. When my anxiety gets severe, I just want to turn off my brain & stop thinking but easier said than done! It does make it tempting to start drinking more & I do not want to go down that road.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The term "holiday tree" annoys me just as much as those who believe in this " imaginary war on Christmas."
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Wrong thread. Sorry!
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great stuff right there! Have you considered meditating. I have thought about doing it myself. I know it will take some time to get into it, and get where It will have an impact on my life. I just need to take the time to do it. I have had a rough time with meds, I have been off for six years and actually got a prescription recently, but I was so anxious about taking them, I took one, and that was it. I know that I will never be in a place where I won't struggle with depression and anxiety, even with meds. I have to make the conscious choice every day to get up and make the most I can out of my day no matter how I emotionally.
    Wil Wheaton said this:

I haven’t ever felt suicidal, but I do have Depression and Anxiety. I suffered for no good reason for decades, until I couldn’t reconcile my awesome life with feeling terrible all the time. Talking therapy wasn’t ever enough for me, and I was very resistant to medication, because I believed (and continue to believe) that we are an over-medicated culture.

But, still, I wouldn’t just sit around and suffer if I had a treatable non-mental illness, so I went to a doctor, and I got better. Now, I take some medication every morning, and it has made all the difference in my life.

I remember the first week after I started meds, Anne and I were out for a walk. I felt her hand in mine, and realized that I didn’t have any lingering tension or unhappiness just buzzing around in my skull. I was just enjoying a walk with my wife, and holding her hand.

And I began to cry, because I was so happy.

“It’s like I was in a loud room for so long, I didn’t know how loud it was,” I said, “and all I have now is the ringing in my ears.”

She squeezed my hand and I said, “I’m going to remember that ringing in my ears, so I never go back into that room again.”

That was about four years ago, and I’m happy to say that I’ve stayed out of the room. I can actually enjoy my friends, my family, and my life. I have bad days from time to time, but I know they’ll pass, and — most important of all — I may have Depression, but Depression doesn’t have me. I know that’s sort of corny, but it’s pretty accurate, too.

So, please, if you or someone you know suffer from Depression — with or without thoughts of suicide — please talk to someone, and get help from a doctor. As Jenny says, Depression lies, and you don’t need to let it control your life.

Thank you for this, I honestly loved reading it, I want so badly to get to that place, I wish I could go just 24 hours without feeling upset, down, or mad. people have been telling me for years i will get past it, or its a faze, but I'm still waiting for that. I think the worst and hardest part is... I dont know what I need, or what is fully wrong
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    I've had depression and anxiety from PTSD for over 12 years and lately I've been having the anger issues as well. After a few bad experiences with previous doctors and psychologists I am now seeing a psychologist who is taking me though exercises in mindfulness. Teaching me when to recognise when my brain is having unwanted thoughts and then acknowledging them and letting them pass in non destructive ways so then I can go back to the right kind of thinking. Some of the exercises are a bit like hypnosis/meditation and they are all very calming. EMDR is another thing he wants to take me through as well.

You don't have to suffer with this. I've suffered for way too long and now I am actually going to sort it out properly. I am not on medication but I need professional help and I am getting that from the psychologist. Whether it is therapy or medication that ultimately helps you, don't give up or shy away from them because of bad experiences.. it sometimes takes a few goes before you find the person who helps or the medication which helps.

You will be able to get to that happy place :) It is possible.
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I went through EMDR Many years ago, it was still experimental. It was amazing for me. It took me from having daily triggers and flashbacks to only struggling around my bday. (My bday being the anniversary of the experience that lead to my PTSD. I highly recommend it. But you definitely have to be ready for it.
    I've had depression and anxiety from PTSD for over 12 years and lately I've been having the anger issues as well. After a few bad experiences with previous doctors and psychologists I am now seeing a psychologist who is taking me though exercises in mindfulness. Teaching me when to recognise when my brain is having unwanted thoughts and then acknowledging them and letting them pass in non destructive ways so then I can go back to the right kind of thinking. Some of the exercises are a bit like hypnosis/meditation and they are all very calming. EMDR is another thing he wants to take me through as well.

You don't have to suffer with this. I've suffered for way too long and now I am actually going to sort it out properly. I am not on medication but I need professional help and I am getting that from the psychologist. Whether it is therapy or medication that ultimately helps you, don't give up or shy away from them because of bad experiences.. it sometimes takes a few goes before you find the person who helps or the medication which helps.

You will be able to get to that happy place :) It is possible.
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    joint-smoke.jpg
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    Ive had issues with the same thing, and my doctors have had me on all kinds of meds that helped but usualy caused another problem so I had to stop taking them. Ive found that venting to my mother, sister and sometimes my hubby really help. Or when I get really pissed off for no good reason I just lock myself in the bathroom and crank up some music until I calm down. (Yes I have a radio in my bathroom I sing in the shower :tongue: :)
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    feel the same...this is why i became really good at beating the hell up out of boxing bags and speedbags. Once i am there i feel so relaxed and it's fun (especially the speedbag as it requires concentration)
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Give diaphragmatic breathing a chance. When you have anxiety the stress hormones enter your system. They go away when you are able to calm down.

It does not seem like it at first but the breathing works and there is science to back it up.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/chronic_obstructive_pulmonary_disease_copd/hic_diaphragmatic_breathing.aspx
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Wil Wheaton said this:

I haven’t ever felt suicidal, but I do have Depression and Anxiety. I suffered for no good reason for decades, until I couldn’t reconcile my awesome life with feeling terrible all the time. Talking therapy wasn’t ever enough for me, and I was very resistant to medication, because I believed (and continue to believe) that we are an over-medicated culture.

But, still, I wouldn’t just sit around and suffer if I had a treatable non-mental illness, so I went to a doctor, and I got better. Now, I take some medication every morning, and it has made all the difference in my life.

I remember the first week after I started meds, Anne and I were out for a walk. I felt her hand in mine, and realized that I didn’t have any lingering tension or unhappiness just buzzing around in my skull. I was just enjoying a walk with my wife, and holding her hand.

“It’s like I was in a loud room for so long, I didn’t know how loud it was,” I said, “and all I have now is the ringing in my ears.”

She squeezed my hand and I said, “I’m going to remember that ringing in my ears, so I never go back into that room again.”

That was about four years ago, and I’m happy to say that I’ve stayed out of the room. I can actually enjoy my friends, my family, and my life. I have bad days from time to time, but I know they’ll pass, and — most important of all — I may have Depression, but Depression doesn’t have me. I know that’s sort of corny, but it’s pretty accurate, too.

So, please, if you or someone you know suffer from Depression — with or without thoughts of suicide — please talk to someone, and get help from a doctor. As Jenny says, Depression lies, and you don’t need to let it control your life.

Will Wheaton and Jenny Lawson are the sole reason I went to the Dr. I talked to him, I was put on anti-depressants, I did talk therapy and guess what. 2 years later I am still off my medication (my Dr. took me off them to see if I could cope and I haven't had to go back since) , I still do talk therapy , I eat a good diet, I work out and I am able to smile and laugh and not hate the entire world around me. I Do have times where I want to crawl in a hole and die still and those are the times my therapist sees me the most. I have come close to going back on my medication twice but was able to work through the dark hole on my own.

Please OP if you can go talk to your Dr. try several different medications if you need to, do the therapy if you think it will help but do not live in anger and anxiety I did it for many years of my life and I can tell you they were he hardest years I have ever had. Just because one medication didn't work doesn't mean there isn't one that wont.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Meditation might help. It's worth a shot, and sure won't hurt. There is a teacher called John Kabat Zinn who uses meditation in conjunction with anxiety issues and health problems. If you're uncomfortable because of the "woo woo" element, he approaches it from a very Western point of view.

I hope you find something that works for you. Sometimes it takes some shopping around to find the thing that works for you, and sometimes it's just time - you might need to wait it out.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I get the same way. Endorphins really can only take you so far, though. I've lived mostly my entire life being angry at everything and everyone. I think as you get older, you're perspective of the world just changes. Like if I drop something on the ground in the morning in the kitchen that I have to clean up (I am not a morning person), I will sometimes get so furious that it has a domino effect on the rest of my day. It's stupid and ridiculous, and I know it. However, when I am in a good mood and actually TRY and look at the good things, I find that good things happen to me. I do better at work and make more money when I care less about *kitten* customers. My real only current problem in life is money... Hey, isn't everyone in that boat right now? If that's my WORST problem in my life, what do I really have to be angry about? I must be doing pretty well. I have noticed time and time again, the more I make an EFFORT at being GRATEFUL for the things I do have in my life, the happier I become. I've also learned to stop taking things so damn personally. What's the point in anger? It takes too much effort to be mad and upset all the time. I'm sorry I can't offer any specifics to help you. But maybe just trying to see things from a different perspective will help.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    joint-smoke.jpg

:love:
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    I've been dealing with depression, anxiety & panic for the past 7 years ongoing. I know what you're going through.

Unfortunately, there is no little pill that will get rid of any of what you are experiencing. My doctor has put me on pretty much all of them now (and I could go into great detail of each of them but I won't).

What I've found has worked, combined with my medication (which really only help with the panic and depression):

1. Therapy. If you aren't happy with your therapist, find another. You have to find someone you are comfortable with & that you can trust.
    2. Tell your doctor what isn't working. BE FIRM. You know your body better than anyone. Too many people are too complacent with their mental illness.
    3. Watch your diet. I have a list of foods I avoid as they trigger my panic attacks.
    4. Exercise. It really does help. I hate to exercise but I've been noticing how much it has been helping me the past month now that I've been rather consistent with it.
    5. Meditation. You don't have to get all new-age on it. There are basic meditation and deep breathing exercises you can practice, just sitting on bed as soon as you get up or before you fall asleep.

I also post daily affirmations here, there and everywhere (probably much to the annoyance of my social media friends and followers).

I've also been thinking of investing in a punching bag, as I have anger issues too. So far, just working out to music and all that has been helping.

Good luck!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments. You don't have to answer this question here, but do you know if there is something that you are angry about? I went through something really horrible when I was a child, for a long time, and I was not able to do anything about it. I was not allowed to cry or get mad, or say stop, or anything. I had a lot of anger about knowing that I didn't want these things happening. I tried to do things to stop it, but I was a child and I was not mentally, emotionally, or physically able to defend myself against an adult (a parent). So, I learned to accept it and be obedient in an attempt to at least minimize the violence. For a long time it was difficult for me to feel anger about it because of how I had shut those feelings down and the fear I felt associated with the experiences and the person.

But, when something would remind me of it or when I was in a safe and supportive space in my life I would have panic attacks and outbursts of feeling out of control angry. It was all of the feelings that I had about the past feelings that I had not been able to stop what was happening and that I could not express or say, but had always wanted and needed to. So, I directed it at the wrong person.

So, for me it was not a chemical problem, I needed to let myself know that it was ok to direct the feelings to the proper place, to face those feelings and to talk it out, write it out, dance about it.

For me that really saved my life and my relationship with my husband and allowed me to be a good mother (when I eventually became a mother).

So, maybe it is chemical or something like that for you.

But, if there is something you are angry about (whatever it may be, if there is something you will know what it is), dealing with that will really help you. It was the only thing that helped me. I had to learn to deal with the anger I had about the things I needed to allow myself to be angry about. And I needed to learn the skills of how to calm myself and manage my emotions in my present life (which was really very wonderful).
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Weed.... I wish
  • mdfarrell505
    Options
    Wil Wheaton said this:

Well said and awesome! :happy: