Obese mannequin offends some...

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    yeah the head is too small, it looks bizzarre

The head obviously was not made to go with the body, however fat people do not magically have any larger heads than thin people so I get why they wouldn't make a plus-sized head o_O

Actually, me head gained fat with the rest of me. I finally got rid of my double chin, but there is still some fat there. :laugh:
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    omg too funny lol but look at it this way...."skinny mannquin" dont necessarly represent the not obese people. thse mannequins have tiny waists, big breast, great butts and perfect legs. so what would make anyone think that a "big mannequin" would properly represent bigger people. and that mannequin looks evil
  • Captainobvvious
    Captainobvvious Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't think things like this should adapt to accept the obesity epidemic.

I was pretty fat and even then I wouldn't support these mannequins... I don't really care enough to give it a second thought but this isn't healthy and it isn't the body image we should strive for and certainly shouldn't adapt our society to make it look like its anything less than unhealthy and something you should strive AGAINST.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    everything offends reddit users. but as far as manequins go, the ones that offend me are the big booty ones in mexican stores. I think they are hot, but raise unreachable goals because not everyone has an apple bottom. :)

Agreed and I'm full on puertorican... My butt is not that big nor does it pop or have a bubble shape lol.. It's such a set up for failure. -_- I love my small as* regardless ! Lol

Mine is. :grumble: It's not as fun as you think.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    "posted a photo of a big boned display model "

Sorry what? Big bones? Is that all that's wrong with fat ppl? Big bones & not extra fat? Wow then I sould be reducing my bone size all this time. What a load of crock.

This is almost like telling people it's more than ok to be obese. As a former fattie...I object & DO find it offensive. If people worked at their weight & did the right things then there would be NO NEED for a "big boned" mannequin or "big boned" clothing stores....... would there!

Big boned..... wow not fat, not obese, not unhealthy (you can NOT be fat & healthy)..... big boned.

Why can't you be fat and healthy? At my biggest, my blood pressure was normal, so was my sugar, my cholesterol (both types)and everything else that people look at to deem you "healthy." Just because my BMI was off the charts didn't mean my body was "sick." I didn't start losing weight because I was unhealthy. I just got tired of being fat.

Can you guarntee that "good health" would have lasted?

My dad is a pack a day smoker and has been for about 35 years. I don't think anyone on earth would hesitate to tell him that his bad choices are going to catch up with him one day and he'll end up with emphysema, lung cancer, COPD, or any other heart or lung related disease you can think of. I tell him that all the time. Just because he is healthy NOW doesn't mean he will avoid the problems related to his smoking forever.

The same thing goes for bad choices in lifestyle - diet and exercise. I was 28 years old and healthy....but I was fat and headed down the road of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Just because I was currently healthy doesn't mean I wasn't jeopardizing my health.
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Agreed. Big bones are not the problem, and the fact that the media is calling it "big boned" instead of overweight is really stupid.

Anyway, why are there no normal sized mannequins? Why are there mannequins shaped like 80 pounds girls, and then they immediately go to obese? Why not make a mannequin that's shaped like a 125-150 pound person? There's a commercial with models on it, and it's either anorexic-looking models, or the token obese models. The fashion world hates people of a healthy weight, apparently. (And while I realize some of the skinny models may naturally be that way, most people aren't, and the industry completely ignores the average.)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    haha that mannequin looks like a football player. I'd be more offended at that than the fact that it's a plus sized mannequin. It's just poorly made.

In fact, I'm outraged by it. I'm going to write my Congressman.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It's a marketing ploy. They aren't doing it to make you happy or to offend you. They aren't trying to push a fat-acceptance agenda on America. Some bigwig in marketing at a store thought "More obese people will buy our clothes if we show them on obese mannequins." If it works, it'll catch on and we'll see more of it, if it backfires they'll be pulled. Why debate about it? Just wait a few years and we'll know if more people like it or hate it.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well if mannequins did not snack on sawdust all day and stood around all day, staring into space, then maybe they would not be so big.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying, I am fat and have been most of my life.

Mannequins are skinny, and should be. End of story. People try to get offended these days.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think if I saw a fatequin at JCP it would make me smile and lol
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Sorry what? Big bones? Is that all that's wrong with fat ppl? Big bones & not extra fat? Wow then I sould be reducing my bone size all this time. What a load of crock.

This is almost like telling people it's more than ok to be obese. As a former fattie...I object & DO find it offensive. If people worked at their weight & did the right things then there would be NO NEED for a "big boned" mannequin or "big boned" clothing stores....... would there!

Big boned..... wow not fat, not obese, not unhealthy (you can NOT be fat & healthy)..... big boned.

I'm gonna 2nd this only because she's right... If bigger mannequins were consistently paraded around stores , I'm sure I wouldn't of even gone on a diet since that is clearly stating that society is making it acceptable... That being said after I lost e weight I donated all of my jeans and bigger clothes and now I only by what fits snug if I start exploding out of those jeans then I know I'm in trouble.. Instead of running to my old size 5/6

Most mannequins are a size 4 to 6
    That's pretty healthy considering vanity sizing nowadays

And how many people actually love being obese but use that self love as a way to combat the negative feelings?
    Really no difference between that and turning around racial slurs from negative to a postive
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Why is its head so tiny???

And also, I think it makes sense to have larger mannequins in plus-size sections and stores. There are overweight men and women in the world. It's a fact and it isn't going to change. I doubt having larger sized clothing displayed on appropriate-sized mannequins will cause people to decide it's perfectly healthy to be overweight. It will simply help them see how clothes may fit their bodies when tried on.
    If bigger mannequins were consistently paraded around stores , I'm sure I wouldn't of even gone on a diet since that is clearly stating that society is making it acceptable

You're losing weight because there are no fat mannequins? Seriously???

I think she meant that fat mannequinns will change society's ideal of the perfect figure.

Personally, full-figure stores have always had full-figure mannequinns. Granted, this one is a bit rounder than the ones at Lane Bryant, but this concept isn't unheard of. I find that no one seemed to care until attention was brought to it.

^^ yes - obviously mannequins aren't the reason I went on a diet.. Wtf?
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Why can't you be fat and healthy? At my biggest, my blood pressure was normal, so was my sugar, my cholesterol (both types)and everything else that people look at to deem you "healthy." Just because my BMI was off the charts didn't mean my body was "sick." I didn't start losing weight because I was unhealthy. I just got tired of being fat.

My dad is a pack a day smoker and has been for about 35 years. I don't think anyone on earth would hesitate to tell him that his bad choices are going to catch up with him one day and he'll end up with emphysema, lung cancer, COPD, or any other heart or lung related disease you can think of. I tell him that all the time. Just because he is healthy NOW doesn't mean he will avoid the problems related to his smoking forever.

The same thing goes for bad choices in lifestyle - diet and exercise. I was 28 years old and healthy....but I was fat and headed down the road of diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Just because I was currently healthy doesn't mean I wasn't jeopardizing my health.

Why not? My family history is the fat ones live longer without any health problems. My dad had a fatal heart attack and was never overweight a day in his life. My mom had a bout with cancer and weighs 128 pounds soaking wet. My granny died at 86 and was a little over 200 pounds. Never sick a day in her life. My grandpa died from the flu at 89. Never sick until that moment. I've never smoked, don't drink and am one of the fastest healers any doctor has ever seen. I had three kids, each by C Section and was out of work exactly 7 days, returning fully healed. I shattered my shoulder two years ago and was back at work in three weeks. I broke my elbow and was back at work fully functional in two weeks. Both of those injuries were a result of being a horse person. Neither had anything to do with being overweight!

No, I can't guarantee I would always be healthy, but society is pushing thinner. Sometimes that's not a good thing!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Why not? My family history is the fat ones live longer without any health problems. My dad had a fatal heart attack and was never overweight a day in his life. My mom had a bout with cancer and weighs 128 pounds soaking wet. My granny died at 86 and was a little over 200 pounds. Never sick a day in her life. My grandpa died from the flu at 89. Never sick until that moment. I've never smoked, don't drink and am one of the fastest healers any doctor has ever seen. I had three kids, each by C Section and was out of work exactly 7 days, returning fully healed. I shattered my shoulder two years ago and was back at work in three weeks. I broke my elbow and was back at work fully functional in two weeks. Both of those injuries were a result of being a horse person. Neither had anything to do with being overweight!

No, I can't guarantee I would always be healthy, but society is pushing thinner. Sometimes that's not a good thing!

Well, maybe you are one of the lucky ones who would have stayed healthy forever, but statistically speaking, that's not the case. There are a lot of risks to being overweight: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks.html

And losing just 10% of your body weight greatly lowers your risks: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/treatment.html

Yes, people who aren't over weight get sick all the time. But if studies and statistics show that certain behaviors put you at higher risk, why would you not want to change those behaviors? I'm not saying "thinness" is the be all and end all for health....it obviously is not. But I think fitness and moderation are big components to being healthier, longer.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Well, maybe you are one of the lucky ones who would have stayed healthy forever, but statistically speaking, that's not the case. There are a lot of risks to being overweight: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/risks.html

And losing just 10% of your body weight greatly lowers your risks: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/treatment.html

Yes, people who aren't over weight get sick all the time. But if studies and statistics show that certain behaviors put you at higher risk, why would you not want to change those behaviors? I'm not saying "thinness" is the be all and end all for health....it obviously is not. But I think fitness and moderation are big components to being healthier, longer.

I've lost 104 pounds. That's about 1/3 of my body weight!
  • maz_z
    maz_z Posts: 55
    Options
    they sell clothes that are that big, how are they suposed to display them.

i think we should be more worried about the tiny mannequins that are going around:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/gap-mannequins-always-skinny-a-bit-too-skinny/2011/08/11/gIQAwb8p8I_blog.html
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    That is an ugly mannequin. Not because it is of a fatty but because it's design is flawed and looks like a monkey made it.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    not offened by the mannequin, but seriously not a very good representaion of an over weight person....we are not all line backers with small heads :/
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    not offened by the mannequin, but seriously not a very good representaion of an over weight person....we are not all line backers with small heads :/

lol This....just like not all size 6 people are as svette as a size 6 mannequin, there is no reason they couldn't have made the mannequins more appealing....of course not all clothes are going to look right on everyone...but these mannequins are a bit of a joke...and my head isn't that small, dammit! :wink: :laugh: