Looking for new veggie ideas! please share your faves

Options
I haven't been very adventurous trying new vegetables; but most often when I try one, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy it. So please share the less common veggies that you :love: And also your ways of preparing them. Hope to expand my veggie repertoire and discover more favorites. THANKS!
My current favorite is sweet potato; first roasted in the oven; then mashed with fresh grated ginger & a touch of orange juice. Tastes like a dessert to me!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Duck fat roasted brussel sprouts with a balsamic drizzle
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas - eat them raw, dip 'em in hummus, toss them in a stir fry, oven roast with other veggies.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love any kind of squash. butternut, acorn, spaghetti....
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    1. Kale! Sauted with garlic. Toped Canellini beans and Turkey bacon bits!
    2. Chayote squash (cubed) with mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, and carrots.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is really good raw but I can't stand it cooked!

Also love red bell peppers YUM
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite sweet potato recipe:

http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-mexican-sweet-potato-skins

I also like to roast veggies - especially cherry tomatoes. Heat your oven to 400 degrees or so, toss the tomatoes with some olive oil and put on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasonings (I like garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and kosher salt). Roast for 15-20 minutes. Yum!

I also sautee spinach and mushrooms in a little bit of butter and minced garlic. Melt butter over medium heat and add mushrooms and garlic. Sautee until mushrooms are golden brown. Toss in some spinach leaves and sautee until just wilted. Enjoy!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Roasted or mashed parsnips
  • cmphelan77
    Options
    Cauliflower is my fav!! You can cut it thick and grill it like steaks, you can roast it with some mushrooms and onions, or you can even mash it like mash potatoes. So many options and so good for you!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just discovered two that I love!!!

1. Brussels sprouts! Seriously! I left them whole, tossed them in a little EVOO, salt, and pepper, and roasted them (I don't remember how long or the temp, you can google it). I put a little red wine vinegar on them when done and I loved them.

2. Spaghetti squash. Looks exactly like spaghetti, and the flavor is so good. Works great with spaghetti sauce. I love all types of squash so I figured I would like this too.

Other regulars:
    3. Steamed spinach with a little white or red wine vinegar
    4. Steamed green beans with salt and pepper
    5. mashed butternut squash (at least once a week, it's my fave)
    6. baked sweet potatoes
    7. sauteed zucchini (I like it sliced the long way, and I sautee it in a little EVOO and cajun seasoning)
    8. raw red and green peppers
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    Sweet potato fries- even my teenager will eat them

one potato per person- this recipe is for 3 potatoes-wash potatoes then let dry before peeling- peel them then slice 1/4 inch thick then cut each slice into fries- usualy 3 per slice- chunky is good

when done cutting- do not wash- they need to be dry- put in bowl or storage bag add salt pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil- mix then put on cookie sheet- no fries touching- bake at 350 for 20 minutes can turn half way thru

another is butternut squach- peel and chunk and add to a big pot of homemade soup
  • broomykm
    broomykm Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love stir fry vegetables...green beans, bell peppers of all colors, sugar snap peas, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus; a combination of any or all of the above cooked al dente with just a dash of olive oil and some fresh diced garlic. Great as a side dish, or add some boneless skinless chicken breast for a main course.

And if you like pizza and are into making your own homemade variety, veggies are great as toppings. Zucchini, carrots, spinach, etc. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Good luck to you!
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! I am now working on my grocery list; very eager to try them out!
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I recently found that I absolutely love beets. Fresh, not canned. Peel them, chop them into small chunks, spray with olive oil, and roast at 425 for 16 minutes.. they are sooo good.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I have nothing of value to add other than to say I read the topic as "Looking for new vaginas!".
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Spinach with feta cheese and sliced walnuts! hmm delicious :smile:
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Yep love sweet potato fries!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    bumping for later - yummo what I've glimpsed at so far.... For me - we eat everything (except okra - it frightens me :o)
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite sweet potato recipe:

http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-mexican-sweet-potato-skins

I also like to roast veggies - especially cherry tomatoes. Heat your oven to 400 degrees or so, toss the tomatoes with some olive oil and put on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with seasonings (I like garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and kosher salt). Roast for 15-20 minutes. Yum!

I also sautee spinach and mushrooms in a little bit of butter and minced garlic. Melt butter over medium heat and add mushrooms and garlic. Sautee until mushrooms are golden brown. Toss in some spinach leaves and sautee until just wilted. Enjoy!

Thank you!!!!!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Kale makes wonderful "chips" when baked in the oven.
    Asparagus is great if you roast it in the oven with a little olive oil and then douse it with lemon juice before eating.
    Costco sells butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed-- this makes it so easy to work with that we make soup or roast it along with potatoes and other veggies a lot more often than we would if we had to peel it.
    ETA: Fennel bulbs are awesome!
  • calimoma
    Options
    i saute yellow squash, zucchinni and fresh garlic in a litle bit of olive oil and light butter seasoned with s and p!! delish!!