Looking for new veggie ideas! please share your faves

Options

Replies

• Kathrynaline
    Options
    So I am a pastaholic. I now get the same satisfaction from spagetti squash! ITS SO GOOD. Chop in half,scoop out guts, microwave on towel for around 4 -5 min or bake in dish with water for approx an hour. Let cool slightly then hold with towel and run a fork lightly over meat and you'll be amazed! I've used it for traditional Spagetti, Garlic shrimp angel hair, Any pasta recipe! I've also added it to homemade soups.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Duck fat roasted brussel sprouts with a balsamic drizzle

Roasted brussells sprouts are like candy, no drizzle needed.

Almost any veggie roasted is wonderful, try asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, or fresh beets. Just coat in grapeseed oil, salt and pepper. (grape-seed oil has a lighter taste than olive oil and almost same nutritional value)

Roasted sweet potatoes with grape-seed oil, salt and cayenne (just a little) Can also add fresh rosemary too. mmmm

Fresh green beans, blanched and sauteed with garlic and butter. YUM
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hakurei turnips...I've only seen them at the local farms but I love them! I cut them into matchsticks and then mix them with greens, berries and a vinaigrette.

Although not uncommon, I love spinach - sauteed with a little olive oil or butter, a bit of water, minced garlic and onions and salt & pepper.

Not sure if this counts as a veggie, carb or both but butternut squash is my current seasonal fave. I peel, cube, boil til fork tender, mash and then add a little butter, salt & pepper.
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Any veggie roasted in a little bit of olive oil with some course grain kosher salt and black pepper. Delicious!
  • alanrosez
    Options
    Bump
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit "boring" in the veggie's department, because I have no problem eating the same few over and over again! I love carrots, green peppers, green beans, peas, and celery!

However, my "interesting" recipes include these...
    -Acorn Squash...add a whole one to a large pot of vegetable beef barley soup and it will thicken up your soup nicely and almost dissolve completely while leaving a nice taste as well. I can't explain the taste, it's one of those "just gotta try it" things.
    -Asparagus...sautee it in olive oil until it's nice and soft. It'll still have some crunch to it, and a wonderful taste. I usually partner it with chicken breasts and rice. Now I'm hungry for some, actually.
  • laura_lynn66
    Options
    I have nothing of value to add other than to say I read the topic as "Looking for new vaginas!".

Just go to the "chit chat" area..I'm sure you will find that topic there....
  • purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower roasted in the oven with garlic, onion flakes, and red pepper flakes.

Veggie stir fry with no oil: onions, zucchini, sweet peppers, baby bok choy, jalepeno pepper, bean sprouts, low sodium soy sauce, minced ginger, mrs. dash garlic and herb seasoning, mrs. dash southwest chpotle, the garlic box chili and lime chicken splash.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use eggplant as "lasagna" layers instead of pasta. Cut it thin, lay it out, spoon on filling. It can also be "stuffed" by preparing a stuffing and rolling a thin layer around it. Bake it and your filling around 400 F.

I stuff bell peppers with quinoa or black beans all the time.

As other people have mentioned, roasted asparagus, brussels sprouts, and broccoli are standbys.

Kale or swiss chard salads. They both also make good chips - cut into small pieces, spritz with olive oil, sprinkle on salt, and bake at 425 F until crispy.

Radishes are a surprisingly nice addition to green salads or bean salads.

Next time you go to the store, pick out a vegetable you've never used that looks interesting, buy it, and look up a way to cook it. I do that sometimes, makes for some adventures!
  • KMRose1788
    KMRose1788 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We eats lots of squash, sweet potato/yam this time of years. It just a cozy food. My fiance LOVES delicata squash because you roast it in the oven and then can eat it whole, with the skin on! It is really fun and different. I eat a spinach salad most days with whatever protein I have left over from the night before. I don't like hot greens, but roasted or in salad I think they are all fantastic.
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    this one is fruits and veggies: if you have a juicer, I highly recommend strawberry and kale juice.

I'm editing to add another favorite of mine: steamed fresh broccoli. I could eat that with every meal!
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am so excited to have so many ideas to get me through the winter, and it also gets me thinking of new things to plant in the garden come spring!
    Thanks everyone!
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Edamame boiled for about 3 to 4 minutes. Put in bowl with a touch of salt. Eat with your fingers by squeezing pods to eject the beans
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Zuchini, onion and mushrooms sauted with garlic in olive oil. Sometimes, if I can get a good tomato, I'll chop that up and throw it in at the end of cooking to warm it. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Or not.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I recently found that I absolutely love beets. Fresh, not canned. Peel them, chop them into small chunks, spray with olive oil, and roast at 425 for 16 minutes.. they are sooo good.

Yes!!! Love roasted beets!!! I also love fresh kohlrabi......I peel it and slice it or cut like french fries and eat it raw or I roast kohlrabi same as beets......or like oven baked fries.....:smile:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Edamame boiled for about 3 to 4 minutes. Put in bowl with a touch of salt. Eat with your fingers by squeezing pods to eject the beans

I love edamame. A squeeze of lime juice added to the salted beans is lovely, too.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Cook Turnip and a couple of carrots (maybe called rutabaga in the States?) .. mash together.. sweetness of the carrots keeps the turnip from tasting bitter at all .. little butter, S&P it's amazingly delish.. even kids will love it (we've called the dish "squirmit" for some strange reason since we were kids.. :embarassed: but it's a must at every Christmas feast to this day).
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Also, roasted parsnips are delicious. So sweet.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    BUMP!