How do you BAKE a Juicy Chicken Breast??

Options
Okay so I have never been much of a "cook" but I have been trying as I find trying to lose weight and preparing your own meals to be very important.

What I want to learn is how to make BAKED CHICKEN without it being super dry. I'm talking like the oven-roasted chicken breasts like they put on a Subway Sandwich...I can use that as a main meal, chop it up in a salad or put it in a wrap. My mom used a crockpot once with dijon mustard and it was really good

Any relatively EASY recipe ideals would be great! THANKS :)

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Brine it first - there are lot's of recipes but basically soak the chicken in water, a little salt & sugar for about an hour then cook how you like.

Makes 4 Honey-Brined Boneless-Skinless Chicken Breasts
    Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Total Time: 5 minutes
    Ingredients:

1 quart cold water
    1/4 cup salt
    1/4 cup honey
    4 large (8-oz) boneless-skinless chicken breasts

Preparation:
    Add the water, salt, and honey to a 4-qt container. Whisk until the salt is completely dissolved. Add the chicken breast, and place a small plate on top to assure the chicken is submerged.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but no longer than 2 hours. Remove the chicken from the brine, and pat dry with paper towels. They're now ready to cook in any recipe that calls for boneless-skinless chicken breasts.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless and from fresh not frozen? Rinse and dry first, rub with a teaspoon of olive oil, lightly salt and fresh-ground pepper. Rosemary or sage if you're feeling frisky. Uncovered in a baking dish at 400 for 35 minutes.

Should be moist and juicy and yum.
    What are you doing now?
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I mix greek yogurt with seasonings of choice and coat the chicken in that. It keeps it moist while giving a crispy crust.
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Emitremmit
    Emitremmit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I personally like to marinated mine in some kind of light Italian dressing before I bake it. The trick is to not overcook it, typically a 4 ounce chicken breast will only take about 15 mins in a 350 degree oven. If you are unsure if it is done or not your best bet is to get a probe thermometer and as soon as it is 165 degrees in the center take it out of the oven and it will be juicy in the center.
  • klridge
    Options
    I just rub some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my chicken and bake it at 350 for about half an hour or so and it comes out super juicy!!
  • mslynn1007
    Options
    Have you tried pounding the chicken out? It's the best way, makes it juicy & tender!
  • krumpli
    krumpli Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think the main trick for ANY meat being nice and juicy is to stop cooking it about three minutes before you normally would. Put it on a plate, cover it with a lid, and then let it sit for ten minutes. Don't be tempted to poke at it or cut it to check if it's done. The left-over heat will cook it to the point of preferred doneness, and it will stay nice and juicy!
  • micheeks
    micheeks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cook it in a cooking bag with all your fav seasonings along with a little water.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I always wrap mine very loosely in tin foil (so there is space inside the tin foil, but the foil is sealed) and this keeps the moisture and the chicken's own juices in and keeps it nice and moist.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Love the greek yogurt idea! You could always use a marinade that will help with keeping your chicken juicy.
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    in the oven :P
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have never been much of a "cook" but I have been trying as I find trying to lose weight and preparing your own meals to be very important.

What I want to learn is how to make BAKED CHICKEN without it being super dry. I'm talking like the oven-roasted chicken breasts like they put on a Subway Sandwich...I can use that as a main meal, chop it up in a salad or put it in a wrap. My mom used a crockpot once with dijon mustard and it was really good

Any relatively EASY recipe ideals would be great! THANKS :)
    350 for 35-40 minutes should give you a very yummy, no dry chicken breast. I also marinate before I bake.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Beat the breasts
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    brine it
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Mine never comes out dry when I bake it, or cook it on the stove either. You can cook it on the stove in a pot, REALLY low, cook for about an hour or so and it comes out SUPER juicy. It's no different than baking it, just don't cook it in anything. I just add pepper and that's it.

oh, and cover it
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I second the brine suggestion. I brine almost all of the chicken and pork that I cook. To make it even better, wrap the chicken in bacon before you bake it. :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I bought a pack of split chicken breasts with rib meat, skin-on, and roasted them last night at 350° for about 50 minutes. I brushed them first with olive oil and then seasoned them. The skin helps protect the meat and keeps it from getting too dry, and you can remove it before eating. Also, this particular type of chicken breast is usually quite a bit cheaper than the boneless skinless chicken breasts, so you can buy a big package, cook it all at once, and then have lots of leftover chicken for the week. Easy peasy. :)

Also! Get a meat thermometer. They are inexpensive, but priceless as far as making sure your meat is cooked to doneness and not over/undercooked, which is often the reason for dry chicken.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ChickenCook.htm <- cooking temperatures.
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I like to put mine in a crockpot and cover it with salsa. Serve it on a bed of rice...yumm!