Obese Only Gym?

mateo57505
mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
So I saw on the news this morning that in Dallas, a new gym is causing some controversy because it is an obese only gym (according to the news there are 3 that they are aware of). To be allowed to join you must go through an evaluation and be deeemed 50lbs overweight. I am all for everybody getting into fitness and getting in shape and I have no problem with this type of gym to each there own whatever gym or home workout works for you I'm all for it, but as I was running I just had this thought.

Living in the US were people are sued and there a lawsuites for all types of things, If somebody opened a Fit only gym that was very selective about its members and you had to be at a certain fitness level (and this may exist and I may not be aware of it, im sure they do). If it were all over the news how long would it be or does anybody think they would get sued for discrimination by somebody that was overweight or not in shape not being allowed to join.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Seems odd, but wouldn't they lose a lot of business?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    A lot of boxing and powerlifting gyms only work with fit well-trained people so they do exist.

My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    You can't do anything without offending someone these days. It's no different than them attending a bariatric seminar or being recommended for those things. And there are some classes that are held at medical facilities that are for the obese/super obese only.

I think it's a good thing. We're overweight as a nation and something needs to be done. If "being amongst your people" helps you get fit, then do it. Some people have HUGE fears about working out in a regular gym because of the scrutiny of being fat in the gym. So if this helps them get comfortable getting fit, then go for it. Also, I'd assume that these gyms have classes with instructors better informed on how to modify for those with weight problems. Which would also help with their being comfortable in the gym.
  • skittles1928
    skittles1928 Posts: 57 Member
    Seems discriminatory. I dislike that. On the other hand, a lot of skinny people at gyms can be jerks to really overweight people. My aunt (who wasn't even that overweight) had skinny young women giggling at her while she tried to work out. But then a lot of them can be nice, too.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    A lot of boxing and powerlifting gyms only work with fit well-trained people so they do exist.

My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?

That's what I was wondering? So you get kicked out of the gym when you get closer to your goal? That doesn't even make good business sense.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    That's silly.

I can understand specialized gyms (like what was mentioned for boxing or other activities) and I can see where they are coming from with this because I know a lot of obese people starting to become healthy are uncomfortable or intimidated by other gym goers. But I don't see this working long run because isn't the goal of working out to no longer be obese? So technically, if your gym was a success, you would lost customers at a fast rate beacuse they would no longer be obese...as a business model it seems fairly short term.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member

That's what I was wondering? So you get kicked out of the gym when you get closer to your goal? That doesn't even make good business sense.

Newbies get t-shirts emblazoned "before". Those who achieve goal get special "after" t-shirts.
    :bigsmile:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member

Newbies get t-shirts emblazoned "before". Those who achieve goal get special "after" t-shirts.
    :bigsmile:

tumblr_m9t2utT95c1rzz3r3o1_400.gif
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member

Exactly my thought.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    So, if you get below 50 pounds overweight (which should be the goal), do they kick you out? Hmm..interesting.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    I woudl imagine those who have reached their goals would be welcome to stay to serve as positive examples to others. Also, they would very likely be perceived as less judgemental by the obese people who use the place, as it would be understood that they have been in the same place at one time. I see it as a positive thing that could be successful.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    Seems odd, but wouldn't they lose a lot of business?

Exactly! If the gym is successful, the clients would soon not fit into the "50 pounds overweight" category. And then the gym would be unsuccessful financially.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member

That's what I was wondering too when I was at the gym of all places and this came on the TV
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    http://www.todaysthv.com/news/article/236328/288/Dallas-gym-caters-only-to-the-obese

Members who lose the weight are welcome to stay per this article.
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Some people have HUGE fears about working out in a regular gym because of the scrutiny of being fat in the gym. So if this helps them get comfortable getting fit, then go for it.

This. I have some HUGE anxiety about going to the gym for this reason. I can definitely see where the controversy is, though. Interesting. In any case, I'll be following this thread's progression.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    3648re.jpg
  • I think it's up to the owners of the gym.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    One of the reasons I go to the gym is to stare at the beautiful men...this would be no fun!