Obese Only Gym?

Replies

• The Gym is called Downsize Fitness. They have a monthly fee of $300 or a $25 day pass. The equipment is sturdier and all clients are monitored by trainers. If you do not come in for 5 days a week, you will get calls or text messages. They create a nutrition plan, cardio and weight plan tailored to each client. There are no long term commitments to contracts.

OUR MISSION

Downsize Fitness provides exercise facilities and specially trained staff for individuals who are at least 50 pounds overweight. We create and facilitate human connections that enable our members to find the courage to confront and persevere in overcoming their obesity.

OK...it was somewhere I would go until I saw that price! I could NOT afford $300/mo just to go to the gym! So it really only caters to the overweight weathly population? That is disappointing. :noway:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    I'm not sure how this obese only thing works. Can you only remain at the gym until you lose a certain amount of weight or can you remain until you reach your goal? So what happens when some of the patrons are just starting and some are halfways to thin? What happens if you lose the weight before your membership is up? Refunds?

And yes. If there was a 'fit only' gym, or a 'bodybuilders' only gym, I imagine it would go one of two routes: Nobody would care and/or everybody would freak out.

Although... there may already be gyms like that? I'm not well versed in the gym world.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    At that price, they can only allow all green people for all I care!!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    I think the idea is good. but I think it would work better if it was a part of a gym. Where it was set up for people to feel comfortable working out when they otherwise might get stares or something of that immature nature. Kind of like, the woman's only section in some gyms.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    A lot of boxing and powerlifting gyms only work with fit well-trained people so they do exist.

My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?

That was the first thing I thought of too. So what's the point if you're going to have to change gyms? Why not just pick a normal gym in the first place?
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    The Gym is called Downsize Fitness. They have a monthly fee of $300 or a $25 day pass. The equipment is sturdier and all clients are monitored by trainers. If you do not come in for 5 days a week, you will get calls or text messages. They create a nutrition plan, cardio and weight plan tailored to each client. There are no long term commitments to contracts.

For $300 a month (I'm guessing they pay month to month), having a full time personal trainer who helps one with their exercise and nutrition plans is not a lot to ask for. Given that personal trainers charge $50-$100 per session to privately train clients (less if at a franchise gym). I'm guessing that once a client reaches their target weight (or develops the tools needed to reach it on their own), the "fit" clients will quit and only those clients that need the extra attention will remain.

It'll be interesting to see if this business model succeeds.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    I thought that was the mantra of Planet Fitness, to appeal to the "regular" people and not the muscle heads. I don't have a problem with an "obese" gym. People shouldn't feel uncomfortable or discouraged because they're out of shape. Just don't have a buffet as part of the membership!
  • My only question is, "What happens if an obese person gets fit?" Do they have to leave the obese-only gym?

Exactly what I was going to say.

While it may make them more comfortable at the gym, is it fair to give them "special" treatment because they are obese and not the non-obese? To me it's kind of disappointing that they feel the need to separate them in fear of judgement by others; a world without people judging would be great... if only.

(If that's the reasoning behind it I mean)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I don't know about any of the legal ramifications, though I am sure this was thought of ahead of time.

I would LOVE it. One of the main reasons I don't go to the gym is because I am embarassed about how I look. I live in a college town, and the gym is full of young, fit college students. I don't want everyone to be staring at me. And even if they weren't, I would feel like they were. This is my problem, I know. But I suspect there are enough like minded people out there that they will do well. And having special equipment to accomodate larger people is great1
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member

Living in the US were people are sued and there a lawsuites for all types of things, If somebody opened a Fit only gym that was very selective about its members and you had to be at a certain fitness level (and this may exist and I may not be aware of it, im sure they do). If it were all over the news how long would it be or does anybody think they would get sued for discrimination by somebody that was overweight or not in shape not being allowed to join.

Any thoughts?

This isn't the same, though. For the same reason we don't have Straight Pride Parades, or celebrate White History Month. Physically fit people aren't demonized the way fat people are.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Umm Duh...Its all about marketing. Look at how many of us are talking about it?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    It's OK with me, but I see how a class lilke Silver Sneakers or Sit and Be Fit is successful. I also get that heavier people will have different needs, as will older people or pregnant ladies, but a whole gym?
  • This isn't the same, though. For the same reason we don't have Straight Pride Parades, or celebrate White History Month. Physically fit people aren't demonized the way fat people are.

I don't think you can really compare fat with 'Black' and gay acceptance.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Its a genius idea because you kick out the clients that cost you money but keep the ones that never show up
    Is this guy for real? You REALLY think people 50 pounds overweight don't work out? PLEASE! I am more than 50 pounds overweight and workout 6x a week. Today alone I did BodyPump and Zumba. You are in the wrong place with that attitude. Maybe you meant to type in "Match.com" and not "myfitnessPAL.com"!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    This isn't the same, though. For the same reason we don't have Straight Pride Parades, or celebrate White History Month. Physically fit people aren't demonized the way fat people are.

I don't think you can either. You are much more easily accepted if you are black or gay than if you are fat IMO.
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    The high price is for all the personal service that you receive. Crossfit is expensive like that because they have a ratio of about 5 people per coach. Throw in the nutritionist and I can see the validation for the fee. Believe me there are plenty of well off obese people in this area, yes I live in Dallas.

Depending on where it is located, it would be an option for me.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    I still believe a business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. That's kind of what America is about. You may be a jerk, but that's your right (unless you make a video that incites riots in the Middle East, then the first amendment no longer applies).
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Well, when I was 40 Lbs heavier, one of my driving motivations was seeing the fit people work out and thinking that I want to be that one day. I would assume it be the same for 'obese'.......... I don't think it's right only because once the reach goal they would have to leave.

But that is just my opinion.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    How is this any different than Curves?

$300 per month is a pretty hefty charge for a gym membership and is outside of the monthly budget for many people. Even more so if you consider the demographics of much of the obese population.
  • This isn't the same, though. For the same reason we don't have Straight Pride Parades, or celebrate White History Month. Physically fit people aren't demonized the way fat people are.

I don't think you can either. You are much more easily accepted if you are black or gay than if you are fat IMO.

Not what I was getting at... You can change your fat status but being black/gay is just who you are. Not comparable I believe.