Escaping the children

Options
I have three young kids (7months, 2, and 4) and I usually love that I can be their mom full time. However, there are some days when they drive me batty and I need an escape. Most often that means I eat some cookies to "get away" from it all. Not so good for losing weight. Does anyone have a suggestion for an escape hatch that isn't food related? They've just finished tossing cracker crumb confetti all over the freshly-vacuumed carpet. :grumble: I'm getting desperate.

Replies

• MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I was a stay at home mom, I found a gym that offered daycare so I can go workout for 2 hours without her!
    I also had a hourly daycare near me, and it was really cheap. So she went to "preschool" for a few hours a week... which was amazing!

I'm not sure if this would work for you....but it's a thought?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I lock myself in the bathroom and cry...............but that's just me.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I have been there and done that. If I wasent going to be late for work this morning this would of been me 100%... My daughter was screaming for 40 mins while I was trying to get us both ready to leave the house for daycare n me for work.... UGH Glad I was not staying home with her today lol
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My daycare lady keeps my daughter an extra 1.5hours so I can hit the park, put my music in and run my little heart out.....best meditation time EVER!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Stroller, walk.....go!!
    Just getting out of the house sometimes is the answer, even if you have to take them with you.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Babysitter. Have fun.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am at that point right now! It has been building all week, I am frustrated, irritated and feel like it wont ever get better. I have 6 kids and handled my first 4 fine but twins, this is a whole different story. Thank God I am going away this weekend. This is my escape. I go away at the end of the month, not anywhere far just a hotel room near a major mall. My husband and I spend the weekend in peace. Thanks to my amazing mom who loves to watch her grandchildren. If I didn't have this I think I would lose my mind.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have three young kids (7months, 2, and 4) and I usually love that I can be their mom full time. However, there are some days when they drive me batty and I need an escape. Most often that means I eat some cookies to "get away" from it all. Not so good for losing weight. Does anyone have a suggestion for an escape hatch that isn't food related? They've just finished tossing cracker crumb confetti all over the freshly-vacuumed carpet. :grumble: I'm getting desperate.

I read...I crochet...and I go to the gym. Over the summer I took the big kids (12 and 16) a few times, but I hated it. They wanted to be practically up my butt while I was trying to do my thing.

The gym I go to is the local Y. they have a free daycare thing for kids 6 weeks and up ( one room for 6 weeks to 6 years, another for 6-12 or so years). The kids can be there for up to 2 hours a day. That is when I do my cardio and strength. The cardio helps keep me from wanting to strangle someone.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time SAHM too, three boys ages 1,2, and 8. And I homeschool my eldest. Most days I love it, but sometimes I need OUT too.

Naptime is sacred time to me. The 8 year old must go to his room and read, the 2 year old lays down for a movie nap, and the 1 year old sleeps. I get a glorious hour and a half to myself.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options

Been there too. Just survived with my mantra..."itsjust a perioditwillgoovertheywillgetolderitsjustaperiodtheywillgetolder.....", then dressed them and went out of the house, yelling is more quiet in the woods or on the playground.

Well, they grew out of it and now I can leave them alone.
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Ditto. Except my bathroom door lock is broken. So I just sit in front of the door and cover my ears.
  • kclynn7
    Options
    I usually wait till the husband gets home and then I will leave the kids with him and go to the store - even grocery shopping is an escape if you don't have to drag the kids out of the house with you. And as far as the crying in the bathroom - been there, only I don't even make it to the bathroom haha. I have a 14 month old and a newborn so I definitely get your need to get a break.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Same here... I have two little ones and four cats, I NEVER get a minute to myself. I'm lucky if I can actually shut the door before someone comes barging in.
  • GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I work with kids...I have totally done this. I also blame them for my drinking problem.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Find something that you enjoy doing, and make time for yourself to go do it. Feels impossible, but where there is a will there is a way. Running is the best escape for me, ever. If you aren't into that, find a hobby you enjoy and make time to do it. For me, if i"m in the same house, there is not going to be a break. The kids want their momma :) Can't complain, however, every Mother deserves her time. I for one know that it's difficult to make yourself a priority, I don't do it near often enough.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    when my oldest ( who we now know is on the autism spectrum and has IED) was a toddler, my husband would come home and find me sitting on the back of the couch. When he asked WHY I was sitting there I would tell him that it was the only place that my toddler could not reach me...and I was all *touched out*
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    My daycare lady keeps my daughter an extra 1.5hours so I can hit the park, put my music in and run my little heart out.....best meditation time EVER!

WOW You have a great daycare provider! Back in the day mine would have yelled at me for being late or charge me extra but mostly yell at me because i would be infringing on her time to get off work!!!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options

^^ This BUT make sure to take the wine!
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have 3, they're 12, 5, and 1. The 1 yr old and 5 yr old have the SAME attention needs/wants. One or both are ALWAYS up my butt.
    I just go for a walk if it's a day i dont anticipate being able to have Me Time. The air clears my head.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    uh - im pretty sure that exercising is a good idea?