Escaping the children

Options

Replies

• hismrs021511
    Options
    I have 2 little ones. My daughter is 4 and my son is 1. I never really go anywhere. We only have one car and my husband leaves really early in the morning and comes home around dinnertime. I'm always tired. I love my children with all my heart. But every once in a while you need some mommy time and an outlet. Without a car I have been looking into hobbies that I can do at home. I been watching YouTube ( you can learn to do anything on Youtube lol). I looked at knitting, Yarn is super cheap so why not, I say. Plus they say an idle mind is the devil's playground. Or reading. A good book never gets old. :-)
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too. First tip i scheduling. Figure out the best time for them to wake up. When they get up, for 30 minutes have a show and breakfast. Then for an hour have center time. Have a few different centers of different toys and let them play with them for 20 minutes then pick up for 10 minutes before switching to the next one and repeat. Then crafting time for 30 minutes. Yes, it's possible to do that at every age. Then a small healthy snack time. Have them help you. Then a nap time.

This is your time to relax.

Then when they wake up, lunch time. Have them help or put them on a short show while they wake up.

Then go exercise together for an hour. This means walking together, dancing together, whatever they enjoy. This gets you some exercise and they burn some energy.

Then center time again!

You see what I'm driving at? Have them doing something constantly. Have them doing something so they're burning energy and do the same thing every day so they know what to expect on the most part. Put them to nap at the same time and to bed at the same time every night. And not at like 10 when you're ready for bed. Put them at bed at 7:30 or 8. Then you have an hour or two before to relax before it's time for you to go to bed.

^ sounds like a good idea. Might take time getting everyone on a schedule if they aren't already but definitely worth a shot! Good luck!
  • mmckee10
    mmckee10 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    nap time is my only salvation.. i swear i gave birth to the energizer baby.. (he's just over a year and 1/2)
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuRc8_uS7xUIQaZwHM0MWkmj3B6WC1Ee3W79gvCa2hJM-1C3u8

Not saying this is the best idea....but you wanted options

Too funny, I had to steal the pic and email it to my daughter. She is sick right now with a very spoiled 11 month old.

HAHAHA that is hilarious!! And it's also the reason that I work full-time. lol I love my kiddos, but I love being sane also.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Naptime.

Or don't have kids.

this. dont have kids so much!
  • msamcoates
    msamcoates Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Wine or vodka for me as well.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I think most parents struggle with this! I know I do.
    My sanity is obtained by establishing an early bedtime for myself. That way I do not mind rising very early (4am) to get to the gym for at least one hour.
    By that time the grocery store is open, and I can pick up a few items if needed.
    Then back at home, everyone is usually still sleeping so I can shower and enjoy breakfast before the day starts, as well as do some preparation.
    I love it that I can "have a morning."!!
    I homeschool, and don't work outside the home, so I don't have to sort-of break up the flow in my home by leaving to pick up children, or go to work, etc.
    At first I had the children in school (the first two), and I found that schedule completely cruel and anti-family IMO, as I usually was pregnant or else nursing/changing diapers, and that was hard to leave home. Also I found I couldn't participate in the children's classrooms which bummed me out.
    So anyway, staying home, and schooling at home, and finding ways to keep it clean and have peace, was the solution for me.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I pour water and dish soap on the ceramic tile floor and send the kids skidding around on it. The have to sit on towels to do this and they get to rinse it all off with water guns and then mop it up. Gets the floor nice and clean and keeps them busy for awhile. Any game that involves cleaning something is good for me.
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    Telling people who aready have children not to have so many children doesn't help. Some people have the same issues with only 1 child. Everyone's tolerance is different. And nobody has kids and knows how to have that balance of "mommy time" and children time. It takes patience and trial and error. lol.
  • TomKat428
    Options
    Uhh, y'all are really making me want to procreate...

:noway:

Right?! I've had some major baby fever lately, but this thread is terrifying me.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Right?! I've had some major baby fever lately, but this thread is terrifying me.
    Right! lol Parenting takes wisdom, knowledge. good character, and lots of patience and LOVE. Just like how we all want to be treated:) I have a lot of respect for other parents. And I know that until you actually have your own, it's not really possible to explain just what it is like. It's equally precious as it is hard, though.
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all. Sometimes it just takes a little venting and a few deep breaths to get the patience back. And to those who have been scared of having kids from the thread...don't be. They add an extra, wonderful dimension (despite the dementia) to life.
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    One of the best parts of being a parent is eating ice cream after the kids go to bed!! BWAHHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!

It's so funny, my daughter asked the other day "mommy, is it true that you eat a spoonful of nutella every night after we go to bed?"

Yes, yes it is. :wink:
  • MinMin97
    Options

It's so funny, my daughter asked the other day "mommy, is it true that you eat a spoonful of nutella every night after we go to bed?"

HOW do they find these things out?????LOL!!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options

well, in this case, the nanny ratted me out. :ohwell:
  • GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Take a hot bath.....
    I tried this and my kid busted in hopped in the tub and started washing me like I was the family dog!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Turn on some fun music and you and the kids dance around. You will burn calories, they will burn energy. You will also get a nice seratonin release that will help make you feel better.

We do this sometimes! My son spins round and rouns and round without getting dizzy and falling over!

I keep my sanity by going to work part time lol. Only I'm a teacher and I teach teenagers, but a class of 30 13 year olds is sometimes easier to deal with than a 3.5 year old and an 18 month old :smile:

I fit my gym sessions and classes round my husband's shifts and occasionally use the crèche at the gym. I also go to the gym straight after work before picking the kids up from nursery.

On my days off I always take the kids out - walks, scooter, park, soft play, gymnastics academy......

The other day I was so fed up I escaped to the bath with a glass of wine and my Kindle and left my husband in charge :laugh:
  • starjewel16
    starjewel16 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    how is it helpful to tell people who already have kids "don't have kids"? You can't exactly return them to the store...

I would say, eat the cookies but make sure and take a walk later, or whatever exercise you can fit in. I've only got one but he's really high needs and my husband is military, so it's been tough. Locking myself in the bathroom isn't exactly an option, and we have to share a bedroom in my parents' basement. It's been tough. Just remember this too shall pass...and try to get someone to watch the kids for a little while so you can have some free time, even if it's only to go grocery shopping.
  • MinMin97
    Options

well, in this case, the nanny ratted me out. :ohwell:
    Oops! Well, honesty is the best policy lol...
    They are worth it:laugh:
  • cindygagnon
    cindygagnon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My two kids are autistic (6 and 7 ) and when they explode i just grab my ipod and cool down with the music ;)