Just want to be Pretty!

Options
124»

Replies

• Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    It's not at all "shallow" to pay attention to your looks. Of course you should want to look as natural as possible, but all of the fabulous looking actresses and models wear a ton of make-up. Most of them are very plain looking without their make-up and hair stylists.

As the others have said, study magazines and Pinterest. Go to You-Tube. Study the make-up ads of the "looks" you like. Try to really look at the girls features and how they apply their eye-liner, mascara, blush, cheek contouring and so forth. If you live in an area that has a Department store like Macy's or Saks, spend some time walking around the cosmetic area. Not during the Holidays, as they are probably too busy, but after Jan 10th or so. Most of the people working at the big cosmetic counters don't actually work for the Store. They work for the cosmetic companies. If you see an attractive gal with coloring like yours, just ask her what she has on her lips or eyes, etc. She will usually be happy to share the information with you.

Of course the gals and guys at the cosmetic counters want to sell you make-up, but many of them are happy to share tips and suggestions with the hope that you will return and become a good customer.

Like many things worth learning, applying make-up takes practice. A little product usually goes a long way.

Get into it! It's fun and a "healthy" escape. Practice and love it!
  • kristenstejskal
    kristenstejskal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Girl there is nothing shallow about wanting to present your best self to the world. Shallow is ONLY caring about your outside appearance. Everyday my goal is for my outside and inside to match...and to have them both be beautiful!

Try to find a routine that you ENJOY. If you make it too tedious/boring/over-the-top, not only will you hate it, but you probably not stick with it. Every morning I sit by my window with my vanity mirror and my cup of coffee and laptop listening to music while I do hair and make up. I use it as a time of relaxation and preparation for the day. Its my "me time" and I really do enjoy my routine.

Also, make sure you stay true to you! If you aren't super girly girl by nature, then make sure your routine isnt too over the top. I loveeee make-up and I love learning about contouring methods or lip plumpers, blah blah ,but if that's not your thang, then find a routine that suits YOUR personality and uniqueness! There's plenty of simple things that can make a huge difference!
    For makeup and hair:
    -Keep your eyebrows done. Your eyebrows shape your whole face! But don't overpluck.. DAT can be a tragedy ha!
    -Curl your eyelashes and wear two coats of mascara
    -conceal blemishes and undereye circles (makes your face look brighter)
    -find a lip and cheek stain that you like (you can use the same product on your lips and cheeks for color! brilliantly simple!)
    -invest in a face illuminator (victoria's secret has a great one). they genuinely make your face look fresh and radiant
    -find drug store brands of makeup that you like (of course I love MAC, but I swear some of the E.L.F products are just as amazing and only $1-5!! at target)
    -Whiten your teeth once a year. I use crest whitestrips. Its amazing how a bright smile makes your whole face light up!
    -if you're not into doing your nails, just keep a clear coat on
    -invest in a good shampoo and conditioner and serum (I'm a huge morocconoil lover). good shampoo and conditioner are way under-rated. They will make your hair shinier, healthier and more manageable.
    -blow dry your hair upside down at the roots, it will give it volume...aka instant sexy!
    -On days when I don't work out, I either don't shower or shower but don't wash my hair. I just use a dry shampoo to refresh my hair (I use suave, super cheap!)
    -invest in cute headbands for days when you cant stand to have your hair in your face
    -learn how to do cute "messy bun"- so awesome for dirty hair days or right after the gym
    -like everyone else has said, if you want to get MORE into the makeup/beauty routine, pinterest and youtube are GOLD. but make it fun for you!!

Let me know if you need anything, I'm definitely here for support! :)
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I guess for me I always felt as a big girl I had to take more pride in my appearance so I didn't look like a slob. Fixing my hair, putting on some makeup, having extra good hygiene, wearing cute clothes, accessories, getting pedicures, etc. I always felt like a skinny girl might look cute when she rolls out of bed but a big girl looks sloppy.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Make up and hair styles look different on everyone since we have different skin tones, hair, face shape and so on.

You can look up things on youtube, but just playing around with makeup and hair styles will also be fun & youll get to see what works for YOU.

The more you play around with it and try new looks/colours, the better youll get at it. Your hand will be more steady, youll make smoother lines, youll earn to blend colours and see what looks best for you.

Goodluck hun! x
  • racataca
    racataca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do

Not

Neglect

Your

Eyebrows!

I cannot tell you how much your eyebrows make your face. Go get them waxed or threaded (and I highly recommend a Benefit Brow Bar if you have one in your area). The arch should be over the iris in your eye. Then every morning, fill them in with wax and brow powder. You will not even believe the difference it makes.

If you're going to wear foundation, make sure you wear a blush. Foundation creates a flat canvas out of your face. I would tell you to learn to contour, but that gets difficult; at the very least, start out with a blush to add some natural color back in. I high recommend Chanel blushes, especially Espiegle. Blushes are not the old lady makeup anymore.

Mascara is a must as well. Benefit's They're Real is better than any DiorShow I've used. When you put it on, wiggle the wand at the base of your lashes, then draw it up and out. If you put on multiple coats, do one coat on one eye, then go to the other eye, and then back to the first eye; don't do them all at the same time, or they'll get clumpy.

SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN SUNSCREEN.

Put your makeup on with brushes; not the doe-foot applicator things that come in the eyeshadow. Brushes make it 10x easier to blend, buff, and create flawless coverage.

Every woman can wear a red lipstick. There is at least one shade out there that will flatter her. My Holy Grail of Red Lipsticks is Makeup Forever's Aqua Rouge #8.

Be ready to spend money on stuff you put on your skin. I will willingly shell out 40 bucks on a foundation because it's going directly on my face. That said, you can get away with buying drug store eyeshadow, mascara, etc. if you want to. Just be sure that the things that go directly on the skin (foundation, primer, etc.) are made of decent stuff.

Lisa Etheridge on Youtube. Know her name.

As for your hair, splurge and go to a well-renowned hairdresser. Have him or her cut whatever it is that they think would look flattering on you. Consider highlights or a dye. Don't do either of those last two at home unless you've gone to cosmetology school.

Get rid of shampoos with sulfates and conditioners with parabens! Your hair will be less frizzy, and shinier!

IA with what everyone has said re: pinterest and tumblr and how to create a fashion look. Don't be so sold by trends, and if you do want to do trendy stuff, use cheap trendy pieces to accentuate a classic, well-made wardrobe. IMO the pieces that everyone should have in their closet include a LBD, a leather jacket, a great pair of jeans, and a pair of boots.

Just because you might have a bigger body does not mean you have to dress in baggy clothes. The baggier the clothes, the heavier you look. Conversely, things do not have to be as tight as a second skin. Well-fitted things will always be the most flattering. Be sure to weigh proportions. If you're going to go the route of a baggy top, do not go with baggy jeans, etc.

If you want to wear heels, you'll need to ease into them. Let me recommend platforms or wedges to start out, and then you can slowly go higher and pointier. I don't wear heels very much, but use wedged booties to elongate my legs.

Most importantly, CONFIDENCE is the thing that makes people beautiful. Wear your look proudly. :)
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The Body Shop'll give you a makeover without expecting you to buy anything if you're broke. Boots and big department stores will do free ones but expect you to buy.

Someone said it starts with being clean and fresh. I absolutely second this. Clean hair, clean skin, clean clothes. You can't build pretty if the basics aren't there to build on. Make sure you have a good cleanser and a good exfoliator (or two, one for your body and a milder one for your face). The exfoliator for your body can be bath gloves, a body brush (I have a great cactus one from Body Shop) or a cosmetic scrub or all three - try cheap versions out and see which works best for you (you can get body brushes at Wilko for about £3 and gloves for £1 or £1.50) and then buy yourself a better-quality one when you've discovered which feels best. And try a facial scrub, too. Plenty of stores will give free samples if you ask, although I find that St Ives apricot scrub is best for my skin, either the invigorating or the blemish-fighting (although they've changed their formulas lately, and I'm not thrilled with the change). Drink as much water as you can handle. (Well, within reason - don't go and drink five litres a day or something.) I take echinacea capsules, and it really makes a difference, but I'm told that you're not supposed to use them long-term.

Clear, glowing skin makes SUCH a difference to how you look, and if you have nice skin then you can basically eliminate most of the foundation / concealer / powder hoohah.

I'm not the right person to ask about makeup - I've been in a rut for years. Everyone else has good advice here though.

If you haven't plucked your eyebrows before and are interested in getting it done, get it done by a professional at least the first time. You can go to a brow bar or an urban spa, either by making an appointment or in most places as a walk-in. Expect to pay between £9 and £13, depending on whereabouts you live. A good beautician will help you to find a brow style that follows the natural curves of your face. You don't always have to do this, but if you haven't shaped your brows in a long time (or ever) it us MUCH easier to do regular maintenance than get them into the right shape to start with. I've been doing mine for fifteen years, and I still try to get them done professionally every four to six months, to keep them on the right track. If you decide to do them at home, invest in a good pair of tweezers. Cheap tweezers either don't grip properly or break the hairs, making the job a lot more painful and difficult than necessary. I like the Tweezerman brand - you can get them at Boots, and they're expensive, but they're worth it, and last a long time.

Of course, you don't have to pluck your brows - some women look fine without. (I am not one of them; I have what can only be described as Liam Gallagher unibrow.)

Get your hair trimmed on a regular basis. There's no benefit in getting a nice style if you don't keep it looking sharp. Depending on your hair type, it most likely needs to be done every 8-12 weeks, more often if it's short or in a stark, sleek style. It's best if you can make an appointment at a salon and show up with a bunch of pictures that you like so the stylist has some idea what you're looking for. If you don't have a clue what you want, make an appointment for a consultation. That said, if you're on a budget you can enquire at your local college to see if the students need models, or ask around at salons to see if they have any trainees who've just started - you'll have to pay, but it won't be much, and any decent salon or hairdressing course will have someone overseeing things to make sure your hair doesn't get butchered.

Although magazines are full of advice about what hair you should and shouldn't wear for face and body shapes, I think it pretty much doesn't matter what style you choose as long as you keep it in good condition.

Clothes are fun. Experiment, but wear what makes you comfortable. If you like and feel good in jeans and T-shirts, you could try buying beads and sequins from a craft shop and decorating your jeans. On the (rare) occasions that I find jeans that fit me well (I have a really long body and short legs) I buy a few pairs and decorate each differently, leaving one pair plain. If that's not your thing, you can dress up a plain outfit with nice accessories. Scarves are my best friend - I have about twenty, some brightly coloured, some embroidered, some with beaded fringes. Handbags, too. Nearly any outfit can become pretty and feminine by adding a nice scarf and handbag, and nice shoes if you don't have to walk everywhere like I do. :)

Of course, if you want to experiment with more styles of clothing, that's great too. The 50s-style prom dresses look great on everyone, even if you have a bit of extra weight (I actually think they look better if you're not really slim) and they're really pretty and feminine. I'm not sure that a lot of stores are doing them right now, but ebay'll have some.

Most importantly - whatever you wear, keep you clothes clean and fresh. Seriously. I'm always surprised by how many people forget this. Only ever wash whites with other whites, lights with lights, darks with darks. If you have garments that are multicoloured, use a colour catcher like Dr Beckmann's - Wilko does them for around £2 and they last 20 or 30 washes. If your whites start getting dingy and grey, try a whitener (not a bleach!) like Vanish Oxy-Action. Apologies if you know this stuff, but a lot of people just don't think about it, and it makes SO much difference to how you look.

Most of all, have fun and don't do anything you're uncomfortable with. Confidence makes you attractive, and there's no reason that women (and men!) shouldn't be beautiful and sexy regardless of their weight. Good luck, and enjoy yourself!
  • amishabbie17
    Options
    I Love looking at the new fashion magezines and pampering myself when i get the chance...I feel my most feminine with my hair and nails and makeup done and a new outfit from head to toe...It's like flipping a switch from normal everyday to instant "i'm sexy and i know it" kinda attitude and having someplace to go and show it off at...
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Lots of good advice here.
    You look pretty and girlie in your pic, love the flower and your hair looks 'done'.
    Wish you lived closer, I'd take you shopping and help you out - especially if you like 50s style!
    Start simply.
    Don't leave the house without perfume, mascara and lip gloss - and that works for walking the dog, doing the groceries or a late-night munchie run (... except we don't do that, do we?!?)
    And go to 'special occasions' so you can glam up!

@ TheRoadDog - can tell - looking very pretty in your sexy red undies :)
  • plaingirly
    Options
    Such fab advice - thank you!

I am planning on sorting a beauty routine over my Christmas break. I have really got into the make up and beauty thing - good job I had some birthday money left!

I have asked for some style / beauty books as well as beauty bits for Christmas too!

Going to start doing things regularly like my eyebrows and nails rather than letting them get scruffy.

Some people always look groomed and polished and that is what I am aiming for!
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    I am not the best person to give advice since the only makeup I wear is eyebrow pencil to darken them and chap stick if that counts..

BUT ...i know YOUTUBE has everything!! ...it has tons of girls who will show you how to apply anything and numerous product reviews. Before I buy anything now a days I always try to see if there is a youtube review, because I hate wasting money on things that end up in the trash or collecting dust...

I do believe that if you dress for success that you will defiantly feel great... like wearing a power suit or something.... If you like a trend that is happening right now, or see a girl who has a style you like...copy it ! =)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    POGTFO

Ha! Says the bloke with no pics of himself in public, wheeeeee!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Confidence is the most important thing. However I get that confidence has to come from somewhere. Fond your own personal style- wear hairstyles, clothes and makeup that YOU love. You need to like how you look before anyone else does.

Also, how old are you?
    Some people grow into their looks, I was a plain, nay- downright ugly kid/teenager. Now I do okay.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    pretty is as pretty does!

I will never be the girl who wears lots of makeup ... just can't do it "right" pretty much wear mascara (in between eyelash tints) lip tint/gloss and thats it...
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not much I can do about my looks, but I know when I am wearing my sexy red underpanties I feel pretty inside.

I'm wearing them right now.
    [/quote

:laugh:

That is funny but so true. Finding something pretty to wear underneath your clothes can help you feel better about yourself. I love make up, but still love to watch the tutorials on you tube. My favorite is pancea81, her real name is Lauren Luke she has a few different channels. She really seems to care, I just love her. Make up can be fun, I feel like an artist creating something on a blank canvas. You just have to find whats best for you and what styles make you happy and feel good. Dont get upset if your make up dont turn out just right, work with it on your day off and even enlist a good friend to help you. Take advice but only do what makes you happy. And stop filling your mind with negative things about yourself. I have just started this and it really can help. What is something you really like about yourself? Is it your hair, your smile, your nose or your eyes. Look at yourself in the mirror and find your best feature. Then when you start that you just might find something new. I have just started feeling better about myself and I hope you do too.