Crossfit?

Options

Replies

• rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it. Its worth checking out if you can fit it into your budget. A good CF gym will have a strength portion as well as a metabolic conditioning portion for each workout with mobility work to supplement tool. Do your research. Visit as many CF gyms as you have in your area. The first intro class usually is free. I would visit all of them before making a decision too, that will really let you see how varied the quality (coaching, equipment and programming) of these gyms really are. There are many amazing CF gyms and also many crappy ones. If you can't afford the gym they have some great bodyweight workouts that are easy to do at a gym or at home with minimal equipment.

You probably won't see much more weightloss than you currently do with NROLFW. Just like lifting, if you don't have a whole lot to lose and weren't exactly sedentary before, you're going to notice changes in body comp vs. weight loss. I've been doing CF and weightlifting for the past year and have only lost maybe 10 lbs but I have dropped more than 1 jean size and I can feel/see that I have less body fat.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i wish i had the time and money for crossfit. i have a schedule where i can't usually make it to classes. besides, i kinda like working out by myself. and yes, crossfit is expensive, because you are paying for private classes. i looked for other class style work out studios in my neighborhood; cardio kickboxing, boot camps, and hot yoga are all about the same price. yes, the crossfit box is a little more expensive, but not that much more.

the box in my neighborhood is very very good. instructors limit the class size to 20 ppl and under. he's got years of experience in all kinds of training. you get very individual training.

a good box will also insist that you do 2-3 weeks of beginner classes. they teach you things like burpees, wall balls, dead lifts, etc. the basics of a class so that when you join the rest of the group, you don't slow things down.

a lot of people like the cammraderie that these classes offer. some people need other people and instructors to push them during training. it's good to compete against others.

yes, people out there have done crossfit and have gotten injured. but thats because they don't know how to work out, and push too far too fast. my best friend has been doing crossfit for six months. he has been in and out of the hospital for years because of shoulder injuries. this is the first year he hasn't had a surgery. is his Fran time under 7 minutes? yes. but is he also careful about certain moves? absolutley. can he still get hurt if he messes up? yes. i mean, i went rock climbing at an indoor gym on monday, and i sprained my ankle. am i going to tell ppl not to rock climb? no.

most boxes will offer a free class to see if it's right for you. sign up. i hope you enjoy it. when i went, i was one of two guys in the class. the other 16 were chicks in varied levels of fitness.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well consider that Crossfit isn't the cheapest way to do anything, the best way to gain muscle or strength, the easiest way to lose weight, the best way to gain endurance, or even to prepare for the crossfit games. Then google "crossfit dangerous"

This coming from someone who obviously has never tried it... and has a picture of ice cream as his profile picture. And Crossfit is one of the best ways to gain endurance... it is exactly the workout that Firemen and the Military uses.

This coming from someone with a pic of themselves all muddy as their profile pic. Let me guess, you;re some bro nutritionist who thinks ice cream is bad because you have no clue about real nitritional science. I said it isn;t the best way to build endurance, and it isn't. Since you're so big on pics, here's an arm for ya.

photo-1.jpg

I'm the female. And ice cream is filled with sugar... but too enjoy it. And my husband's arm is way better than yours :tongue:

O noes not sugar. I knew you were the chick. Comparing me to your husband is about as fail as can be. Why don't you both run off to narcissist land together. O wait, he owns a Lolfit box. You can just go there.

You always call chicks BRO, Bro? :laugh:
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is really good the community is great its like one big family but it is really expensive and make sure the trainer/instructor is top notch because some of the moves you can really hurt yourself without knowing the proper form.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    everything can be dangerous. ::smh:: But crossfit is the same as any other exercise. Practice correct form and know your limits. I love it! I was terrified at first of course cause it looks intimidating and because of all the people that are like "crossfit is dangerous." I find it to be a good place to do new things and to get in an environment where I will do metabolic conditioning which helps lose weight (I hate doing metabolic conditioning on my own) Try it, see if you like it, everyone is different.

I do my own weight training program at my gym and do crossfit 2x a week as my cardio.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Here is your answer :)

"Dont bite off more than you can chew"
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Many of the posters make a good point: it DOES depend on your trainers. If you get pushy, unfocused trainers, Crossfit can be a disaster. However, just like anything, if you get good trainers, Crossfit can be a great workout, albeit, an expensive one.

I started Crossfit about 3 months ago, and to be honest, it was really hard and I almost quit, but I stuck with it and I now use it as a supplement for my 5x5 stronglift workout. I go 2-3 times a week, and do my lifting routine 3x a week. I've seen great results and I am not getting bored because of the changing crossfit routine. If you have a deal to try out a few classes, I say give it a shot and see if you like it. It is a great workout, from a strength and endurance perspective.

To respond to the dangerous commentary I say this: Don't forget, you are paying them, you don't have to push yourself beyond anything you don't feel confortable doing. When our trainers try to push weights I KNOW i can't do yet, I ignore the recommended weight, and do something lighter. They are my employees, not the other way around.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    if in doubt, try it ;)

perhaps do the initial instructors course, just to make sure you know as much as the person who may be in front of you!

getting the most out of everything = good experienced instructors vs new inexperienced instructors!

you're in charge, don't forget that! injury is unforgiving.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    To respond to the dangerous commentary I say this: Don't forget, you are paying them, you don't have to push yourself beyond anything you don't feel confortable doing. When our trainers try to push weights I KNOW i can't do yet, I ignore the recommended weight, and do something lighter. They are my employees, not the other way around.

Exactly!! You don't have to do something if you think you can't. I get scared starting super heavy so I start lighter than what they tell me to usually and then if I feel comfy I go up and so on.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the box. Good box=good coaches. I know I happen to be very lucky that I go to a box and have coaches that focus on form and mobility above all else. I have access to my coaches at all times via text, email, facebook and I know I could call him if I needed to. That's what I pay for; technique, advice and support. My class is the best bunch of people I have met in a long time and it felt pretty good this morning when I hit a PR on bench, (body weight!) and had the whole class cheering me on and high five-ing after.

It's up to you to make sure your trainers are a good match for your personality. You also need to check around and see if your box is legit. Research the coaches, google is your friend. Remember if you have a bad experience at ONE box it doesn't mean crossfit is bad, just that box, or maybe just that coach.

You will have a hundred people tell you it's awful and a hundred tell you it's good. In the end, the only way for you to know it's right for you is to try it.

ETA: I don't understand why everyone points to the kipping pull up as proof crossfit sucks. We do STRICT pull ups all the freaking time. All the time! Do other boxes not do this? I'm confused.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    OP:

I'd stick with what you're doing. You're already on the right track with New Rules. And lifting weight with good form is going to be better for you, and bring results much easier than racing against a clock with atrocious form.

There are some good crossfit gyms out there, but i'd say they are the exception to the norm
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Why?

CrossFit is hotly contested here. Do a search for it. It's been discussed to death. I'm surprised it's not banned from MFP as a discussion that cannot be discussed.

I would love to do it too as I think it looks very challenging. But, it is so dang expensive.

Anyway, good luck. I expect this to digress in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
  • natalie2355
    natalie2355 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I *hate* how negative people are about crossfit. Yes, it's just as dangerous as ANY OTHER SPORT. Know your limits. Go to a good box that's an affiliate. Why do people get so fing crazy about CF??? You don't see people getting their panties in a twist about zumba or underwater basket weaving?
    I've been doing CF since January. It's challenging and always new and exciting. I've battled with depression/body dysmorphia for YEARS and this past year crossfit has done more for me than YEARS of therapy.
    Yes, it's pricey, but paying $100 a month holds me more accountable so I actually go 4-5x week.

Quit being so nasty. No one likes a negative nancy. CF is not for everyone. If you like it, keep doing it. If you dont then don't go and make the rest of us feel like crap for doing what we enjoy.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    you can find modified versions of crossfit, small workouts or WODs that you can do in your own gym or backyard too - doing crossfit doesnt have to be flipping monster truck tires. It can be kettlebells and bodyweight and stuff too ya know.

this is one more thing that falls under the whole warning that everything doesnt have to be all or nothing - you can take parts of it and work it into your current routine.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Greatest thing I ever did -- I love it but just like with everything in life -- you like it, love it or you don't -- done and done

People are always going to find a way to put down something so I say you if you are interested find a groupon or living social somewhere and test it out.

Also, most CF gyms have an open trial on Saturday mornings that you can do and see if you like it and try out a few gyms to see which trainers you like.

The money for me was worth the strength I gain and the motivation and support from who I work out with and my trainers who pushed me for new PRs and helped with form and everything else.
  • VitVit18
    VitVit18 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tried CrossFit and I enjoyed it and would be willing to do it again, however, at this point in time I cannot justify the cost (recent university grad, still paying off a student loan and looking into buying a car in the spring), the times at our only box in town didn't work with my current schedule and lack of vehicle, and the biggest one for me was that I know myself, I work better with a personal trainer (1-on-1), or even just going to the gym by myself.

Even at that, my friend will occasionally tell me what was done in a particular WOD, and I will replicate it at my gym. They're good, sound workouts. I actually enjoy incorporating it into what I already do, a little variety never hurt anybody!

It's all comfort level, and how far you're willing to push yourself!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Well consider that Crossfit isn't the cheapest way to do anything, the best way to gain muscle or strength, the easiest way to lose weight, the best way to gain endurance, or even to prepare for the crossfit games. Then google "crossfit dangerous"

This coming from someone who obviously has never tried it... and has a picture of ice cream as his profile picture. And Crossfit is one of the best ways to gain endurance... it is exactly the workout that Firemen and the Military uses.

Lol wtf is this response?
  • Caseyhildreth
    Options
    You should absolutely give it a try! It is an incredible work out....it's intimidating at first, so give it a try for ATLEAST two weeks. it's amazing how efficient of a work out it is. I've been doing it for a while now and I absolutely love it. Good luck. Just remember, proper form is CRUCIAL...I hurt my lower back a few weeks ago, because I was slacking on the form. Though that is true for all weight lifting.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    http://www.paradisocrossfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Comprehensive-Bodyweight-Workout-List-v1.5.pdf

Check these out and look at incorporating them into your current routine, maybe one or two days a week. That gives you a good idea for what a metcon workout would be at a box.

The workouts are great but I joined a new box after I moved just because I missed the people. That's what you don't get when you work out alone or at a lot of other gyms.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Can we stop with the "CrossFit dangerous" bull s***? People hurt themselves walking down their front porch to get the morning paper, should I stop that too? It doesn't matter what you are doing, a chance of injury is ALWAYS possible. No, CrossFit is not cheap and NO there is nothing (movement-wise) about it that makes it any different from other workouts. That being said, the community is what I go for. Without CrossFit, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have. I am not going to say it is for everyone, but I am definitely sick of all the hate that people have that just don't understand it...

Not to mention, your argument is not helpful at all. All you do is focus on the negatives of CrossFit and you give no help or offer no suggestions as to what the OP might otherwise attempt... Try again.