Crossfit?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I pulled a muscle in my back while flirting. joined a convent. men are dangerous.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I pulled a muscle in my back while flirting. joined a convent. men are dangerous.

Dear God! What were you thinking by flirting!? Didn't anyone ever warn you about that?!?!?!
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This coming from someone who obviously has never tried it... and has a picture of ice cream as his profile picture. And Crossfit is one of the best ways to gain endurance... it is exactly the workout that some Firemen and the Military uses.

Fixed.
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about CF, I recommend trying BodyRock.tv. You can find their videos on YouTube. They are crazy intense and can (mostly) be done at home. Just a warning, the main chick got a bewb job and it seems like the camera likes to focus on that. lol
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/

The only thing I don’t like about crossfit is the timed or high rep Olympic lifts. You can scale everything in crossfit, meaning you can lift less and “modify” the RX WOD (prescribed workout of the day). It is mostly dangerous for people that have herd mentality and a tendency to follow without thinking. Educate yourself on the dangers and just make sure you take care in those areas. Having good trainers is very good. The box I learned at, they pay attention to form and require you to take an “elements” class to learn the basic form. Just be sure to let the instructor know you would like them to pay attention and correct your form.
    As for the cost, $150-165 a month usually comes out cheaper than a gym membership and a personal trainer. I just checked 24 Hour Fitness & 10-50 minute sessions cost $669.99, and that isn’t counting the $30-45 a month membership.
    Crossfit is a group workout, you will likely make friends that will encourage you and push you to do better, and if you connect on facebook with your box, they will likely call you out if you aren’t showing up or at least make sure you are alive. They will usually know you by name….I honestly don’t think that it is overpriced for what you get. Now, with that said, I plan on buying my own bumper weights, kettle bells, rings, medicine ball, and using my welder to make my own custom rack for my garage and just doing it at home. I’ll probably just pay for a drop in from time to time to see if they are doing anything new but many of the workouts you can & will do can be done at home.
    You can go to a few crossfit classes and do so much at home on your own if you can hold yourself accountable & push yourself.
    In the end, if you like to challenge yourself, crossfit is great for that, but do educate yourself on the dangers. There’s a box in my area where the owner dis-associated with the Crossfit brand (and he was one of the first in, his annual ‘franchise’ fee or whatever it is was only $300 a year. I think it’s 10x or more as much now to become affiliated. Anyhow, he is focusing on making changes in the areas where there were dangers while still using the intense workouts in the areas where they weren’t a danger. You should look at crossfit as more of a sport than just a workout…and regardless of if you are playing sports or working out, injuries happen. The more intense they are, the more likely you are to get hurt. Yes, you can play it safe and go to the gym, but I urge you to read up on it and check out some boxes in your area. They usually all offer a free session or week, so give a few of them a try and see if it’s for you. Just be ready for a VERY hard workout!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

This made me fall out of my chair!

Going to have to stop reading the Message boards!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I *hate* how negative people are about crossfit. Yes, it's just as dangerous as ANY OTHER SPORT. Know your limits. Go to a good box that's an affiliate. Why do people get so fing crazy about CF??? You don't see people getting their panties in a twist about zumba or underwater basket weaving?
    I've been doing CF since January. It's challenging and always new and exciting. I've battled with depression/body dysmorphia for YEARS and this past year crossfit has done more for me than YEARS of therapy.
    Yes, it's pricey, but paying $100 a month holds me more accountable so I actually go 4-5x week.

Quit being so nasty. No one likes a negative nancy. CF is not for everyone. If you like it, keep doing it. If you dont then don't go and make the rest of us feel like crap for doing what we enjoy.

$100/month? What are you talking about? It's $180 here for only 3 days a week. Going 5 is more than $200 per month. That's a lot of dough. Nothing to just scoff at, that's for sure. It's way out of my league as far as money goes.
  • yoovie
    Options

Dear God! What were you thinking by flirting!? Didn't anyone ever warn you about that?!?!?!

I figured someone would just tell me if I was doing something stupid. Didnt realize I had to like, you know, pay attention to my own actions. Frak that. No more boys ever.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I *hate* how negative people are about crossfit. Yes, it's just as dangerous as ANY OTHER SPORT. Know your limits. Go to a good box that's an affiliate. Why do people get so fing crazy about CF??? You don't see people getting their panties in a twist about zumba or underwater basket weaving?
    I've been doing CF since January. It's challenging and always new and exciting. I've battled with depression/body dysmorphia for YEARS and this past year crossfit has done more for me than YEARS of therapy.
    Yes, it's pricey, but paying $100 a month holds me more accountable so I actually go 4-5x week.

Quit being so nasty. No one likes a negative nancy. CF is not for everyone. If you like it, keep doing it. If you dont then don't go and make the rest of us feel like crap for doing what we enjoy.

$100/month? What are you talking about? It's $180 here for only 3 days a week. Going 5 is more than $200 per month. That's a lot of dough. Nothing to just scoff at, that's for sure. It's way out of my league as far as money goes.

Xfit free on saturdays in Park Slope
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Well consider that Crossfit isn't the cheapest way to do anything, the best way to gain muscle or strength, the easiest way to lose weight, the best way to gain endurance, or even to prepare for the crossfit games. Then google "crossfit dangerous"

Can we stop with the "CrossFit dangerous" bull s***? People hurt themselves walking down their front porch to get the morning paper, should I stop that too? It doesn't matter what you are doing, a chance of injury is ALWAYS possible. No, CrossFit is not cheap and NO there is nothing (movement-wise) about it that makes it any different from other workouts. That being said, the community is what I go for. Without CrossFit, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have. I am not going to say it is for everyone, but I am definitely sick of all the hate that people have that just don't understand it...

Not to mention, your argument is not helpful at all. All you do is focus on the negatives of CrossFit and you give no help or offer no suggestions as to what the OP might otherwise attempt... Try again.

I my first post which was the second of the thread I suggested sticking with regular lifting. Try again.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    This coming from someone with a pic of themselves all muddy as their profile pic. Let me guess, you;re some bro nutritionist who thinks ice cream is bad because you have no clue about real nutritional science.

WAIT.... im so confused and kinda scared now......... doing mud runs means you dont know anything about nutrition and keeps you from getting in shape??????????????????????????????????

Par for the course.

About as much as a pic of ice cream means anything.
  • yoovie
    Options
    This coming from someone with a pic of themselves all muddy as their profile pic. Let me guess, you;re some bro nutritionist who thinks ice cream is bad because you have no clue about real nutritional science.

WAIT.... im so confused and kinda scared now......... doing mud runs means you dont know anything about nutrition and keeps you from getting in shape??????????????????????????????????

Par for the course.

About as much as a pic of ice cream means anything.

I think your bowl looks yum
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Really? Really!?

(I mean, I don't know where Crossfit falls on the "most dangerous sports" ranking, but I'm certain that different sports have different risk factors. I don't mind a little exaggeration to make a point, but I draw the line at making up facts.)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Well consider that Crossfit isn't the cheapest way to do anything, the best way to gain muscle or strength, the easiest way to lose weight, the best way to gain endurance, or even to prepare for the crossfit games. Then google "crossfit dangerous"

Can we stop with the "CrossFit dangerous" bull s***? People hurt themselves walking down their front porch to get the morning paper, should I stop that too? It doesn't matter what you are doing, a chance of injury is ALWAYS possible. No, CrossFit is not cheap and NO there is nothing (movement-wise) about it that makes it any different from other workouts. That being said, the community is what I go for. Without CrossFit, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I have. I am not going to say it is for everyone, but I am definitely sick of all the hate that people have that just don't understand it...

Not to mention, your argument is not helpful at all. All you do is focus on the negatives of CrossFit and you give no help or offer no suggestions as to what the OP might otherwise attempt... Try again.

I my first post which was the second of the thread I suggested sticking with regular lifting. Try again.

"regular lifting' :huh: ... you are too wise for me...
  • FullOfWin
    Options

"regular lifting' :huh: ... you are too wise for me...

no need to state the obvious
  • LMick1986
    Options
    I personally haven't tried it. I know a TON of people that do it. Most of them have injured themselves pretty bad and that scares me. It just seems dangerous. The weights they are throwing up and the rushing just seems harmful. Bad form most of the time from what I see at the gym. And they don't know when to stop.
  • FullOfWin
    Options

Really? Really!?

(I mean, I don't know where Crossfit falls on the "most dangerous sports" ranking, but I'm certain that different sports have different risk factors. I don't mind a little exaggeration to make a point, but I draw the line at making up facts.)

Not the most comprehensive nor does it include crossfit. is in relation to youths.

Weight training’s injury rate of 0.0012 injuries per 100
    participant hours pales to the 6.2 injuries per 100 participant hours in youth soccer and 1.02
    injuries per 100 participant hours in basketball. Time in the weight room carries even less risk
    of injury than a traditional physical education class where there is an injury rate of 0.18
    injuries per 100 participant hours. In fact, weight training, unlike many other sporting
    activities is an accepted and recommended therapeutic modality following injury. If weight
    training can damage injured tissues, why would any responsible clinical professional
    recommend them for rehabilitation or prevention?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You can never be Elite™ if you don't crossfit
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    I personally haven't tried it. I know a TON of people that do it. Most of them have injured themselves pretty bad and that scares me. It just seems dangerous. The weights they are throwing up and the rushing just seems harmful. Bad form most of the time from what I see at the gym. And they don't know when to stop.

Congrats on being one of the people smart enough to use existing empirical data to make a determination without running the experiment for yourself.
  • FullOfWin
    Options
    You can never be Elite™ if you don't crossfit

Indeed

crossfit1-300x228_zps153cab33.jpg