Tattoos making me feel better about my body

Options

Replies

• MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think tattoos make a women look awful. I'd rather see stretch marks any day.

That's an awfully dated and SEXIST opinion! Outnumbered too considering the other responses!

As a woman with tattoos I can most definitely say I do not look awful. Nor do any of the ladies who have posted photos. Badly done tattoos look awful, period, regardless of the gender of the wearer.

You clearly don't look too fantastic yourself considering you don't even have an avatar- people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Playing devils advocate here...Sounds to me like this comment was simply stating an opinion. Not everyone loves tattoos and that's ok, just like some adore them which is also ok as well.

Me personally, I don't have any and I will never get any. I think most tattos are beautiful but in my opinion they take away from the beauty of ones body...doesn't mean I will like someone any less if they have 1 or 10, I just think the body without art work is art in and of itself :-)

Don't want to offend and I hope I haven't.

This is the correct way to voice an opposing opinion.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    My tattoo makes me want to stay in shape so I can show it proudly.

^^ This
    I have 5, and my reward for reaching my goal weight is another or addition to an existing. I love all of my tattoos, and there are stories behind all of them.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When I got my first three tatoo's had to cover them up at work, back then only "bad girls" got a tatoo

I hid them from my parents my Mom passed away without ever knowing I had a tatoo, my Dad just found out 10 years ago when I got my 4th tatoo, I like them all except one I got when I was 18 with my Ex-Husbands name on it which I got covered up.

I got one last year in honor of my 5 year survival and I do love it.

But to me it really is kind of bizarre that friends that frowned on mine ten years ago are now getting a tatoo themselves.

Do I like extreme tatoo's or full sleeves no. They just aren't for me. But I say it's your body and if it makes you happy by all means.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have 3. A sun in the middle of my shoulder blades, one of a seal on a rock looking at the sun -I wanted to be marine biologist at that time-not anymore. haha, that's on my calf/shin area and I have a really crappy one of a rose on my ankle.

My personal feelings is Id never get any tattoos on my arms, face, neck or chest. You can cover up your legs and middle of your back pretty easily if you needed to(people don't see mine with some tank tops) but its hard to wear short sleeved shirts in the summer or cleavage shirts without people seeing them. haha. There are many times I can think of when you should cover them up...church, weddings, family holidays, going to parent/teacher things, being around any of your kids sports or school stuff, trying to get a job, I'm sure there are a lot more too...
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging. Do what you want with your body. All the power to ya. It just seems like life would be harder with them than without them in those places.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    Guess I'm old fashioned about this. If you have a tatoo, then you had better been a soldier, sailor, or biker.

You do realize that there are lot of ex-military women like me that are bikers and have tattoos, right? LOL!

Yes! In fact the ideal woman was a soldier, is a biker, and drinks like a sailor! :bigsmile:
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    Guess I'm old fashioned about this. If you have a tatoo, then you had better been a soldier, sailor, or biker.

I am none of these and I have three tattoos, but I love the saying anyway! LOL :laugh:

Haha! It's a saying I stole from my uncle :laugh:
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch!! By the time I'm done every part of me that can be covered by regular clothes will be nothing but tattoos. And my husband thinks they are AMAZING by the way. He always smile when he looks at them, which makes me love them even more. And not all of mine have meaning. Some are just pretty :) Even though my biggest piece, that I'm in the middle of getting, has very special meaning to me.
  • Hwardle
    Hwardle Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think tattoos are pretty smexy;) I, myself, have 7 as of right now and like most people they all have specific meanings to me. Of course they make me feel better they're something beautiful on my body that i'll always have!
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    i have 10 and will be getting more....if the people don't like them why are they on this thread.....
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I got my first TINY little rose on my thigh in my late 20's.... then a small heart on my ankle (which ended up looking like a melanoma!), then a strategically located blue bird a few years later. At age 57 I had the ugly little heart covered with a beautiful music symbol ( a bass and treble clef in the shape of a heart ). I may get the little rose covered because it wasn't well done. None of my tattoos show unless I want them to. My husband likes them, though he has none himself. As long as they are well done they can be beautiful. Personally, I think everyone should really think about what they will be putting on themselves permanently, because that is pretty much what you're doing, and consider how they will effect your professional life down the line. No matter how beautiful it is, it shouldn't be visible at work, especially in a white collar position. That is, of course, unless you have the kind of job where it wouldn't matter, like if you're a tattoo artist!
  • bellynbeard
    Options
    My tattoo is nearly old enough to have its own grandchildren, and I've never regretted having it.. Enjoy !!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos but I am curious about the process. How long does it take to have one done? Several people have mentioned wanting more but are waiting until they can afford one. How expensive are they? I don't mean to be noisy but am curious about it! Thanks!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have ten. I did three of them myself. I have been apprenticing for about a year and a half.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tattoos but I am curious about the process. How long does it take to have one done? Several people have mentioned wanting more but are waiting until they can afford one. How expensive are they? I don't mean to be noisy but am curious about it! Thanks!
    It depends on the location you want it done at, what style it is (black and grey, color, old school, japanese), It also depends on the artist. For me, I can do an area the size of a deck of cards in about an hour. But sometimes it takes longer or shorter depending on the person's skin.
    As far as what it costs that will vary a lot from artist to artist. Typically for an area the size of a deck of cards, i will charge around $50, some people charge more or less.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had no idea there were so many types of styles! It's quite an investment in time, isn't it? Thanks so much for taking the time to educate me.:smile:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 tiny one. I always planned on getting more when I lost weight. As for how it looks when you get old, I've personally always liked seeing old people with tattoos. I figure they've probably got good stories to tell. :laugh:
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I only have 1 tiny one. I always planned on getting more when I lost weight. As for how it looks when you get old, I've personally always liked seeing old people with tattoos. I figure they've probably got good stories to tell. :laugh:

I'm 60 and believe me... I have GOOD stories to tell! :wink:

And.... my oldest sister, who is now 70 and has been a professional all of her life, got her first tattoo to celebrate her 60th birthday!
  • Lalamontour
    Options
    I have 10 and one covers all of my ribs. I love them
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have been getting tatted since I was 18 and I'm 23 now, I have 23 tattoos, and all of them have meaning to me. The one I think I adore most is my chest tattoo, it covers my whole chest and it is just perfect. :heart: