PSA: Subway's nutritional info is underestimated

Options

Replies

• cem789healthy
    cem789healthy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just thought id add i LOVE a footlong veggie delight on wheat.

ask for LOADS of salad, 2 layers of tomatos, no sauce, no cheese and you have a huge meal for under 500 cals :)
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To put everyone's fears to rest, I worked at a Subway.

Every single meat portion is regulated. Down to the little steak cups, which we had to weight every darn tootin' mornings xD It was a hassle, but I can tell you this much: the cheese and meat is always calculated (unless you get shredded cheese, in which occasion it depends on whoever's using the spoon - or not - but from my own experience, bosses are pretty stiff about using less rather than more.

The bread is also all manufactured to be the same weight on a 12 inches, so the slight difference you might get from that employee with a slightly off measurement you'll make back next time.

You can always ask to get the sauce on the side in a little cup. We were instructed to put in 2 lines of mayo during training. Most people see that as too little, though. I've made a few sandwiches with literally an inch of mayo over some skimpy lettuce -_-' Ew. What you could do is ask the employee for a wave, it's what I did towards the end. People felt there was more because it was better spread out, when in reality there was less. Teach that trick to the peeps working there, they'll love you for it ;) (and you'll be doing a favor to everyone else, in a way!)

Just... don't add salt, guys. The meat tends to be really high in sodium by default. Ya don,t need more than what's already there. And stay away from the cookies (speaking from experience xD Employees had dibs on crumbs and too old leftovers >_<).

'Course to me it's a treat now. I go there and get a 6" pork or spicy italian (pepperoni and salami) sub with southwest sauce once in a while. Amounts up to 600ish calories, substitutes bad greasy pizza very well when I have a craving, IMO :)

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/files/nutritionvalues.pdf
    This says nothing about cheese included...but it doesn't say meat either. Maybe Im wrong. haha

Cheese is listed separately.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options

ask for LOADS of salad, 2 layers of tomatos, no sauce, no cheese and you have a huge meal for under 500 cals :)

I want subway *cries*
  • kriskel
    kriskel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just don't put mayo and it doesn't matter. Pickles have no calories, by the way.

Since when do pickles have no calories?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    No packaged foods are ever truly accurate, they are all a best guess estimate, eg when a pack lists the sodium content as "trace" this can be anywhere from 1mg to 50mg, this is why most human beings have an in built impulse called common sense :flowerforyou:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have always assumed that nutritional info on for restaurants/fast food/packaged food isn't 100% accurate. That's to be expected if you are not making it yourself.

I don't think its a big deal unless everything you eat comes from subway, then you have bigger issues anyway.
  • Pannna
    Pannna Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Ditto ! :tongue:
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Seriously after I learned how their meat is packaged I have been turned off of subways. Not to mention the high amounts of sodium in their sandwiches when you do the math.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When I worked at Little Caesars in high school the managers bonuses were based mostly on making food costs. That causes them to make the employees use less cheese and topics, not more - so the incentive is for the calories to be under. I imagine a lot of fast food restaurants are actually on similar programs - so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what your friend said.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    subway is "fast food" and should be considered as such. Fast food is never good for losing weight ever.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    subway is "fast food" and should be considered as such. Fast food is never good for losing weight ever.

Yeah you're right *looks at ticker below* Oh wait you're completely wrong!
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    The veggies at Subway probably aren't going to make a huge difference in terms of calories. Maybe the olives but even those would pale in comparison to the the bread, condiments, and meats that have the bulk of the calories. The bread and meat sizes are pretty regimented so you can rely on those. For condiments, try getting them on the side in one of those little cups. I'm not sure what size those are but you could probably find out somewhere. Then you'd have a better idea of how much is really going on your sandwhich.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    this is why most human beings have an in built impulse called common sense :flowerforyou:

You give most people too much credit.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

This! Even if its low in fat it can be high in carbs or sodium. Not saying you shouldn't eat it but its not for daily consumption if you order certain sandwich.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This! Even if its low in fat it can be high in carbs or sodium. Not saying you shouldn't eat it but its not for daily consumption.

Sodium does not cause real weight gain. Carbs will not harm most people's weight loss as long as they're within their calorie limits.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    watching them put mayo or light mayo on and its obvious its way over a serving size, i usually add an extra serving in the food diary to try and compensate
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    Just don't put mayo and it doesn't matter. Pickles have no calories, by the way.

Since when do pickles have no calories?

I stole this from somewhere but:

"Zero Calorie Foods in reality have calories. Its just that the amount of calories is extremely low (less then 5/10 I think) per serving. People call these "free foods". The FDA allows the labeling of these "free food" products to advertise as 0 calories per serving. However care should be taken in any case because eating enough of these 'free foods' can still add up."
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Is this really a surprise? This is pretty much holds true for any fast food joint or eating out in general
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

Yeah you're right *looks at ticker below* Oh wait you're completely wrong!

^5