PSA: Subway's nutritional info is underestimated

Options

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Subway is crap. They heat their stuff up in a microwave which loses all of the nutrients in whatever is being heated.

I can't stand that franchise!
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    this is true with all food places and nutritional labels because the FDA says its ok.

this is old news!

here is a link... if you don't know about this, it might be a nice read

http://nutritionovereasy.com/2011/04/can-you-trust-the-nutrition-facts/
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    subway is "fast food" and should be considered as such. Fast food is never good for losing weight ever.

So glad I found a way to lose weight without listening to bad advice like this.

Moderation. Eat what you want, just mind your calories and work out.

The rest of you have fun trying to live on salads and giving up after 3 weeks.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Human error is always there unless things are weighed.

I thought I'd throw this in for fun ;)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070921110735.htm

Hey, everything is an estimate, our ancestors didn't need to calorie count, they had trouble getting enough grub in them! It's possible cooking evolved further then just heating food because we needed a way to get extra calories into us!

Keep counting, keep exercising, enjoy life!
    :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Subway is crap.

But it's TASTY crap and I'll carry on eating it.. :drinker: everything in moderation
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Subway is crap. They heat their stuff up in a microwave which loses all of the nutrients in whatever is being heated.

I can't stand that franchise!

I wonder where people get this stuff!
  • DeadsandOats
    DeadsandOats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    subway is "fast food" and should be considered as such. Fast food is never good for losing weight ever.

Truth
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Why eat there anyway? The biggest reason for most people on here is bad food choices. regardless of how much they protest. Which is why most are here to begin with

A sandwich may have a lot of good veg and meat but it is wrapped in bread. Over comsumption of bread and carbohydrates are a huge factor in body fat gain.

Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you work out then have them afterwards, snacking on things like this is what got people in trouble in the first place.

I eat quinoa or sweet potato regularly. I guess I'm doing it wrong. Damn.

Not a chance you're doing it wrong! Quinoa is full of protein and sweet potatoes are amazing for you! They both taste awesome and you mix them up with some veggies, you're golden! If you're doing your weight lifting and cardio - you're fine. I eat a ton of Carbs before I do spinning (well usually, I'm debating on toast right now because I don't want to overeat) which is today.

Quinoa is a superfood - not sure if anyone knows this? It has a ton of nutrition and is a grain. Anyway... I love it and would eat it everyday if I wasn't too lazy to make it. Especially with Moroccan spices - O M G - put in some cinnamon and you have yourself a superfood WITH something that will help burn fat and stabilize your metabolism.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yep.. :bigsmile: ^^
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Why eat there anyway? The biggest reason for most people on here is bad food choices. regardless of how much they protest. Which is why most are here to begin with

A sandwich may have a lot of good veg and meat but it is wrapped in bread. Over comsumption of bread and carbohydrates are a huge factor in body fat gain.

Keep carbohydrates to a minimum unless you work out then have them afterwards, snacking on things like this is what got people in trouble in the first place.

Sorry but this is pretty much completely false. Carbs or bread, unless you have a medical issue with being able to break them down, do not cause body fat gain. Eating a surplus of calories relative to what your body burns causes weight gain and body fat retention.. This coming from a girl who lost 20 lbs and I ate subway at least 3 times a week, along with pasta, ice cream and any other carb laden thing. What did I do? ate within my calorie and macro limit, and exercised. Burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Pretty simple!
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Thank you Brett! These members on their high horses...sheesh! Love how you put it.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

YUP. Been there, done that. I'd rather eat what I want, in smaller potions, than struggle with eating "healthy" foods and be miserable to the point that I quit after a week.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Ate Subway nearly every day while losing 90lbs.

OH NOES THE BREAD!! My weight loss is a lie!!

OH NOES - I eat it sometimes! And I have pizza at least once a week. The crust is surely the reason I haven't lost any weight yet......oh wait, yes I have lost weight. Lol, my bad.

A 6" sandwich does not equal a "snack". And the reason people are here is because they were eating TOO MUCH food, not because they had a 400 calorie sandwich for lunch sometimes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Uuuuhhhhh ...
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I managed a restaurant for 5 years (a national chain with published nutrition facts) and our inventory cost controls were based on the cooks using the appropriate serving sizes. Everything that was able to be portioned out (like sides, sauces, etc.) was weighed out before the lunch or dinner shift started and portioned out. Or if it had to be scooped from a big pan (like mashed potatoes), the scoop they used was a measuring cup. This was essential for cost controls, and it helped us stay true to the nutrition facts. We had lots of daily/weekly/monthly reports about being over/under inventory as compared to sales and if there were any problems, the cooks were retrained.

Just saying that while some chains just throw stuff on your sandwich without measuring, some are pretty accurate because they have to be.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

You could just get a cup of coffee. (roll eyes)
  • Nicolette_Karls
    Options
    I stopped eating at Subway when I started honestly logging everything they put on those subs. It wasn't even so much that the chicken is microwaved or that the bread is not always fresh. I was the amount of sodium in everything. No matter how I diced it, I could not find a way to make a sub that I would eat and would be filling without an excess of sodium.

And yes, restaurants give you way more than a portion size. I work in the dorm cafeteria; employees don't always get memos about what a 6oz portion size is. However, when I go to places like Taco Bell, Chipotle, Lonestar, Chilis, ect., it's usually on a "cheat" day or I eat sparingly the rest of the day. That way, it doesn't matter if their portions are not just perfect, because I have made allowances elsewhere.

So let's all calm down about what food is healthier or tastes better or how we should all be eating. Obviously dieting is different for everyone. If you can make room for the sodium, then go ahead and eat that Subway. Let's just chill before this thread turns into a boxing match.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    lol'ing at all the people saying Subway will hinder your weight loss. Maybe if you have issues with carbs. For the majority of us though, Subway is just fine. Is it truly healthy? Not really, but if I'm out and I need something to eat, you bet I'm headed to Subway over McDonald's.

I get a foot long turkey on wheat with cheese and mayo plus every veggie but onions and green peppers. All in all the sandwich does top out at close to 800 calories, but I only eat one half (386 calories) per meal and am stuffed. With (per half) 20g protein, 35%drv of calcium, and less fat than a serving of almonds, I'll take it. And my weight loss is going just fine with eating it about 6 times a month.

As for the OP... That's to be expected really. Imagine how much time would be wasted if the "Sandwich Artists" actually stopped to count out all of the individual black olives and pickles they put on a sandwich. But, other fast food chains do this as well. At least the extra calories from added veggies are negligible. They also put the same amount of meat/cheese so the estimates aren't too far off.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Subway being inaccurate but I can say something about Five Guys.. I ate a burger and a thing of curly fries there about a year ago and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest for hours afterwards.. I will NEVER eat there again. I am to young for a heart attack!

Even if Subway is off, I imagine it is still a good deal healthier than most any other quick food I can think of at the moment.

this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. hamburger and peanut oil doesn't give you an instant heart problem or I would die on a daily basis.......

Subway has scoops that they use for meats. Obviously the sauces and veggies are going to vary. but you'd have the same margin of error at home unless you're weighing things on a scale.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Subway being inaccurate but I can say something about Five Guys.. I ate a burger and a thing of curly fries there about a year ago and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest for hours afterwards.. I will NEVER eat there again. I am to young for a heart attack!

Even if Subway is off, I imagine it is still a good deal healthier than most any other quick food I can think of at the moment.

this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. hamburger and peanut oil doesn't give you an instant heart problem or I would die on a daily basis.......

Plus fat doesn't make your heart race. Caffeine and speed, however ...