Going Vegetarian

Options
Locked at the request of the OP

Hello!

I'm not new to MFP (been a member for a while) but I've decided to become a vegetarian. Meaning NOT vegan. I will no longer eat beef and pork and dairy. I will sometimes eat fish (i don't like a lot of fish. i only eat sushi & shrimp anyways) and chicken. But this is my issue.

I'm a carb addict. I found out that when I restrict my carb intake (such as doing atkins) i actually lose a lot of fat. So I'm currently wanting to become a vegetarian but I don't want to intake a lot of carbs while being one.

Also I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan (U.S. Army) until sometime next year. So while I'm here my options are VERY limited if I chose to go completely vegan. But since I like chicken and some fish products I chose to be vegetarian instead.

Are there any suggestions as to what I should NOT intake carb-wise? They do have sandwiches here and I'm not a newbie to a veggie sandwich (which I use to get often).

I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle. I know to stay away the meats I don't want to eat but other than that I would rather stay away from surprise carb-loaded foods. (yes i know that bread has carbs in it and depending on what kind it is then i can be loaded with them).

Thanks for the help!!

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you're still planning on eating fish and chicken occasionally, you're not going to be a vegetarian...?

Regarding carbs, just load up on veggies instead of pasta or bread. Why are you cutting out dairy?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    my word
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Funny, it seems there are more vegetarians eating animal protein, like you are, than not.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    id read up on being vegetarian first then id look at the alternatives. You can have meat but get the veggie meat. Im glad you want to take the step but id read into it first.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why are you becoming a vegetarian? If you enjoy meat, just stick with that and work on eliminating the unhealthy carbs. Going veggie won't make you any healthier. It will just require you to get your sources of protein from an alternate source, such as beans, legumes or soy. If you don't enjoy red meat, then don't eat it, but if you enjoy chicken and sushi, then keep doing what you are doing.

Also, if your goal is to just limit carbs, why don't you go paleo? It's protein and fat and moderate carbs from fruits and veggies. It's kind of the opposite of veggie but meets your requirement. From personal experience, my vegetarians I am friends with are carbs heavy.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You are not a vegetarian then. You are a flexatarian.

Also if you are giving up dairy you would become a de facto vegan.

I am unsure what you could be classified as - I would say a flexi-vegan?

And your post is confusing - you say you do not want to be vegan then state you do.

As for being in the army- I am former 11B (infantry) and the chow line should have enough items to make a veg meal from. In the field yeah- your options are more limited. However, every case of MRE's is supposed to come with one vegetarian meal in it. Per research on the web there are currently 4 veg meals made (Menu 11, 12 ,13 and 14 detailed below)

I also started off cutting out pork, then beef, chicken and finally fish. I have not had any meat in well over a year. I have been blessed with having a great metor as a vegetarian this last year. I should point out that there are a lot of things that have meat products in them such as worcestshire sauce, gummy bears, marshmallows, jello, etc.

If you truly go veg you will become adept at reading ingredients for gelatin and so on. And becareful of soups "vegetable soup" is typically NOT vegetarian being made of beef and/or chicken stock. Eating out is also fun until you get the hang of it!

Good luck- hope you become a real veg

MENU 11-
    Vegetable Lasagna
    Wet Pack Fruit
    Cookies
    Peanut butter, chunky
    Crackers
    Candy I
    French vanilla cappuccino
    Hot sauce
    Accessory packet B
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater

MENU 12 - Vegetarian
    Spicy Penne Pasta
    Toaster pastry
    Pudding
    Peanut butter
    Wheat snack bread
    Beverage, carb electro
    Hot sauce
    Accessory packet A
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater
    Hot beverage bag

MENU 13- Vegetarian
    Cheese Tortellini
    Wet pack fruit
    First Strike bar
    Peanut butter
    Crackers
    Candy II
    Beverage, carbo electro
    Spice, seasoning blend
    Accessory packet B
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater

MENU 14- Vegetarian
    Ratatouille
    Pound cake
    Peanut butter
    Tortillas
    Dairyshake
    Spice, seasoning blend
    Accessory packet A
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater
    Hot beverage bag
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to become vegetarian?
    Why do you want to cut out dairy products?
    Try to get your carbs from veggies, fruits etc.
    Don't go vegan unless you know what you're doing! Vegan is a very difficult lifestyle.
  • raichhype
    raichhype Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I will no longer eat beef and pork and dairy. I will sometimes eat fish (i don't like a lot of fish. i only eat sushi & shrimp anyways) and chicken.

I hope you realise that that doesn't make you a vegetarian? Eating fish and chicken isn't vegetarian considering they are animals.

Also, what reason do you have to cut out dairy? It isn't high in carbs or fat? :S
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I've decided to become a vegetarian. Meaning NOT vegan. I will no longer eat beef and pork and dairy. I will sometimes eat fish (i don't like a lot of fish. i only eat sushi & shrimp anyways) and chicken.

<snip>

So I'm currently wanting to become a vegetarian but I don't want to intake a lot of carbs while being one.

<snip>

But since I like chicken and some fish products I chose to be vegetarian instead.

<snip>

I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle.

You aren't describing a vegetarian diet, you're just giving up red meat and dairy.

"Vegetarian" means you don't eat meat...or poultry...or fish. Some vegetarians will eat dairy ("lacto-vegetarian"), some will eat eggs ("ovo-vegetarian"), some eat both ("lacto-ovo vegetarian"). Vegetarians who eat no animal products at all, avoid using animal products in other ways (no fur coats, no leather shoes or belts, etc.), and do it for what they consider ethical reasons, are vegans.

If you're trying to cut carbs, it's much more effective to cut out grains (bread, pasta, rice, corn, cereal) and sugar, which have lots of carbs and relatively little nutrition. Vegetables aren't carb-dense, you can eat a lot of them and still not overdo carbs, and fruit in moderation (NOT fruit juice, eat the whole fruit).

But you have to be careful to get enough protein and fat. A low-carb way of eating cannot also be low-fat, or it simply becomes a high-protein diet.
  • ShayLune
    ShayLune Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian for two years, and vegan for seven months. Just be careful. I believe some can really thrive from that diet, but not all. I got extremely ill. I am 25 years old and have been through menopause and praying it can be reversed.. but it doesn't look that way. I also developed rickets.. and have gotten much better, but it took 10,000 units of D3 a day for months.

Make sure you are well educated about the diet before you begin.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    If you want to become a vegetarian than you would have to give up chicken and fish. Not eating red meat doesn't make you a vegetarian.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian meaning I still eat dairy products and I eat eggs. It is tough to start out being a vegetarian. I made the switch because of reasons other than weight loss or diet. You need to see what is available where you are that you can eat and still get proper nutrients in.

Educate yourself on what it takes to be a proper vegetarian if you still want to continue to become one. YOu need to know how to get proper amounts of protein and other nutrients without meat.

I'm not sure why you are cutting out dairy products. Unless you have a medical reason to there really isn't a cause to cut them out.

You can be a very healthy vegetarian without a lot of carbs however there's nothing wrong with eating them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Hello!

... I will sometimes eat fish (i don't like a lot of fish. i only eat sushi & shrimp anyways) ...

If you want to be a vegetarian and don't like fish you don't have to eat them, you can just kill them indiscriminately. They'll get the point that you don't like them and you can still be vegetarian.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why? What are you trying to achieve?

And as others have said, eating fish and chicken does not a vegetarian make.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians don't eat fish or chicken or seafood.

Stop telling people that. I'm sick of people sneaking these things in to my food because ignoramuses muddle the definition of vegetarian. Tell people "I don't eat red meat" or whatever.

Actual vegetarian low carb involves a lot of eggs.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best on this, given your current deployment....As a former Army Medic...all I can say is this...Carbs are not evil. Meat is good.

Bust your *kitten* in your downtime by working out on base. Any and all body resistance training will aide and RUN. LOTS.

And as they say in Basic....DRINK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Lots of it.

EDIT: Let me add. When you return stateside, or back to home base, then go Vegetarian. The challenges will no longer be present
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle.

Yes, yes you are... and you will now be educated more than you could have imagined. Lol.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    "So I'm currently wanting to become a vegetarian but I don't want to intake a lot of carbs while being one."

^^^^I'm so confused by this statement!??!?! Is it possible to be a low carb vegetarian??

Look - I don't care for meat that much. I'll eat chicken or turkey but I'm really really picky on how it's prepared. I'll have the occasional tuna sandwich or shrimp dinner. I eat A LOT of dairy, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, seeds, grains. I don't see the need to put a label on how or what I eat. I eat what I like in sensible portions. You should do the same. Don't eliminate entire food groups from your 'diet' for the sake of weight loss. Eat things that you like and enjoy in sensible portions. If you restrict your 'diet' too much it becomes cumbersome and unsustainable.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Funny, it seems there are more vegetarians eating animal protein, like you are, than not.

I used to think vegetarians ate mainly vegetables and fruit, and I'm sure a lot of them do. But after looking at some of the "vegetarian" diaries here on MFP, it appears that eating vegetables isn't a requirement. "Grain-atarian" or "non-meat eater" would be more accurate for those folks: Bread, pasta, cereal, rice, granola bars, protein bars/shakes, and soy products make up the bulk of their diet, with maybe some eggs and/or dairy, and a surprising (to me) amount of sweets and soda. Their veggies and fruit may only consist of a small salad at lunch or dinner, or a fruit smoothie for breakfast.

All that to say, vegetarian doesn't necessarily equal healthy. You have to work at it to get proper nutrition.
  • andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I want to go sober but Still drink wine and beer;-)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you want to become a vegetarian than you would have to give up chicken and fish. Not eating red meat doesn't make you a vegetarian.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian meaning I still eat dairy products and I eat eggs. It is tough to start out being a vegetarian. I made the switch because of reasons other than weight loss or diet. You need to see what is available where you are that you can eat and still get proper nutrients in.

Educate yourself on what it takes to be a proper vegetarian if you still want to continue to become one. YOu need to know how to get proper amounts of protein and other nutrients without meat.

I'm not sure why you are cutting out dairy products. Unless you have a medical reason to there really isn't a cause to cut them out.

You can be a very healthy vegetarian without a lot of carbs however there's nothing wrong with eating them.

^^^ this is great. I agree. Why do you want to become a veg? I think loosing weight isn't a really good reason to, personally speaking.
This discussion has been closed.