Going Vegetarian

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm not new to MFP (been a member for a while) but I've decided to become a vegetarian. Meaning NOT vegan. I will no longer eat beef and pork and dairy. I will sometimes eat fish (i don't like a lot of fish. i only eat sushi & shrimp anyways) and chicken. But this is my issue.

I'm a carb addict. I found out that when I restrict my carb intake (such as doing atkins) i actually lose a lot of fat. So I'm currently wanting to become a vegetarian but I don't want to intake a lot of carbs while being one.

Also I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan (U.S. Army) until sometime next year. So while I'm here my options are VERY limited if I chose to go completely vegan. But since I like chicken and some fish products I chose to be vegetarian instead.

Are there any suggestions as to what I should NOT intake carb-wise? They do have sandwiches here and I'm not a newbie to a veggie sandwich (which I use to get often).

I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle. I know to stay away the meats I don't want to eat but other than that I would rather stay away from surprise carb-loaded foods. (yes i know that bread has carbs in it and depending on what kind it is then i can be loaded with them).

Thanks for the help!!

If you're going to eat chicken and fish it isn't vegetarian at all, it just means you're cutting dairy and beef out of your diet. Just thought I'd clarify...

If you're still eating chicken and fish you can still reduce carbs. If you were actually vegetarian reducing carbs would be harder. Not quite sure what you're asking?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you eat chicken and seafood, you are not a vegetarian.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you want to become a vegetarian than you would have to give up chicken and fish. Not eating red meat doesn't make you a vegetarian.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian meaning I still eat dairy products and I eat eggs. It is tough to start out being a vegetarian. I made the switch because of reasons other than weight loss or diet. You need to see what is available where you are that you can eat and still get proper nutrients in.

Educate yourself on what it takes to be a proper vegetarian if you still want to continue to become one. YOu need to know how to get proper amounts of protein and other nutrients without meat.

I'm not sure why you are cutting out dairy products. Unless you have a medical reason to there really isn't a cause to cut them out.

You can be a very healthy vegetarian without a lot of carbs however there's nothing wrong with eating them.

^^^ this is great. I agree. Why do you want to become a veg? I think loosing weight isn't a really good reason to, personally speaking.

Weightloss isn't guaranteed with going vegetarian/vegan either. Not sure where people get that from?
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian for about a year, and it was a bit difficult to stay light on the carbs. But it can definitely be done! I always drank protein shakes to make sure I got enough protein, as well as beans and lentils. I ate a lot of cheese too but I guess you can't do that, haha. Eggs were also my best friend. Greek yogurt is another low-carb, high-protein food! Why are you cutting out dairy, if I may ask? That's your best bet for low carbs and sufficient protein.

Also, if you are still eating chicken please do not call yourself a vegetarian. That will not fly well with people who actually are. :ohwell:
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So many people already beat me to the punch, but WHY do people claim to be vegetarian when they still eat fish, chicken, etc?! So much rage.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    You are not a vegetarian then. You are a flexatarian.

Also if you are giving up dairy you would become a de facto vegan.

I am unsure what you could be classified as - I would say a flexi-vegan?

And your post is confusing - you say you do not want to be vegan then state you do.

As for being in the army- I am former 11B (infantry) and the chow line should have enough items to make a veg meal from. In the field yeah- your options are more limited. However, every case of MRE's is supposed to come with one vegetarian meal in it. Per research on the web there are currently 4 veg meals made (Menu 11, 12 ,13 and 14 detailed below)

I also started off cutting out pork, then beef, chicken and finally fish. I have not had any meat in well over a year. I have been blessed with having a great metor as a vegetarian this last year. I should point out that there are a lot of things that have meat products in them such as worcestshire sauce, gummy bears, marshmallows, jello, etc.

If you truly go veg you will become adept at reading ingredients for gelatin and so on. And becareful of soups "vegetable soup" is typically NOT vegetarian being made of beef and/or chicken stock. Eating out is also fun until you get the hang of it!

Good luck- hope you become a real veg

MENU 11-
    Vegetable Lasagna
    Wet Pack Fruit
    Cookies
    Peanut butter, chunky
    Crackers
    Candy I
    French vanilla cappuccino
    Hot sauce
    Accessory packet B
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater

MENU 12 - Vegetarian
    Spicy Penne Pasta
    Toaster pastry
    Pudding
    Peanut butter
    Wheat snack bread
    Beverage, carb electro
    Hot sauce
    Accessory packet A
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater
    Hot beverage bag

MENU 13- Vegetarian
    Cheese Tortellini
    Wet pack fruit
    First Strike bar
    Peanut butter
    Crackers
    Candy II
    Beverage, carbo electro
    Spice, seasoning blend
    Accessory packet B
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater

MENU 14- Vegetarian
    Ratatouille
    Pound cake
    Peanut butter
    Tortillas
    Dairyshake
    Spice, seasoning blend
    Accessory packet A
    Spoon
    Flameless ration heater
    Hot beverage bag

^ this. couldn't have said it better. especially soups that are cheddar based, like cheddar broccoli a lot of times are made with chicken fat (although you eat chicken?)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Wait, so you want to go vegetarian but you don't want to give up chicken and fish?
  • keem88
    Options
    i do know a lot of people who do not eat red meat, but they also do not claim to be vegetarians since they do actually, eat meat.
  • keem88
    Options
    But since I like chicken and some fish products I chose to be vegetarian instead.

I'm just a bit clueless when it comes to a vegetarian lifestyle. I know to stay away the meats I don't want to eat but other than that I would rather stay away from surprise carb-loaded foods. (yes i know that bread has carbs in it and depending on what kind it is then i can be loaded with them).

Thanks for the help!!

not to sound rude, but clearly you are clueless if you are going to become a vegetarian, possibly vegan, but still eat chicken and fish.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    If you want to become a vegetarian than you would have to give up chicken and fish. Not eating red meat doesn't make you a vegetarian.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian meaning I still eat dairy products and I eat eggs. It is tough to start out being a vegetarian. I made the switch because of reasons other than weight loss or diet. You need to see what is available where you are that you can eat and still get proper nutrients in.

Educate yourself on what it takes to be a proper vegetarian if you still want to continue to become one. YOu need to know how to get proper amounts of protein and other nutrients without meat.

I'm not sure why you are cutting out dairy products. Unless you have a medical reason to there really isn't a cause to cut them out.

You can be a very healthy vegetarian without a lot of carbs however there's nothing wrong with eating them.

This, only I'm not an ovo-lacto vegetarian, but my husband is and has been since he was 19 or 20.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I will no longer eat beef and pork and dairy.

But since I like chicken and some fish products I chose to be vegetarian instead.

You are NOT a vegetarian, you simply don't eat beef, pork and dairy.
    Vegetarians never eat fish and chicken. Do not confuse people by telling them you are a vegetarian. Vegetarian don't eat any kind of meat ever.
  • kiraleilani
    kiraleilani Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Eating fish and chicken means you are NOT a vegetarian. Vegetarians do not eat any type of animal flesh.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian ( I eat dairy and eggs.) I don't have a hard time keeping my carbs within a healthy limit.

BTW- THANK YOU for serving our country and keeping me and my family safe! God bless you!!!
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eating vegetarian means no chicken or seafood along with no beef or pork. Vegetarians do eat cheese and dairy, and eggs depending on what type of vegetarianism is followed. You're describing flexitarian which is mostly vegetarian with occasional chicken/fish. Good luck regardless of your choice and Thank you for serving our great country. <3
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Terminology can be confusing, especially if you are flexible and fluid with your eating choices and not strict with limitations. I understand because I was a vegetarian for a long time and then transitioned out of it. I think what you mean is that you want to eat a mostly plant based diet, but include fish and chicken. Hope that helps. But, you will benefit from menu ideas from vegan and vegetarian options, but you have the benefit of not needing to eat processed fake meat (if it causes you tummy troubles, as it did for me).
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    My mind is boggled by both the post and all the comments. So many food lifestyle labels! Jesus..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My mind is boggled by both the post and all the comments. So many food lifestyle labels! Jesus..
    I believe he ate fish.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Indeed....so much easier to just eat all the food!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian does not eat fish.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I believe he ate fish.

"Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods. He believed in love and Peace and never wore no shoes"
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian does not eat fish.

Some fish do eat vegetarians though.
This discussion has been closed.