in need of some brutal, honest advice

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    consistent responses here is you're not eating enough and i agree. the only thing i would add is...

eat 5 times per day. i'm guessing you're only eating 2 or 3 times a day. increase your calories by eating healthy foods (more great advice on this in the thread) 5 times per day (don't miss breakfast) and you will have the nutrients you need and your metabolism will be steady throughout the day and you'll burn calories.
    No one needs to eat five times a day for their metabolism, although I agree that it might help the OP to eat little and often because of the psychological struggle to eat more.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You may not necessarily need to increase the quantity of your food. That could be very difficult for someone in your situation who is used to eating too little.

What you can do is eat more energy-dense foods, so that you experience the same amount of 'fullness' but you are sneakily giving your body a better amount of energy to keep you alive on.

How to do that is pretty simple. Proteins and Carbs have around 4 kcal per gram. Fat has 9. So you increase the fat.

This doesn't have to be unhealthy at all: Organic peanut butter, avocado, nuts, red meat, oily fish, olives, milk, soy...

Also, instead of grilling or baking, consider stir frying your meals in some olive oil. This will increase your daily calories without you even realizing.

Don't tell yourself you don't have an eating disorder. You can't self diagnose that kind of thing and all the warning signs are there, so see a good therapist and let them decide.

Also have your doctor run some blood tests for thyroid and adrenal function.

Good luck!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 years old and at 5ft3 currently weigh 6 stone 11. My periods have stopped and I'm constantly tired and run down. I realise i'm underweight but i love food and don't think I have an eating disorder. I eat around 900 calories a day, often going up to 1,400 2 nights a week if I go out at uni and drink.

I'm finding it really hard to loosen my control. MFP reccomends eating 1,600 calories a day to maintain my weight but that's got to be rubbish?! How can i go from eating practically double what i eat now and maintain my weight?

I've been weighed by my doctor but he didn't really seem that concerned, so i'm just worried as to why i feel so tired and run down all the time if my weights not that big an issue. I'm not starving myself I have treats every now and then, had a mince pie yesterday, pizza express the other day...

whats going on?!

You only eat around 900 calories and you wonder why you are run down?

calories = fuel.

What happens if you don't put fuel in your car? It stops running, eventually sputtering as its running out... Sound familiar?

Eat some complex carbs and protein. The carbs will get that engine of yours running full steam again soon. If I'm really tired, I'll grab some granola or some quick oats and that really can do the trick!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    You need a new doctor. Or does your doctor not know that you're under eating? If your doctor knows you consume 900 calories (and from the sounds it's 900 calories of not so healthy nutrient rich food) and is not "concerned" then there is a problem!

Your period stopping is a sign that your body is shutting down. You're giving it too little to work with. It has to start shutting down stuff in order to just wake you up and get you out of bed.

Track your food, aim for your daily goal every day. Eat nutrient dense foods, and if you need to break it down to 5 or 6 small meals a day so that way you don't feel like you're shoveling it all in. Treat yourself to your pizza and stuff here and there, but make sure you get your veggies, proteins, carbs, etc.

Build up a support group and just keep thinking you can do it. Try to put on a few pounds and after a while of getting used to eating more, get an exercise routine going.

I would also suggest going to get mental health services as well. Even if you don't THINK you have an eating disorder, and you have a healthy relationship with food, your 900 calories is showing else wise. There may be an underlying problem preventing you from eating as much as you should from OCD, low self esteem, to even something in terms of just being too picky. But you should aim to treat the underlying problem to better your relationship with food and your own personal well being.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    This is the second time you've posted asking if people think you have an eating disorder. I believe that you know you do. Please get some counseling. I hope you have someone you can go to for help or someone who will lead you to help.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks great for the 3 meals, please don't start eating fried foods, why start such unhealthy diets when you already have an incredibly clean ones, but I don't see fruits? Add 2 fruits a day and you will able to hit at 1200 quite easily.

Are you very active, doing lots of sports? Many young adults get such problem when they are more athletic. Are you stress in school? That might also be the cause.

Also, ensure you have enough iron, for people with very clean diet, iron is very much lacking in their diets.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Your diet looks great for the 3 meals, please don't start eating fried foods, why start such unhealthy diets when you already have an incredibly clean ones, but I don't see fruits? Add 2 fruits a day and you will able to hit at 1200 quite easily.

Are you very active, doing lots of sports? Many young adults get such problem when they are more athletic. Are you stress in school? That might also be the cause.

Also, ensure you have enough iron, for people with very clean diet, iron is very much lacking in their diets.
    SHE DOES NOT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. SHE DOESN'T WEIGH 100 POUNDS EVEN. HER PERIODS HAVE STOPPED. WHY ARE YOU SUGGESTING THE BARE MINIMUM OF CALORIES?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is the second time you've posted asking if people think you have an eating disorder. I believe that you know you do. Please get some counseling. I hope you have someone you can go to for help or someone who will lead you to help.
    Is it?

Then I reiterate what I said earlier: go to a new doc. Tell them how little you eat and how little you weigh and that you have concerns. Heck, tell him you've posted on a weight loss forum about your eating.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options

Where on earth do you get the impression that frying is unhealthy?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

SHE DOES NOT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT. SHE DOESN'T WEIGH 100 POUNDS EVEN. HER PERIODS HAVE STOPPED. WHY ARE YOU SUGGESTING THE BARE MINIMUM OF CALORIES?

Exactly. She's 95 pounds. I'm also 5'3" with a small frame and at 110 pounds, I was a size 3 when I was 16. Then I was 102 when I had terrible morning sickness for nine months (though I gained at the end of the pregnancy). And I was still having periods at 110.

When a woman's period stops, there is something wrong.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    its ok! just work up an apetite! I dont have an eating disorder but every now and then I will not eat for a couple of days cause its very uncomfortable to me. So I make sure that the rest of the week is awesome and balanced and really only do this like once a month. Its hard for me to fake an apetite, but i do love food!
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You have also asked this question before, same stats... I think you're also trying to convince yourself more that it's normal, because you were TOLD it was an ED... please get help! =/
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your topic title is "in need of some brutal, honest advice"

Okay, here it is:

You have a problem, get help. You are sick.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    don't think I have an eating disorder. I eat around 900 calories a day,

That's the only info we need. Yes you do. Please get some help :)

this
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    don't think I have an eating disorder. I eat around 900 calories a day,

That's the only info we need. Yes you do. Please get some help :)

this

it isnt your caloric intake that qualifies an eating disorder, its your relationship with food.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1700 a day and lose. 1600 is not too much.

You should see a doctor because you are aware there are problems and are obviously unhappy with your relationship with food. What's even better is that you're seeing this problem, not exactly admitting it, but you know something is not right. Professionals can help you get past it. I'd see a doctor ASAP.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    STEP 1: EAT MORE FOOD.

STEP 2: FIND NEW DOCTOR.

Take those two steps and call us in the morning.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The fact is you can not acheive enough nutrition on 900 cals a day everyday with the addition of booze aswell. You are doing your body a disservice. Get some help for it.
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you're on a downward spiral and obviously in denial. as most others have stated, you need professional help so you can get yourself to into a healthy lifestyle. look up 'refeeding syndrome', just another course your body may travel.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Everyone who has commented so far is correct that you are underweight and that if you continue this way, eventually you will die. Yes, we all die sometime, but you still have a lot of life left in front of you. You likely will not enjoy the life you have if you continue the way you are since your body is nagging you to feed it. Another thing to consider, aside from whether you want to live or not, and assuming you do, you will not be able to conceive or have a healthy pregnancy or baby in the condition you are in presently. I don't know if this matters to you or not, but it is still true. The recommended weight for women is 100 lbs for the first 60" of height and 5 lbs for every inch of height over 60". You could easily do that by consuming 1400 cal/day of nutrient dense foods. Nutrient dense foods provide the necessary nutrients without a lot of calories. That is the challenge for those of us who are trying to lose weight; to get enough nutrients with the least caloric intake possible. For you it is to get enough calories AND nutrients without going overboard. I agree with everyone else that professional help is indicated for you, both from a psychotherapist who deals with eating disorders and from a dietician who can educate you on food choices that will bring you the best physical health.
    As far as I can tell, the responses you have received here are all very caring and concerned from people who don't even know you. If strangers can care about you and want to help you, you should take from that that you are worthy of it and need to take care of yourself to reflect that. Many of us have similar issues surrounding self-worth and control of our lives and behavior, but most people want to live, live well and be happy. One must be good to oneself or that won't happen.