Do you live to eat? or do you eat to live?

Options

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I get all sorts of sad when I hear people say "I eat to live". We've been gathering around the campfire enjoying meals together as a social group for centuries. You shouldn't detach all pleasure from food - that's no healthier than overindulgence.
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If I didn't live to eat, I probably wouldn't be on here in the first place! LOL!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Neither. As with most things in life, I tend away from the endpoints in favor of the middle ground.

Agreed. Some foods I eat to live, some foods I live to eat. Why can't you do both?

Living to eat is gluttonous behavior, which is one of the 7 deadly sins.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Neither. As with most things in life, I tend away from the endpoints in favor of the middle ground.

yup.

that said, I refuse to eat something I don't like just because it's "good for me." broccoli? good for the body, sure. but I can't stand the smell of the stuff cooking and definitely can't eat it without wretching.

life is too short to just plug my nose and swallow. I'll eat as best I can, mixing good for me foods with good for my tastebuds food.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I live to eat.

I love food. I love all the things that go with it. Cooking is one of my favorite things to do! I look at recipes that I want to try constantly. I work in the food business. I also work in a food science lab. I am a culinary science major.

Food <3
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I would say I eat to live. I love a great meal, but born of laziness I had addopted a horrible diet of convenient foods.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

Agreed. Some foods I eat to live, some foods I live to eat. Why can't you do both?

Living to eat does not automatically make one "an excessively greedy eater," "a person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink."

You're confusing overeating with loving the act of preparing or eating delicious food.

I live to eat (among other things, of course). I am not a glutton. I make fantastic meals, and they always fit into a healthy calorie range. Overeating for me is the exception, not the rule, but food? It brings me pleasure and I'm totally cool with that. Fine food, fine drink? Yes. Only if you consume it to excess are you a glutton.
  • margeb102
    Options
    a little of both. happy with my progress. just wish i figured this out years ago.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I used to live to eat-was planning the next meal before the one I was eating or cooking was done. Now I eat to live and what a great feeling it is. I use food only for fuel.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Since I love to cook, I do both. I wouldn't want to eat a rubber tire or mounds of grease that will clog my arteries, so I usually try to find something healthy to eat that also tastes good! I do believe that food was made for us to enjoy but only in moderation.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    live to eat. I firmly believe if you don't live to eat you must need cooking/baking lessons
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Living to eat does not automatically make one "an excessively greedy eater," "a person who eats or consumes immoderate amounts of food and drink."

You're confusing overeating with loving the act of preparing or eating delicious food.

I live to eat (among other things, of course). I am not a glutton. I make fantastic meals, and they always fit into a healthy calorie range. Overeating for me is the exception, not the rule, but food? It brings me pleasure and I'm totally cool with that. Fine food, fine drink? Yes. Only if you consume it to excess are you a glutton.

Completely agree.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat to live and do cardio to eat more than I need.
  • bowties_r_cool
    bowties_r_cool Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat to live during the week and live to eat on weekends!

THIS
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I eat to maintain my mystical powers. Anyone got a goat and a knife?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I eat to live so that I can live to eat.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I live to eat! I love to cook. I love good quality ingredients. I read food blogs and magazines. I write my own recipes. When breakfast is over, I think about lunch, and when I finish lunch, I look forward to dinner, after dinner I greatly anticipate my dessert. For me, food is something I find true joy in eating and sharing.

I'm just like you! I'm constantly thinking about what I'm going to cook and eat next. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

For those that don't over eat, yet have a meal and are thinking about their next meal or snack..............that is gluttonous behaviors.

I eat to live and also enjoy fine food and drink. I love to cook also, but I don't live to eat. I fix my meal, eat what I want of it and then go about my day. When it is time for my next meal, I cook again and enjoy what I want of said meal also.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Dinotopia ?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

For those that don't over eat, yet have a meal and are thinking about their next meal or snack..............that is gluttonous behaviors.

What about those who want to make sweet, sweet love to steak, cheese and bacon, etc? Are we morally suspect also?!