Does anyone else seem to get sick.. A LOT?

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    i get sick more when i dont sleep enough. i try to get 7-8 hours a night.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    I think the frequency of washing your hands and whether you touch your face a lot has more to do with the frequency of getting sick than eating and exercising.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Take garlic pills! I never ever get sick when i take them.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    You don't eat enough.

Some days, you only log 400 calories. I would venture a guess that your body is so preoccupied by lack of food that it doesn't have time to waste fighting off a cold.

I eat a moderate deficit, TDEE-20%. I eat mostly healthy with some junk and workout 3-5 days a week. I'm hardly ever sick an when I am, it doesn't hit me that hard. For example, my husband and I both have had colds in the last week. His hit him like a mack truck....mine was just a slightly irritating sore throat in the mornings and one or two days of a runny nose.

You can pop vitamins all day long, but it's not going to make up for the fact that you are eating a VLCD.

Any day that looks like I've only eaten 400 cals - I had gotten busy and didn't log my food the rest of the day.

A lot of days, I get busy with homelife and don't get a chance to log dinner. Everything before 4:30 - I'm religious with (because I'm at a desk or around my phone). But after that, it's up in the air. I average between 1600 to 2000 calories a day, on average.

Anyone else posting comments on this (which I truly, truly appreciate), me not eating enough is not a relivent factor. I eat PLENTY.

My mistake. I was only looking at the data/information provided when trying to give you an answer.
  • I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne. Whenever someone in my office is sick or I am in big crowds of potentially plague carrying people, I drink it. And I'm rarely sick.

100% agree, this stuff is great for prevention and when you have symptoms, it doesn't give you the groggy feelings other medicines do.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    I haven't been sick in over 18months. I also don't have seasonal allergies anymore. As a person who has had chronic bronchitis and is asthmatic, this whole lifestyle change has been a blessing.

Good luck!
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    I don't but when I stop eating healthy and letting myself slip I do get sick. Especially when I don't take my vitamins I also feel sluggish and tired.
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Yes!!!! I;'ve been wondering what the hell is wrong with me! I never get sick, not more than once or twice a year with just a small cold!
  • I think the frequency of washing your hands and whether you touch your face a lot has more to do with the frequency of getting sick than eating and exercising.

^^^Absolutely this. When I'm not diligent with washing my hands, that's when I get sick. What food I'm eating or when I'm exercising never matters (for me). The people I know who are sick all the time have terrible hand hygiene.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I go through cycles. I'll go 3-4 years and almost never get sick... maybe just one mild cold in the span of a year. But then I will have a rotten year where I get sick over and over and over again.

This is that year for me. I had a mild cold in September. Then I got sick again in mid-October and never really got over it. I kept fighting it, and would feel better for a day or two, then slip back into feeling rotten. I finally got to the doctor, and it turned out I had walking pneumonia and needed two rounds of antibiotics to knock it out of my system.

I spent the entire Thanksgiving break (my workplace was closed the whole week) sleeping and healing. I am FINALLY feeling like myself again.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    what other people have said are good thoughts... more nutrients from actual food, making sure you're getting enough sleep, are you exposed to children or high risk populations (i.e. work in healthcare), ect.

but, one thing I will throw out there that I didn't see anyone mention-- make sure you don't have any toxic mold in your house.

i have experience with that, and the story is pretty terrible.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Used to be sick ALL THE TIME. I stopped going to the strip club, and now the only itch i get is, well to eat.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    how much do you work out?? Overtraining lowers your immune system. I only get sick like once a year really. I used to be sick more often but since I made my lifestyle change I'm rarely sick.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    - Zinc... interesting. I've taken Airborne and Emergen-C when I felt a cold coming on. Is zinc a normal suppliment that one can take on a regular basis?

You will find it in some cough drops, you should not take it all the time, but it's good if you feel a cold coming on...similar to when you would take Airborne.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne. Whenever someone in my office is sick or I am in big crowds of potentially plague carrying people, I drink it. And I'm rarely sick.

100% agree, this stuff is great for prevention and when you have symptoms, it doesn't give you the groggy feelings other medicines do.
    That's because it doesn't ~do~ anything.
    There is no evidence that is has any efficacy at all. The company that makes it has been sued successfully for false claims.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    It seems that no matter what I do, if someone within 10 miles of me has strep, I will get it as well.

But I have noticed that when I go several days with ****ty sleep patterns, I get sick shortly thereafter.
  • I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne. Whenever someone in my office is sick or I am in big crowds of potentially plague carrying people, I drink it. And I'm rarely sick.

There is no evidence that is has any efficacy at all. The company that makes it has been sued successfully for false claims.

Then don't use it if it doesn't have your research based seal of approval. But since it seems to work for me and many of my friends, I'll continue to use it and recommend it.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    I know it hasn't been proven by science or whatever, but I swear by Airborne. Whenever someone in my office is sick or I am in big crowds of potentially plague carrying people, I drink it. And I'm rarely sick.

This. I swear by Airborne as well.
  • kmadki4
    kmadki4 Posts: 20 Member
    I eat like a normal person (meaning the occasional junk in addition to a well balanced diet), do not take any supplements or vitamins, rarely get enough physical activity and I NEVER get sick. Honestly, I do wash my hands a lot, but even when I was younger and didn't wash my hands as well, I rarely got sick. I think genetics and a well-primed immune system play a huge role.

ETA: I do get a yearly flu shot.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

Then don't use it if it doesn't have your research based seal of approval. But since it seems to work for me and many of my friends, I'll continue to use it and recommend it.

Enjoy your expensive vitamins. Careful with the vitamin A:

http://cspinet.org/new/200803032.html
    “There’s no credible evidence that what’s in Airborne can prevent colds or protect you from a germy environment,” said CSPI senior nutritionist David Schardt, who reviewed Airborne’s claims. “Airborne is basically an overpriced, run-of-the-mill vitamin pill that’s been cleverly, but deceptively, marketed.”
    Airborne’s basic formula contains Vitamins A, C, and E, as well as other nutrients common in multivitamins; the amino acids glutamine and lysine, and an “herbal extract proprietary blend.” CSPI cautions that Airborne may provide too much vitamin A, since just two pills provide 10,000 IU—the maximum safe level for a day—and the package directs customers to take three per day.