Thinking about paleo...

Options
Hi everyone! I'm considering the paleo diet, and I know you wonderful people know more about it than I do. What advice or information can you give about it?? Has it worked for you??

Replies

• meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't do it....too restrictive for me. I just do portion/calorie control. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's a fine foundation for a healthy diet, but don't take it as gospel. Grains aren't going to harm you within your calorie goal.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you really know what it is and can do it for life, good on you! I won't do it for a few reasons: 1. I know there are foods I like and am not willing to cut them out of my diet entirely, 2. I don't see the need to be that extreme when I can eat the way I eat now and still be successful. But, to each their own.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, if you want to try it, then do so. But if after trying it you dont feel like it could be a true lifestyle change and you couldnt eat like that for the rest of your life, then its prob not for you.
    It has been phenomenal for me. I feel better than I ever have and I have lost 41lbs since making the change
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's a tough change of habits. I myself would prefer a more moderate, less restrictive version of it. I do like Mark's Daily Apple though - he has some good nuggets of advice for would be paleo eaters: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I did it religiously for about 2 months. I felt great, but it's extremely hard to do in today's society. My diet now is still mostly paleo, but I do have the occasional bread/cereal/pasta. But if I am having pasta, it's whole wheat and I make the sauce and meatballs myself.

The link that Captain_Tightpants recommended is amazing. Another one is www.foodee.com. I LOVE that one. So many amazing recipes that are delish!!

Another thing I recommend is you are really thinking about paleo is reading the book "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. It's a good read and really breaks down the whole paleo thing with scientific facts. It will definitely change the way you think about food!

Good luck!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Just curious why you consider it to be extreme?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    If you really know what it is and can do it for life, good on you! I won't do it for a few reasons: 1. I know there are foods I like and am not willing to cut them out of my diet entirely, 2. I don't see the need to be that extreme when I can eat the way I eat now and still be successful. But, to each their own.

• ubermensch13
    Options

I thought this was pretty obvious. It is extreme because it removes entire foods from your diet. Like Atkins, it has a "no eat list". I find anything that says "You can't eat this ever", extreme, unless I am doing so because of a medical reason. However, even then, it might be extreme but necessary.
  • ubermensch13
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying it is BAD, just it is a limited diet plan that I wouldn't ever do myself. If the Poster wants to try it, good on her and good luck. Whatever works for you as a life long plan, yay!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I thought this was pretty obvious. It is extreme because it removes entire foods from your diet. Like Atkins, it has a "no eat list". I find anything that says "You can't eat this ever", extreme, unless I am doing so because of a medical reason. However, even then, it might be extreme but necessary.

Atkins has a TEMPORARY no eat list...............everything is eventually added back in through the phases of the plan. This is good for Diabetics, especially.

Paleo focuses on eating for health and healing the body, especially when you have Metabolic or Auto-Immune issues.

I transitioned from Atkins to Paleo............my weight loss has slowed down tremendously, but health wise I feel so much better.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

You have to plan, plan, plan. Always have food ready so you know what your going to eat at home, work, school or on the go.

I keep some cooked meats, soups / stews, cut up fruits and vegetables at hand for when I feel the need to eat something.

Home made bone broth is exceptionally nutritional and filling.

You want to up your fat and protein intake.

Experiment with spices, herbs and such so your meals don't get boring.

Get adequate sleep and don't deprive yourself.

Eat, Play, move slowly and occasionally lift heavy things.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Duh, no doughnuts..... Jeebus!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Broth is filling?:laugh:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Although I agree with it's focus on whole and minimally processed foods, I find it to be unnecessarily exclusionary.

The exclusions of potatoes, beans, and dairy are good examples. Also, while wheat isn't exactly a nutritional powerhouse, I disagree with the blanket exclusion of grains where there are no underlying digestions issues.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My priceless advice: make sure you understand what the lifestyle entails. Is if for you? Then join the Paleo/primal forums. We'd be happy to share our experience with you.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Broth is filling?:laugh:

Yes, actually, homemade BONE BROTH is very filling. We aren't talking about broth in a can or box, which may be the only kind you've have ever had. lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    With any restrictive diet - the first thing you should do is ask why....what are you trying to achieve? Then do the research to see if it will help achieve those goals and whether you will be able to adhere to it,
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying it is BAD, just it is a limited diet plan that I wouldn't ever do myself. If the Poster wants to try it, good on her and good luck. Whatever works for you as a life long plan, yay!

Exactly my neighbor 's do it so I tried it - I really couldn't stick with it it was too restrictive for me but it seems to work for them and they love it
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Before you try paleo, I would try the search feature in the forums. Its a helpful tool since this topic has been beaten to death.