the KETOGENIC diet.

Options
Effects of the diet:

■You will see rapid weight loss of up to 6 pounds for a 200 pound person in the first 48 hours. This is your kidneys releasing water as they expel their sodium due to the absence of insulin. It’s what you’ve usually heard described as “water weight”.

Im in desperate need to loose weight.... you think you can relly loose 6 pounds in 2 days?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    That is one of the most inaccurate things I've ever read

ETA: You should focus on fat loss not water loss
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's not a race, lose weight the right way so it stays off. Just a few pounds a week by reducing your calories and exercising. No diet scams.

It's the only thing that really works. Do this the right way. Otherwise you'll just have to do it again later.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You drop water weight because of the low carbs. 6lb? It depends on how much you retain. You need to look at the longer term.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do a bit more research and even if you dont do more research...take a breath and read what you wrote

does that even sound like a good thing?

p.s. it's wrong information
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I see you are new here. You don't have to go to any extremes to lose weight. To start, I would recommend tracking what you eat for a couple of weeks and then, go from there. Maybe, all you need to do is eat smaller portions or just cut out some junk food here and there.

The ketogenic diet doesn't work in the way that you describe it. It potentially can have a bad impact on your health in the long-term. And, it can be difficult and unsustainable. Dieting doesn't have to be hard. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If your ticker is correct, you are 21 years old and have 95lbs to lose. That is NOT 'desperate'. Desperate would be a 50 year old 500lb guy with a heart condition who has been told to lose it or die.

Do it steadily and sensibly and it will stay off.

You may even lose 6lbs in water weight in the first week - on ANY calorie deficit (not just ketogenic) - but it will (and should) slow down after that. After all, it's not water you want to lose - it's stored fat.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    ^^^THIS^^^ To everything posted after the OP.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Wait.. what?

The first 48 is alllllll water like people are saying but don't look at keto as a miracle to lose weight instantly. The real key is to pick a diet/lifestyle you can maintain.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    The ketogenic diet doesn't work in the way that you describe it. It potentially can have a bad impact on your health in the long-term. And, it can be difficult and unsustainable. Dieting doesn't have to be hard. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

It can also be completely healthy in the long term. Not one significant study has concluded either way.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Wait.. what?

Do you know what insulin does?
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Just as important, do you? My wife is a Type 1, mother in law type 1, dad type 2, brother type 2. Having to take care of two of the 4, yea I got an idea. You either make it or you do not. Then you have resistance to it to varying degrees. So tell me where going keto relates to "If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die. " and cite research please.

Otherwise, the statement "If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die" is patently an obvious yes. How does it relate to keto specifically?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

It can also be completely healthy in the long term. Not one significant study has concluded either way.

Actually, studies have shown that consuming large quantities of protein and limited carbs can damage the liver. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. But a diet has to be balanced to be healthy.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    Actually, studies have shown that consuming large quantities of protein and limited carbs can damage the liver. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. But a diet has to be balanced to be healthy.

Citations please, I can link many PubMed research studies that say the opposite or that the temporary elevated enzymes are far outweighed by the benefit of the weight loss.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Just as important, do you? My wife is a Type 1, mother in law type 1, dad type 2, brother type 2. Having to take care of two of the 4, yea I got an idea. You either make it or you do not. Then you have resistance to it to varying degrees. So tell me where going keto relates to "If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die. " and cite research please.

Otherwise, the statement "If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die" is patently an obvious yes. How does it relate to keto specifically?

That is common knowledge. Type 1 diabetics have to take insulin to avoid death. Or they could just not eat. But either way, the result is death.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I'll stick to the KETTLECORN diet.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

You need sources to know that lack of insulin will kill you?
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    A dangerous condition called ketoacidosis can develop in those with type 1 diabetes, and it is sometimes confused with normal ketosis. The body usually avoids this state by producing insulin, but people with type 1 diabetes are unable to produce insulin. Even most people with type 2 diabetes who inject insulin usually produce enough insulin of their own to prevent ketoacidosis.

just was reading this and thought it might apply to what some ppl were discussing...
  • Bakkasan
    Options

You need sources to know that lack of insulin will kill you?
    [/quote]

I am quoting this so you can read it clearly. Try again. Try REALLY HARD.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. or as my nan likes to say, opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.