the KETOGENIC diet.

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That is one of the most inaccurate things I've ever read

ETA: You should focus on fat loss not water loss

Absolutely agree. Fat loss is healthy--fluid loss is not.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Anyway...

To the OP - Just start simple. You can tweak it later if you feel you need to.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Just as important, do you? My wife is a Type 1, mother in law type 1, dad type 2, brother type 2. Having to take care of two of the 4, yea I got an idea. You either make it or you do not. Then you have resistance to it to varying degrees. So tell me where going keto relates to "If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die. " and cite research please.

Otherwise, the statement "If you have an absence of insulin, you'll die" is patently an obvious yes. How does it relate to keto specifically?

I was addressing the OP's statement: "This is your kidneys releasing water as they expel their sodium due to the absence of insulin."

Just to be clear, I am familiar with ketogenic diets, I am aware that they don't eliminate insulin, and I don't think they are dangerous.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The ketogenic diet doesn't work in the way that you describe it. It potentially can have a bad impact on your health in the long-term. And, it can be difficult and unsustainable. Dieting doesn't have to be hard. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

It can also be completely healthy in the long term. Not one significant study has concluded either way.

Low-carbohydrate–high-protein diet and long-term survival in a general population cohort.
    European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2007) 61, 575–581

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v61/n5/full/1602557a.html
  • Chardonneh
    Options
    http://youtu.be/FSeSTq-N4U4

I have lived this way for the past 3 months and am down 26 lbs. You do need to make sure you are adding salt ( in moderation), your kidneys will release fluids in the first week on this diet. The key is to cut out SUGAR carbs, all sugar and never look back.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    That is one of the most inaccurate things I've ever read

ETA: You should focus on fat loss not water loss

Those pies are bomb.com. Just sayin. YUM!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Effects of the diet:

■You will see rapid weight loss of up to 6 pounds for a 200 pound person in the first 48 hours. This is your kidneys releasing water as they expel their sodium due to the absence of insulin. It’s what you’ve usually heard described as “water weight”.

Im in desperate need to loose weight.... you think you can relly loose 6 pounds in 2 days?

Ketosis is NOT a healthy condition for more than a few days and you will tend to gain the weight back as soon as you go back to regular eating. Why not follow a more moderate plan? Keeping your carb intake at 100-200 grams per day (the more active you are, the higher your carbs should be) is safe and you won't go into ketosis (a mildly toxic condition). If you keep your carb intake at that level (between 100-200 grams) and keep your activity level high, you will rarely experience hunger (unless you have been especially active that day) and you will lose weight gradually and safely. You will be unlikely to go over your calorie allotment either as much of the average person's calories come from eating a lot of sugar and simple carbs like bread and pasta (which tend to be, more or less, nutritional zeros and the dieter cannot afford empty calories). You must eat LOTS of vegetables if you want to lose body fat healthfully. Try to get the bulk of your carbs from eating vegetables and fruits. Very low fat diets are bad because they lead to essential fatty acid depletion as well as fat-soluble vitamin depletion. I personally think that is why so many people gain so much weight after they go off a very low fat diet. Their bodies are starved for nutrients so they eat everything in sight once they go off of the diet.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Hahahah 6lbs in 48 hrs....I wish....

A Ketogenic regime is what I currently follow, by choice and after reading many resources. It is as "dangerous" as any "diet" can be if not done properly. It is not all meat, cheese and fat...part of its successes is the inclusion of other foods to ensure you are meeting all your macro nutrients as well as your micro.

Your first priority should be to evaluate your current nutritional practices and your average energy expenditure. Closely and honestly log your caloric input and output. Get a good idea of what your Basal Metabolic rate is (BMR - many calculators on line can get you close but it may require adjustment over time) there are several calculators online.

Try to stay within a +/- 200 cal range of your BMR (initially, closer once you have a better idea what that really is) at the lowest and below your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) and no matter what path you take weight loss will occur. How you decide to approach your overall health, sense of well being, fitness and physical aesthetics is up to you.

Don't under eat! (Or don't make it a regular habit) [occasional fasting has worked for many].

A quick fix is never healthy (mentally or physically).
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Effects of the diet:

■You will see rapid weight loss of up to 6 pounds for a 200 pound person in the first 48 hours. This is your kidneys releasing water as they expel their sodium due to the absence of insulin. It’s what you’ve usually heard described as “water weight”.

Im in desperate need to loose weight.... you think you can relly loose 6 pounds in 2 days?

Ketosis is NOT a healthy condition for more than a few days and you will tend to gain the weight back as soon as you go back to regular eating. Why not follow a more moderate plan? Keeping your carb intake at 100-200 grams per day (the more active you are, the higher your carbs should be) is safe and you won't go into ketosis (a mildly toxic condition). If you keep your carb intake at that level (between 100-200 grams) and keep your activity level high, you will rarely experience hunger (unless you have been especially active that day) and you will lose weight gradually and safely. You will be unlikely to go over your calorie allotment either as much of the average person's calories come from eating a lot of sugar and simple carbs like bread and pasta (which tend to be, more or less, nutritional zeros and the dieter cannot afford empty calories). You must eat LOTS of vegetables if you want to lose body fat healthfully. Try to get the bulk of your carbs from eating vegetables and fruits. Very low fat diets are bad because they lead to essential fatty acid depletion as well as fat-soluble vitamin depletion. I personally think that is why so many people gain so much weight after they go off a very low fat diet. Their bodies are starved for nutrients so they eat everything in sight once they go off of the diet.

While I mostly agree with you, your post is filled with several half truths.

1. Hunger is interesting and varies from person to person -- there are no TRUTHS really IMO. Some say that high fat reduces appetite, others say protein does, while others still NEED a starch in order to feel satisfied.

2. You don't have to eat LOTS of vegetables to lose weight healthfully--adequate amounts of micronutrients can come from a modest vegetable intake.

3. Weight gain is common in ALL DIETERS not just those who choose the low fat route.
  • HendricksGolfGirl
    HendricksGolfGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Atkins is the version of the Ketogenic diet that I used a couple of years ago. I had great results with it and lost 40 lbs. in 6 months. I went from 196 to 156 and a size 20 to a size 6 (depending on brands, etc). I was also trotting from 1-7 miles per day. I actually felt pretty good. You will notice that it is not what I am doing now, though. It was unsustainable for me. I felt great, but even the smell of bread or sugar would stop me from being able to think about anything else. Pancakes were like manna from heaven. You get the idea. I was going nuts trying to stay away from carbohydrate rich foods. Does Atkins work? For me, it did work. Could I eat until I was full? Yes, I could. Did I miss carbohydrate rich foods so badly that it affected my quality of life? Yes, I missed bread and pasta so bad it was affecting my life. What you choose for a diet is up to you, but make sure it is sustainable and practical for you. The latest research shows that low carbohydrate high protein diets do increase some inflammation markers, but that the results of that is unknown. Research also shows that low carb diets do work, and they work quickly. It also shows that most people gain back the weight over the long term, because the diet is difficult to maintain. That was my experience as well.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The ketogenic diet doesn't work in the way that you describe it. It potentially can have a bad impact on your health in the long-term. And, it can be difficult and unsustainable. Dieting doesn't have to be hard. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

It can also be completely healthy in the long term. Not one significant study has concluded either way.

I am sure Rachel Huskey's parents would disagree with you.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Actually, studies have shown that consuming large quantities of protein and limited carbs can damage the liver. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. But a diet has to be balanced to be healthy.

I agree--the ketogenic diet is also unhealthy for the kidneys (the kidneys and liver work together as major parts of the detoxification system). Besides that, studies have shown that ketogenic diets do not spare muscle tissue and a person can end up with LESS muscle after following a ketogenic diet because the obese body will often catabolize lean muscle tissue for energy instead of burning fat stores. If you are going to keep it off, slow and steady wins the race.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to the KETTLECORN diet.

OOO nomnom share!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Actually, studies have shown that consuming large quantities of protein and limited carbs can damage the liver. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. But a diet has to be balanced to be healthy.

I agree--the ketogenic diet is also unhealthy for the kidneys (the kidneys and liver work together as major parts of the detoxification system). Besides that, studies have shown that ketogenic diets do not spare muscle tissue and a person can end up with LESS muscle after following a ketogenic diet because the obese body will often catabolize lean muscle tissue for energy instead of burning fat stores. If you are going to keep it off, slow and steady wins the race.

I would like to see evidence of this
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs. in a week on the atkins induction.

But I was a beached whale barely able to move off the sand though.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Effects of the diet:

While I mostly agree with you, your post is filled with several half truths.

1. Hunger is interesting and varies from person to person -- there are no TRUTHS really IMO. Some say that high fat reduces appetite, others say protein does, while others still NEED a starch in order to feel satisfied.

2. You don't have to eat LOTS of vegetables to lose weight healthfully--adequate amounts of micronutrients can come from a modest vegetable intake.

3. Weight gain is common in ALL DIETERS not just those who choose the low fat route.

While I agree that hunger is an individual thing, avoiding sugar and simple carbs will help to even out the blood sugar swings that is often the underlying cause of undisciplined eating. When I say LOTS of vegetables, it is because the average person eats barely any vegetables. What feels like LOTS to that person may just be merely an adequate amount of vegetables. :smile: While it is true that weight gain is common to all dieters, those who lose body fat slowly and safely tend to keep it off better than crash dieters. It is really a lot a matter of nourishing your body properly which includes cutting out the excess empty calories that made you fat in the first place. That person will need to cut those types of calories out permanently. I simply do not eat sugar or starch and I intend to stay that way for the rest of my life. I find that I don't even desire those foods anymore now that I am nourishing my body properly. It doesn't mean that I can't have the occasional ice cream cone in the summer or a rich dessert or two over the holidays. But when those occasional splurges are over, I go back to my regular healthy eating. Thanks for the response. :smile:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Ya bastid!! Got me there! Similar study in Sweden was inconclusive except for the women.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's not a race, lose weight the right way so it stays off. Just a few pounds a week by reducing your calories and exercising. No diet scams.

It's the only thing that really works. Do this the right way. Otherwise you'll just have to do it again later.

It's actually not the only thing that works. Everyone is different. I for one cannot restrict and add more activity, I need Atkins.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Atkins is the version of the Ketogenic diet that I used a couple of years ago. I had great results with it and lost 40 lbs. in 6 months. I went from 196 to 156 and a size 20 to a size 6 (depending on brands, etc). I was also trotting from 1-7 miles per day. I actually felt pretty good. You will notice that it is not what I am doing now, though. It was unsustainable for me. I felt great, but even the smell of bread or sugar would stop me from being able to think about anything else. Pancakes were like manna from heaven. You get the idea. I was going nuts trying to stay away from carbohydrate rich foods. Does Atkins work? For me, it did work. Could I eat until I was full? Yes, I could. Did I miss carbohydrate rich foods so badly that it affected my quality of life? Yes, I missed bread and pasta so bad it was affecting my life. What you choose for a diet is up to you, but make sure it is sustainable and practical for you. The latest research shows that low carbohydrate high protein diets do increase some inflammation markers, but that the results of that is unknown. Research also shows that low carb diets do work, and they work quickly. It also shows that most people gain back the weight over the long term, because the diet is difficult to maintain. That was my experience as well.

Yes---a LOWER carbohydrate diet (especially one that eliminates the empty calories in sweets and starches) can work well. I never have that reaction to bread or sweets because I eat a slice of whole grain rye bread every day (two on the days that I work out) and I eat a couple of servings of fruit every day (a no-no on a ketogenic diet). I believe that the cravings come when our bodies are starved for nutrients. A ketogenic diet can lead to serious depletion problems and once you go off of it, you are driven to overeat in order to fill up those deficits.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

I would like to see evidence of this

The muscle-sparing effect of adequate carbohydrate intake is well known. You can Google a lot of articles on it. One study that I read (I'll see if I can find it) looked at a ketogenic diet vs. a well-planned, no sugar, no starch diet. At the end of the trial period, it was found (through boyancy analysis) that the ketogenic dieter had actually lost more lean tissue than the more moderate dieter. That is the real reason why ketogenic diets tend to cause the dieter to gain back the weight when they go off the diet.