Christmas Mini Rant.

Options
redheaddee
redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
Mini vent: I have seen a bunch of "Let's put the Christ back in Christmas" on FB today. Here's the thing: not everyone is Christian. That does not mean those folks cannot celebrate the spirit of Christmas. Why do we give a flying fig about Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays? How about let's instead take the time to respect the values and traditions this holiday season represents, and worry less about the damn verbage. That is all.

Replies

• emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I love Christmas, I love singing carols (specifically rude versions of Good King Wenceslas and Silent Night) and buying gifts and working in the soup kitchen on Christmas day feeding the homeless.

I also absolutely love cooking dinner for my friends, decorating my tree and getting drunk on egg nog.

None of which has anything to do with my religious beliefs as I am atheist .....
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Just remember...Christ wouldn't have been born on Christmas if it wasn't for those pesky pagans...
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Yes!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Just remember...Christ wouldn't have been born on Christmas if it wasn't for those pesky pagans...
    ^This.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Merry Christmas to you too!
  • n0ob
    Options
    I'm fine as long as no one says happy Christmas on this side of the pond...
  • wolfpack77
    Options
    You should be more concerned about how holidays like Christmas promote rampant consumerism which is destroying our planet, increasing the national debt and supporting slave labor.

Stop buying *kitten* you (and other people) don't need for the sake of a holiday you don't even believe in. There's 7 billion of us now. Thats a lot of mouths to feed.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, especially when my friends on facebook claim that everybody is declaring war on Christmas and all the other mindless drivel that goes along with that.
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Happy christmas and a merry new year dude....
  • n0ob
    Options

Happy christmas and a merry new year dude....

Merry kwanza to you too
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You should be more concerned about how holidays like Christmas promote rampant consumerism which is destroying our planet, increasing the national debt and supporting slave labor.

Stop buying *kitten* you (and other people) don't need for the sake of a holiday you don't even believe in. There's 7 billion of us now. Thats a lot of mouths to feed.

Well said
  • redheaddee
    Options

Well said

You make an assumption, but remember what they say about assuming. My gifts for family and friends consist of homemade gift baskets which I find at thrift shops and fill with things like relishes, jellies, dried spices, etc. that I have grown and prepared myself. I make calendars with family photos for the grands and other close family. I have a wonderful, day long celebration with as many family that can get here so we can celebrate the season together. Read my OP again, and like I said previously, let us remember the values and the spirit of the holiday season.

ETA: stores promote it because people buy it.Simple supply and demand.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    It's Merry Christmas..it's always been Merry Christmas.

tumblr_m76uxj6zMI1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options

^^^ This!! Along with Valentines Day... We can rename the last two holidays to ThanksEATING and ThanksBUYING, so many people suffer this time of the year... hopefully you are celebrating family, friends and loved ones no matter what you believe in and honestly you shouldn't have to max out your credit cards to do that. As far as Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays... I am a christian so I tell people Merry Christmas, I am not offended if someone says Happy Holidays or Happy Kawanza or anything else they want to say, I'm just happy they think enough of me to wish me happy anything.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

You mad bro?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

^^^ This!! Along with Valentines Day... We can rename the last two holidays to ThanksEATING and ThanksBUYING, so many people suffer this time of the year... you should be celebrating family, friends and loved ones and honestly you shouldn't have to max out your credit cards to do that.

I see you mad too..
  • redheaddee
    Options
    It's Merry Christmas..it's always been Merry Christmas.

tumblr_m76uxj6zMI1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

But prior to it becoming Christmas, it was a pagan holiday...

"Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. "

"In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians"

So historically speaking, Merry Christmas was not the original. Deal with it.
  • wolfpack77
    Options

You mad bro?

nah. Just callin it like I see it.

Bro.
  • redheaddee
    Options
    I am a christian so I tell people Merry Christmas, I am not offended if someone says Happy Holidays or Happy Kawanza or anything else they want to say, I'm just happy they think enough of me to wish me happy anything.

I am not Christian, but I respect all faiths & I agree with this statement completely, and is really my point. Stop wah-wahing about whether someone says Merry Christmas, Hapy Holiday, or Happy Christmas across the pond (LOL). Just say thank you and respond in kind. I just get tired of the petty PC nonsense that some are concerned over, such as specific wording at the holidays. Is that really our biggest concern? Merry Happy Christmas Holiday to all, and to all, a good night :laugh:

ETA: MFP needs spell check, seriously. LOL
  • n0ob
    Options
    I bought a $130 fishing rod that I didn't need the other day...

Paid a penny for it...(incompetent employees and a closed out model they were trying to purge from their system. I say incompetent employees because if it was marked with a sale tag earlier, it would have sold before they dropped the price to a penny).
This discussion has been closed.