Options
    I like cake.

^^Lies. You like pie.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I like cake.

^^Lies. You like pie.

I like pie. I eat it every chance I'm given.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I like cake.

^^Lies. You like pie.

But do you stalk it?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well as a Christian I revisit the questions in my head each year as to why I feel the need to get a tree and ornaments and gifts and all that jazz... none of which is Christian. Besides, I think Jesus was born in September?
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It's Merry Christmas..it's always been Merry Christmas.

tumblr_m76uxj6zMI1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

^^^^:heart:
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I like cake.

^^Lies. You like pie.

OMW
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Besides, I think Jesus was born in September?
    So he's not a Capricorn after all? This changes everything.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Those who spout that nonsense don't seem to realize that all the holiday traditions they practice were ripped off from the Pagans and the Romans and various other cultures. It's dumb as hell.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who always writes it as CHRISTmas. Every. Single. Time. On Facebook. On Pinterest. In emails. It's getting pretty crazy. I get she doesn't like when people use "xmas", but just write "Christmas", FFS. No need for passive-aggressive caps lock.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who always writes it as CHRISTmas. Every. Single. Time. On Facebook. On Pinterest. In emails. It's getting pretty crazy. I get she doesn't like when people use "xmas", but just write "Christmas", FFS. No need for passive-aggressive caps lock.

Some people think it's okay to shove their beliefs down the throats of others, but then cries victim when they're given a taste of their own medicine.
  • kayduro
    kayduro Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It's Merry Christmas..it's always been Merry Christmas.

tumblr_m76uxj6zMI1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

But prior to it becoming Christmas, it was a pagan holiday...

"Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. "

"In the 4th century CE, Christianity imported the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians"

So historically speaking, Merry Christmas was not the original. Deal with it.

Happy Saturnalia!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Not to mention the X in xmas also stands for Christ.... the X is from the Greek letter Chi, the first letter in the Greek work for Christ, Christos. So... the Christ is literally still in Christmas.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

You should make sure she knows the origin of the word xmas...
  • justkeepswimng
    Options
    My dad is a southern baptist pastor. Growing up we weren't allowed to celebrate christmas because it stemmed from a pagan holiday (yes, my parent's were cultic strict). Now I am agnostic and I have other atheists and agnostics telling me that I shouldn't celebrate christmas because it represents christianity.

I say F#*% that! Holy mother, people. I can celebrate whatever the hell I want, whenever the hell I want regardless of what it does or does not represent to a group of people. What it represents to me is togetherness, giving, pretty decorations and addictive music. I love it and will celebrate it no matter what people think about what I should or should not do based on my beliefs.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas!, Happy Chanukah! Happy Kwanzaa! Feliz Navidad! Mele kelikimaka! Buon Natale! ........:drinker:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Mini vent: I have seen a bunch of "Let's put the Christ back in Christmas" on FB today. Here's the thing: not everyone is Christian. That does not mean those folks cannot celebrate the spirit of Christmas. Why do we give a flying fig about Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays? How about let's instead take the time to respect the values and traditions this holiday season represents, and worry less about the damn verbage. That is all.

I've been calling it GIftmas for years. Seems more accurate.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    My dad is a southern baptist pastor. Growing up we weren't allowed to celebrate christmas because it stemmed from a pagan holiday (yes, my parent's were cultic strict). Now I am agnostic and I have other atheists and agnostics telling me that I shouldn't celebrate christmas because it represents christianity.

I say F#*% that! Holy mother, people. I can celebrate whatever the hell I want, whenever the hell I want regardless of what it does or does not represent to a group of people. What it represents to me is togetherness, giving, pretty decorations and addictive music. I love it and will celebrate it no matter what people think about what I should or should not do based on my beliefs.

Hear hear! I am agnostic but see Christmas as a time for families to get together and enjoy good food, a family film in front of a cosy fire and a laugh together! The whole father christmas thing was lovely when the kids were little and really annoying when they were teenagers (as they were all about the presents! past Santa by then of course) but now they are adults it is back to being a day spent together and visiting with other family too.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options

Hear hear! I am agnostic but see Christmas as a time for families to get together and enjoy good food, a family film in front of a cosy fire and a laugh together! The whole father christmas thing was lovely when the kids were little and really annoying when they were teenagers (as they were all about the presents! past Santa by then of course) but now they are adults it is back to being a day spent together and visiting with other family too.
    oh and of course the Dr Who Christmas special!
This discussion has been closed.